Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Is this Tyre Puncture Repairable?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Llama.

Lurking somewhere up North
Jan 25, 2021
Who knows?
Hello all

Came out of work to see low pressure warning on right rear tyre. Was reading 25 psi.

Found a nail in the tyre when I got home. See pic below.

Do you think this nail is far enough from the sidewall to be patched?

All four tyres have 14,000 miles on them.
Thanks

AAF39FE3-8C9E-400A-800E-C0B891AB84BA.jpeg

I wouldn't patch it. Instead, buy a plug kit and leave the tire on the wheel, the wheel on the car, and rotate the tire so you can see the nail. Pull the nail with pliers and insert plug into same hole using the plug insertion tool, then pump up. Trim excess plug material, leaving a short bit (1/4" to 1/8") sticking out of hole, fill the tire with air to about 50 lb and check for leaks, then drop pressure to normal specifications and drive on it. Many of us have used tire plugs for years. I owned a business with 25 trucks and vans which worked near new construction, and nails in tires were a very common occurrence. I still keep a plug kit in my car, though I haven't run over a nail in years.

Thanks guys. I think I’ll get it patched tomorrow if I can. I’m off camping this weekend and it’s raining!

Is there a recommended chain of tyre repair places? Is this the sort of thing you can just get sorted at Kwickfit?

Do I need to offer up my jack pucks?

Thanks

Reactions: SteelmanMFC