Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Is this the speedo on the Model 3?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
From the recent release canditate photos:
View attachment 221307

View attachment 221308

I think this is a small dash built around the steering column. This could contain an LED speed readout as well as other LEDs for full beam etc.
I had made the same misidentification initially. The object you'd outlined in red is part of the steering column. From the angle of the shot, the display looks like it's behind the steering wheel and mounted on the do-hickey you'd outlined in red. I'm pretty sure there is still only one display and it is mounted to the right of the steering wheel as on the prototypes.

This photo, from the same set of spy photos taken of the same car (probably within seconds of the photo you posted), was shot directly in profile:
full

As you can see, the object circled in red in the other photo is part of the exposed steering column, there is no secondary display mounted on the steering column behind the steering wheel and the 15" display can be seen to the right (from the driver's perspective) of the steering wheel.

The only way I can explain the apparent discrepancy between the two photos is due to an optical illusion. The perspective of the shot, lens compression distortion, poor lighting and the tendency of one's brain to fill in information that's not there (e.g., seeing a UFO in a cloud formation) result in an image that appears to show a display behind the steering wheel. Either that or the driver quickly snapped it off as soon as he realized his car was being photographed. :D

However, let's not forget that Elon emphatically and repeatedly said "no second display".

I had made the same misidentification initially. The object you'd outlined in red is part of the steering column. From the angle of the shot, the display looks like it's behind the steering wheel and mounted on the do-hickey you'd outlined in red. I'm pretty sure there is still only one display and it is mounted to the right of the steering wheel as on the prototypes.

This photo, from the same set of spy photos taken of the same car (probably within seconds of the photo you posted), was shot directly in profile:
full

As you can see, the object circled in red in the other photo is part of the exposed steering column, there is no secondary display mounted on the steering column behind the steering wheel and the 15" display can be seen to the right (from the driver's perspective) of the steering wheel.

The only way I can explain the apparent discrepancy between the two photos is due to an optical illusion. The perspective of the shot, lens compression distortion, poor lighting and the tendency of one's brain to fill in information that's not there (e.g., seeing a UFO in a cloud formation) result in an image that appears to show a display behind the steering wheel. Either that or the driver quickly snapped it off as soon as he realized his car was being photographed. :D

However, let's not forget that Elon emphatically and repeatedly said "no second display".
Right, but the part behind what was circled in red on the previous picture is now the part in question. It looks like a panel or something is missing from the steering column.

IMG_8911.jpg

Also, there is either a light being emitted from the inner part of the steering wheel or its simply the sun's reflection (probably the latter) but that whole piece looks different from a normal tesla steering column with it like that.

Right, but the part behind what was circled in red on the previous picture is now the part in question. It looks like a panel or something is missing from the steering column.

View attachment 221430

Also, there is either a light being emitted from the inner part of the steering wheel or its simply the sun's reflection (probably the latter) but that whole piece looks different from a normal tesla steering column with it like that.
Looks like a retractable steering column to me. articulated hinge similar to Mercedes Retractable Steering Wheel. would make sense with Model 3 emphasis on self driving and fit the "spaceship controls" tweet.

Looks like a retractable steering column to me. articulated hinge similar to Mercedes Retractable Steering Wheel. would make sense with Model 3 emphasis on self driving and fit the "spaceship controls" tweet.
There's no chance the steering wheel's going to retract when self-driving. Tesla emphasizes that a driver must be ready to take over control all the time even when using self-driving. It's not a level 5 autonomy yet.

There's no chance the steering wheel's going to retract when self-driving. Tesla emphasizes that a driver must be ready to take over control all the time even when using self-driving. It's not a level 5 autonomy yet.

I agree of course there will not be a retracting steering wheel (at least nothing beyond the usual electric moving of the steering wheel, if offered).

That said, already Level 3 is car taking responsibility of the driving and giving ample time for the driver to take control once situation changes. Theoretically I guess a Level 3 car could pull back the steering wheel and extend it on need. German premium cars, after all, already partially retract their steering wheels as a pretty standard feature for things like entry/exit.