TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC
Start a Discussionhttps://teslamotorsclub.com/tmc/tags/

Is this vampire drain normal?

Discussion in 'Model X: Battery & Charging' started by mk9027866, Jun 19, 2017.

1. mk9027866

mk9027866 Member

I left the car idle for over a week and I almost killed it. I have it logging on Teslafi and I also added a blackvue 2ch. Could those be the cause?

Some days were about 10-12 mile loss (24 hour period), some were as high as 21 miles. Outside temperature was steady around 70 degrees.

Just want to know if I should bring it in for service.

Thanks

Mike

2. MXFan

MXFan Member

Sounds about right if the two things you added are running regularly which is in addition to the normal vampire loss.

3. mk9027866

mk9027866 Member

What is the total estimated vampire drain on a blackvue if it's 500ma at 5v?

4. MXFan

MXFan Member

I don't know. But suggest you turn them both off for 24 hours and measure your vampire loss then.

5. Lloyd

Lloyd Well-Known Member

I have found recently that if you have the temperature control on (the one that keeps it under 104 degrees) that it will use quite a bit of energy on hot days and less on cool days. If you wake the car up to check on the battery, does it continue to temperature maintainer for another 12 hours?

6. brucet999

brucet999 Active Member

500ma x 5V = 2.5W x 24hr = 60Ah/day = 0.2 rated miles per day.

7. Phil Seastrand

I found the biggest issue with vampire drain to be related to any logging sites you might have setup. For example, I used to run teslalog.com with "Monitor Drive" and "Monitor State" set to On. Once I turned both off my vampire drain virtually went away. I suspect only one of the options was causing the problem, but I never went back to verify. These affect vampire drain because they keep polling the car to get the current state and the car is never allowed to go to sleep. Some sites try to work around this by using your phone to detect when the car is moving and only polling then, but I don't know how successful these approaches are to protecting against vampire drain.

8. MasterT

MasterT Member

It's not your dashcam - no way it can make any significant drain on the battery. If it wired correctly, it will sip energy from the 12 V battery, once that depletes, the main battery will charge the 12 v. It's not your dash-cam.

It could possibly be the logging site, but even that is waaaay too much for a logging site. Granted I don't have tremendous amount of experience with logging sites as I only used one for a few days and the amount of vampire drain (6-8 miles per day) made me stop. I think around 10 miles per day loss for constant pooling is somewhat reasonable. I dont think your 21 miles per day loss can be explain by logging site, but I might be wrong.

Check if your cabin heat protection and smart preconditioning are turn on. The first one should keep the cabin under 105 degrees and even though you've mentioned that temp stayed around 70, it still could've gotten hot enough for the feature to kick in. The later would cool the car to the set temp based on your driving pattern and the car supposedly learns that pattern over time.

Hope that helps

9. animorph

animorph Member

Full TeslaFi can drain about 10 miles/day. I use some of the TeslaFi sleep settings to keep that in check, maybe 2-3 miles/day. Without TeslaFi I was at 1-2 miles/day. Haven't seemed to miss anything important.

10. mk9027866

mk9027866 Member

Isn't it funny, I'm using Teslafi to track the drain and it's likely the culprit...

I'm not traveling long enough for about another month so I can't get a good test in, but it sounds like it's a combo of Teslafi polling the car and overheat protection.

11. OzSimon

OzSimon Member

My overnight drain (12hr) is 1 kilometre of range. I leave the fob in the car which has been discussed regularly but seems to have no effect except slows down the wake up process- sometimes 5 seconds.