Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Is this tire repairable?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
M3P. Got a nail in my tire, looks like inside edge. Pics came out crappy, but posted below. Tires have almost 3000 miles on them. Don’t have time to take it to a tire shop today, so will go out tomorrow.

If they can’t fix because they are too close to the edge, I assume I’ll need to get 2 new tires due to the mileage. Tires are 19” Hankook Evo3.

What do you guys think?

947EFC41-D9D8-4282-B2BA-5CD3B4A1A523.jpeg
84F1E523-3F96-4803-92A6-3978CF484CE4.jpeg
595E5760-8800-4D22-9537-710A137E198A.jpeg

Tires can always be repaired no matter where the puncture is, but the repair is more likely to leak if it's really close to or within the sidewall. So to reduce liability (e.g. Ford Explorer / Firestone fiasco) and or customer returns/complaints many tire shops have a 1/2" rule that is somewhat open to interpretation.

Try an independent tire shop and if they refuse, consider doing it yourself with a plug kit. Thanks to Ford's f-up, there is no longer any risk of death from a poorly patched tire - nowadays the worst-case scenario is that you'd get a TPMS warning at an inconvenient time and have to stop at a gas station (yuck!) for air.

1658601470694.png

Reactions: f308gt4
Thanks everyone!

I had a few minutes during one of my errands this morning and stopped by a nearby Big-O, and sure enough they said it’s too close to the edge and not repairable. They are able to get me a set of the same tires cheaper than the TireRack price by tomorrow morning, so I’m just going to bring it back in and get them replaced.

No tire shop will touch it because they of course want you to buy new tires, but you can be damned sure I’d plug that myself for less than $10 and have a 99% chance of it lasting the entire life of the tire.

It’s such a fantastic waste of hundreds of dollars and resources to replace two essentially brand new tires for that.