Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Is this too close for AEB?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Probably hard to remember, but when the AEB kicks in you'll hear a chime. The AEB could've activated after you stepped on the brakes too. From the manual...

"When a frontal collision is considered unavoidable, Automatic Emergency Braking is designed to apply the brakes to reduce the severity of the impact, even if you are already applying the brakes."​

So maybe it did activate, just after you started braking. You can always contact tesla and have them pull your car's logs to confirm.

Let us know what they say too. I would also hope for the AEB to kick in a split second sooner, but after all it's designed to activate only when the impact is already unavoidable.

Sorry about your car!!

Probably hard to remember, but when the AEB kicks in you'll hear a chime. The AEB could've activated after you stepped on the brakes too. From the manual...

"When a frontal collision is considered unavoidable, Automatic Emergency Braking is designed to apply the brakes to reduce the severity of the impact, even if you are already applying the brakes."​

So maybe it did activate, just after you started braking. You can always contact tesla and have them pull your car's logs to confirm.

Let us know what they say too. I would also hope for the AEB to kick in a split second sooner, but after all it's designed to activate only when the impact is already unavoidable.

Sorry about your car!!

I didn't hear any sound when for AEB warning or Kicked in. My AEB setting is early, sometime I get warnings pretty early. But this time, nothing happened. Maybe because I just did a lane change.

Sorry about your AP2.

I saw reports of AP1 accidents so when I got my AP2, I have been very cautious and I have not trusted the system just because of what you just experienced.

Even if the AEB was activated, Tesla AEB has never been designed to save you from a collision. It is designed to brake to slow down to reduce the force of collision, but still, it is a collision!

It says that very clearly in your owner's manual.

I wonder if the fact that you changed lanes right before it happened had an effect - if the car had not acquired the SUV in time before it hit the brakes?

I didn't hear any sound when for AEB warning or Kicked in. My AEB setting is early, sometime I get warnings pretty early. But this time, nothing happened. Maybe because I just did a lane change.

I think those settings are for the collision warning beeps, not AEB.

...Maybe because I just did a lane change.

I encountered your scenarios quite a few times.

I was on AP2 Autosteer and I just overrode the steering to change lane. That would cancel the Autosteer.

However, the TACC would be still active and it would automatically brake to keep distance from the car in the new lane (quietly with no alert.)

No collisions and no alerts so far for me with exact same scenario as yours.

Sorry about the car........

Is it me, or does anyone else think that Toyota braked extremely hard for what it needed too? I can't stand being behind these massive SUVs that you can't see through to the car in front.

I wonder if the fact that you changed lanes right before it happened had an effect - if the car had not acquired the SUV in time before it hit the brakes?

I think that is exactly the issue. AEB/TACC wouldn't have had time to lock on and determine something bad was going to happen. In addition what is the lower speed limit for AEB? We know that AEB only reduces the unavoidable impact by 25 MPH. And in this case he was going just over 25 MPH, so I don't think AEB would do much of anything.

And in my opinion the SUV was following the car in front of it too closely and I wouldn't have changed lanes to behind it without a large gap because I would be afraid of exactly what happened happening.

AEB only activates when a collision is unavoidable. It's only designed to reduce speed. The fact that you were braking means that there isn't anything it could have done.

There also is no way to set early AEB. The early setting is for FCW.

From the video it's not to clear to me whether you were in TACC mode or not. I think that's a pretty dangerous maneuver to make under TACC. At least with the current version of it.

It's also impossible to gauge the deacceleration involved from a video. Videos don't covey what it was like in the moment. So you gotta add some kind of description.