Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Is this trip possible in the cold?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi,
I read some of the cold weather charging problems and I am wondering if my January ski trip is possible? Each day in a different ski resort with my Tesla S 85D. To be clear, the worry here is not the autonomy persay (I'll charge on the way from A to B if necessary) but the charging capacity in cold weather.
From Montreal to Stow, to Stratton Mountain to Mt Snow to Loon Mountain to Waterville Resort to Attritash and back home. 1 230 KM (765 miles)
Of course every nignt an hotel with charging station out there in the cold. My worry is the following :
If the temperature is in the -15C (5 F) for that week, I am worried that I will not be able to recharge at all overnight with possibly a "frozen" battery because during the day the car is parked at the ski resort not charging and getting colder.
Am I right?
Thanks,
Michel.

I do a snowboard trip almost every weekend NYC to Stratton mostly 85d, figure anywhere from 60 percent to 80 percent more usage with a ski/snowboard rack in an 85d going avg 70-75 mph single digit temps anything under 32degrees Fahrenheit . I've got a charger 10 min from Stratton mountain u are welcome to use it's on PlugShare no issues on recharging but in the single digit temps I don't have a problem charging I just see the amp drop to like 30amps on a 240v when the battery is ice cold.

Sorry for another post.... as long as ur battery is warm supercharging will not be an issue sometimes can be slow if the battery is cold soaked but if u have been driving for a while the battery is ready to take the charge at full 125+kWh...as for not charging over night the battery will just drain faster (maybe 10-20 miles over night) since it is try to keep the battery warm....

What are you going to be charging on at night? I'm surprised you're able to find hotels with charging at all those places.

I think you'll be fine, there are lots of superchargers around there, but you may have to go out of your way to get to one. For instance you may have to go over to seabrook while you're near Attrish. You may also end up having to spend a little extra time at the superchargers if you haven't been driving long enough to warm up the pack, but it shouldn't be to bad.