Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Is this vampire drain normal?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I left the car idle for over a week and I almost killed it. I have it logging on Teslafi and I also added a blackvue 2ch. Could those be the cause?

Some days were about 10-12 mile loss (24 hour period), some were as high as 21 miles. Outside temperature was steady around 70 degrees.

Just want to know if I should bring it in for service.

Thanks

Mike

I left the car idle for over a week and I almost killed it. I have it logging on Teslafi and I also added a blackvue 2ch. Could those be the cause?

Some days were about 10-12 mile loss (24 hour period), some were as high as 21 miles. Outside temperature was steady around 70 degrees.

Just want to know if I should bring it in for service.

Thanks

Mike

Sounds about right if the two things you added are running regularly which is in addition to the normal vampire loss.

I have found recently that if you have the temperature control on (the one that keeps it under 104 degrees) that it will use quite a bit of energy on hot days and less on cool days. If you wake the car up to check on the battery, does it continue to temperature maintainer for another 12 hours?

I found the biggest issue with vampire drain to be related to any logging sites you might have setup. For example, I used to run teslalog.com with "Monitor Drive" and "Monitor State" set to On. Once I turned both off my vampire drain virtually went away. I suspect only one of the options was causing the problem, but I never went back to verify. These affect vampire drain because they keep polling the car to get the current state and the car is never allowed to go to sleep. Some sites try to work around this by using your phone to detect when the car is moving and only polling then, but I don't know how successful these approaches are to protecting against vampire drain.

• Informative
Reactions: Axtrader
It's not your dashcam - no way it can make any significant drain on the battery. If it wired correctly, it will sip energy from the 12 V battery, once that depletes, the main battery will charge the 12 v. It's not your dash-cam.

It could possibly be the logging site, but even that is waaaay too much for a logging site. Granted I don't have tremendous amount of experience with logging sites as I only used one for a few days and the amount of vampire drain (6-8 miles per day) made me stop. I think around 10 miles per day loss for constant pooling is somewhat reasonable. I dont think your 21 miles per day loss can be explain by logging site, but I might be wrong.

Check if your cabin heat protection and smart preconditioning are turn on. The first one should keep the cabin under 105 degrees and even though you've mentioned that temp stayed around 70, it still could've gotten hot enough for the feature to kick in. The later would cool the car to the set temp based on your driving pattern and the car supposedly learns that pattern over time.

Hope that helps

Full TeslaFi can drain about 10 miles/day. I use some of the TeslaFi sleep settings to keep that in check, maybe 2-3 miles/day. Without TeslaFi I was at 1-2 miles/day. Haven't seemed to miss anything important.

Isn't it funny, I'm using Teslafi to track the drain and it's likely the culprit...

I'm not traveling long enough for about another month so I can't get a good test in, but it sounds like it's a combo of Teslafi polling the car and overheat protection.

Vampire drain is mostly caused by the car not sleeping correctly. If the logging software or remote access app don't consider sleeping, the car won't sleep causing higher vampire drain.

TeslaFi is one of the best services which support sleep. To make TeslaFi sleep mode work, you need to turn on power saving and turn off always connected. Also you need to configure TeslaFi sleep mode.

Vampire drain is mostly caused by the car not sleeping correctly. If the logging software or remote access app don't consider sleeping, the car won't sleep causing higher vampire drain.

TeslaFi is one of the best services which support sleep. To make TeslaFi sleep mode work, you need to turn on power saving and turn off always connected. Also you need to configure TeslaFi sleep mode.

Interesting that people call this "Vampire drain" as if blood is being sucked out of the car :)
I'm not sure why people have trouble with this. My car is set to be always connected, power saving is NOT turned on, yet the car can be in the garage for a week and during that 7 days I lose about 3-4 miles (about 1/2 mile per day).

• Funny
Reactions: ABC2D
Old thread, but I wanted to share. We left the car for 5.4 days (129 hours) in a covered parking garage with temps between 80-90 deg F.

Total loss was three miles without ever checking on the car via app and no loggIng software. We do not have always connected checked, but do have cabin overheat protection on.

Attachments

• 40985C21-7119-4C42-BE6B-EFE31694250C.png
    40985C21-7119-4C42-BE6B-EFE31694250C.png
    1.1 MB · Views: 70
  • 8F241C0C-19DB-430C-A7DB-DF6D5D54F710.png
    8F241C0C-19DB-430C-A7DB-DF6D5D54F710.png
    1.1 MB · Views: 57
Last edited: