Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Is this the Model 3 screaming bargain alternative?

Would you consider this alternative?

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I ask this as a real question. I have been laid up with a cold and M3 wait fatigue so have had ample
time to do some deep research - like deep learning but without the bothersome
machine expense. i
SO - I have come up with an enticing alternative to hanging around hoping
for a delivery with decent build quality and the features desired....
The Hyundai Ioniq plug in hybrid limited model
has every key feature currently available for the M3 including adaptive cruise and lane keeping.
After the Federal rebates are subtracted from each car the cost saving out the door is over $10K.
or over 20%.
Considering that there are not nearly enough charging stations for the Ioniq it is reassuring
that they have included an ICE to bring the range up to over 600 miles. Electric only range is
under 40 miles so consider your daily commute - if you are young enough to still have one.
Of course this will not be as fun to drive - but it is for my wife who is more an A to B driver.
Any thoughts?

I ask this as a real question. I have been laid up with a cold and M3 wait fatigue so have had ample
machine expense. i
has every key feature currently available for the M3 including adaptive cruise and lane keeping.
After the Federal rebates are subtracted from each car the cost saving out the door is over $10K.
or over 20%.
Considering that there are not nearly enough charging stations for the Ioniq it is reassuring
that they have included an ICE to bring the range up to over 600 miles. Electric only range is
under 40 miles so consider your daily commute - if you are young enough to still have one.
Of course this will not be as fun to drive - but it is for my wife who is more an A to B driver.
Any thoughts?

hi, first time poster here. i'm in the same boat. put my reservation down and now getting antsy. thanks for the alternative. never heard of it, but looks interesting. from what i've been reading in the news, the m3 is having lot of build issues. i'm thinking of canceling my reservation and looking into other (cheaper) options.

I don't know how can one think of it as even a remote alternative. It's a hybrid with 40 miles of range, come on. It's car alternative, as are hundreds other cars, it's not an electric car alternative to M3.

Actually there isn't any Model 3 alternative currently available or planned. There's no another electric car of the same price, size, range and in "premium" category. You either have Leaf, Bolt, Hyundai electric Ioniq or upcoming Kona, which are all smaller cars and in lower market segment than Tesla. Or you have bigger cars or from luxury segment like Jaguar I-Pace or Porsche Mission-E or Audio E-Tron.

• Helpful
Reactions: Krugerrand
A poll like this posted on a Tesla enthusiast forum won't give you meaningful results. Just saying... in case you were hoping to be convinced that you were being silly for waiting for the M3. ;)

If you're seriously considering plug-in alternatives, also check out the Honda Clarity PHEV. It doesn't drive as well as the Accord and the adaptive cruise control implementation is only mediocre, but it's spacious, quiet, and practical.

Reactions: WileyTheMan
If I couldn't get the 3 now I'd probably wait little for the upcoming S refresh and get that. I don't think any of the current market EV or PHEV offerings would temp me. If it's not a Tesla, then it's going to be f *** the planet, I'm getting a Porsche Macan GTS.

If you only need 40 miles of charge, get a used Volt.

Personally, I looked at my 2014 Volt as the transition car from having a 2011 Nissan Leaf & a 2006 Honda Fit for when I needed to go more than 60 miles, and my Model 3 where there will be no more need for an ICE.

machine expense. i
or over 20%.
Any thoughts?

Sure. It’s almost equivalent like a BMW 3 series and a Corolla.

machine expense. i
or over 20%.
Any thoughts?

Why havent you bought a Prius?

• Funny
Reactions: dhrivnak
Would I? absolutely not.

Why?

1. Most importantly: The adaptive cruise doesn't look like it handles stop-and-go traffic.

2. It's front wheel drive.

3. It's slow.

4. It's hideous.

5. It's a hybrid. With the exception of performance hybrids like the 918, I have no interest in BS half measures. Give me a good gasser before a hybrid.

There are nice things to say about it, too, but hey… you asked :p

Reactions: xav-
If you can't bear the wait for your M3 (the bright side is production issues should be worked out by then), perhaps you could use that spare time to monitor the certified pre-owned (CPO) Model S market. You might find one to your liking with free lifetime Tesla charging network access.

Reactions: cybergates
f you're seriously considering plug-in alternatives, also check out the Honda Clarity PHEV. It doesn't drive as well as the Accord and the adaptive cruise control implementation is only mediocre, but it's spacious, quiet, and practical.

I keep trying to like the Clarity. But it looks like some '90s designer Rip van Winkled into 2018 and finally crafted the ultimate "futuristic" vehicle for driving while you imbibe Pepsi Clear. It is the Pontiac Aztek of hybrids. I just can't make it happen.

Keep in mind the Ioniq PHEV (incomparable to M3 on any level imo) does NOT have a pure EV mode. Unless you drive with an egg under the pedal, only on surface streets (no freeway above ~70mph), and don't use the heater; the gas motor will kick in at some point. This makes it a non starter for me unfortunately.

If Tesla keeps pushing the M3 SR deliveries out of the full US $7500 tax credit, I too am looking at PHEV alternatives. New Volt gen2 can be had for $18K + TTL nowadays, but sadly I went to look at it and sadly don't fit in it. Prius Prime does not have enough EV only range. And the Clarity has a cone of ugly around it I just can't get past.

In Europe and uk there is the new Hyundai KONA electric. Pure electric with up tp 300 miles range. Is that being sold in US ?

It appears that the Hyundai KONA electric with a 292 mile version will be released in the US later this year.

I had to "cash out" of the Tesla 3 waiting game due to my 2013 Volt needing to be replaced immediately (170k miles). I traded for a new 2018 Volt and am very happy. My work commute is 40 miles round trip, the Volt is rated for 50 AER miles, mine is running between 60-70 AER. Basically, I have an all electric car, with all the desired options/colors, loaded, high quality, locally serviced, for $19,000 after federal rebate - less any associated range anxiety. I look forward to the introduction of a greater selection of competitive options. I hope we see some neat competitive alternatives to the 3 in the next 2-4 years. Gotta admit, its nice having that customisable instrument panel in front, with all the independent controls easily accessible.

Would be nice if GM would drop an attractive sport body on the Bolt chassis, similar in appearance to this fake ad (improve the front end a little) Chevrolet Jolt EV – All-Electric Sports Car . They seem to have perfected the battery management systems - I could not detect any range loss on my 2013 170K miles, which stayed plugged in 240v every night.

Last edited:
Reactions: dhrivnak