Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Is this Vampire drain during the night?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hey guys,

So the last few nights I'm noticing a lot of notification from the Tesla App on my iPhone

Basically looks like it charges up over and over again.

Model 3 is parked in the garage and plugged to a Tesla wall charger.

Past few days here in SoCal has been hot, could be AC cooling the batteries down or something.
My garage is not insolated nor would I even call it finished lol no sheetrock up.

Thanks

IMG_3206.png
IMG_3196.png

Some people have reported these frequent charging events (that result in no significant charge added). They can occur even when the charging threshold is set below the current SoC, apparently. I haven't seen it myself, though. Seems like it might be related to firmware. Or it may be exactly what you say - I have no idea - but the plots I've seen (power vs. time using meter tracking software) indicate that they are extremely short events, so seems unlikely to be because the car is using shore power instead of battery energy to take care of battery maintenance, etc.

Yhe did get the new update last week could very well be a firmware change.

I'm on 16.3.3

Yhea I find it hard to think it's the battery cooling at night as well. Just something that just started happening. So not to sure on what's doing it throughout the night.

My understanding from a reasonably close source that this is a "feature" to mask Vampire Drain.
I hate it and don't leave the car plugged in any more.
That sounds about right. I think you can make it stop doing that though if you go ahead and pick a time and use scheduled charging. That way it won't keep doing this all the time. It will wait for the next scheduled time. Does that still work to get around this weirdness?

Was on 2019.16.2 until last night and was seeing 1 mile per hour phantom drain during the previous 48 hours. 2019.20.1 installed last night and I got a couple “top off” charging messages like the OP this morning. Will see how the drain is today. No extra apps running and did the password change operation to be sure.

Was on 2019.16.2 until last night and was seeing 1 mile per hour phantom drain during the previous 48 hours. 2019.20.1 installed last night and I got a couple “top off” charging messages like the OP this morning. Will see how the drain is today. No extra apps running and did the password change operation to be sure.
Model 3. SR+. 70s overnight