Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Is this the right OBD wiring diagram for Model S late 2015 (blue connector)?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

slk-A4

Model S 85 12-2015
Oct 24, 2018
The Netherlands
Hi all,
I am from the Netherlands and I would like to make an OBD2 cable for my Model S from late 2015, so the one with the second generation connector, the blue one.

I ordered a self crimp OBD connector from Maxwell technologies. They offer three ready made cables for CAN2, for CAN3 and CAN6.

Now my 3 questions:
1. Is this the right wiring diagram?

20190112_103849-jpg.368298

2. Could I make one single cable in which all the OBD CAN protocols are combined, so CAN3, CAN2 and CAN6 in one cable as on the photo?. Or is this not possible? I want to scan with scanmytesla or a similar program the powertrain and the battery, so I'll at least need CAN3.

I guess I would then need four connections:
OBD6 (CAN3 High)
OBD14 (CAN3 Low)
OBD16 (12V)
OBD 4 or OBD5 (for GRN).

3. Should it be OBD4(chassisground, as I can see on a photo on Maxwell Technologies) or OBD5 (signal ground as found on this forum)?

I hope someone can help me because Maxwell does not provide any support.

Best regards from the Netherlands!
Peter

I just built one of these and connected the Tesla side ground to both pins 4 and 5 on the OBD connector side. Works fine. Your CAN3 connections are correct.

Also even though the OBDLink connector is expensive it is the only family that uses the ST protocol. SMT takes advantage of this and gets high data throughput as a result. I am using the OBDLink LX and it works very well.