Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Is this video about Tesla accurate, or pure hype?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So I watched this
(Edit: discusses the ramping up of Tesla production while other car companies are slow to produce even current ICE cars, predicting a very rapid increase in Tesla market share in car industry)

Are the numbers he presented correct?

Lars said by 2025 Tesla could be making over 7,000,000 annually (more if he builds another factory, and there is no Li shortage)
And the numbers of cars made by other mfg, is that correct?
He listed European numbers, world wide is a lot more

The numbers seem correct, hard to find sources.

Thoughts?

Last edited:
My original thought is, there is zero chance I am clicking on a video that has a headline that looks like it was written by Taboola (the company that makes those ads that say "You wont believe what she was wearing!"

The thumbnail in your video says "Tesla made a move that will SHOCK the (not sure of word here because I am not clicking the video)", and "No one saw this coming!".

Just off the bat, those two EXTREMELY clickbait titles mean to me that there is absolutely nothing in there worth seeing at all.

My original thought is, there is zero chance I am clicking on a video that has a headline that looks like it was written by Taboola (the company that makes those ads that say "You wont believe what she was wearing!"

The thumbnail in your video says "Tesla made a move that will SHOCK the (not sure of word here because I am not clicking the video)", and "No one saw this coming!".

Just off the bat, those two EXTREMELY clickbait titles mean to me that there is absolutely nothing in there worth seeing at all.
Added a quick explanation for you and any one else cautions.

Added a quick explanation for you and any one else cautions.
That’s how utoobers get views nowadays. Post click bait title. Video has intro plus meandering about avoiding the subject matter for as long as you can to get a longer view time. If want actual numbers from a guy who is all in on Tesla watch solving the money problem channel. There’s numbers that tesla has published - as in raw data. The rest is speculation.

That’s how utoobers get views nowadays. Post click bait title. Video has intro plus meandering about avoiding the subject matter for as long as you can to get a longer view time. If want actual numbers from a guy who is all in on Tesla watch solving the money problem channel. There’s numbers that tesla has published - as in raw data. The rest is speculation.
Of course they do. NEWS FLASH: existed before the TV was invented.
And the way YT payout works, the longer the video the more moola. NEWS FLASH: Similar radio and TV, as more episodes / seasons.

"solving the money problem channel"
Where that?

Tesla said 200k in 2Q2021, before Berlin and Texas online.
Tesla says 500k for Berlin alone, with expansion possible to 2 million annual.

So far that videos predictions are not unreasonable.

Speculative, yes, exaggeration, no.

Of course they do. NEWS FLASH: existed before the TV was invented.
And the way YT payout works, the longer the video the more moola. NEWS FLASH: Similar radio and TV, as more episodes / seasons.

"solving the money problem channel"
Where that?

Tesla said 200k in 2Q2021, before Berlin and Texas online.
Tesla says 500k for Berlin alone, with expansion possible to 2 million annual.

So far that videos predictions are not unreasonable.

Speculative, yes, exaggeration, no.
It is on YouTube just search for those terms

• Helpful
Reactions: MontyFloyd

Lars said by 2025 Tesla could be making over 7,000,000 annually (more if he builds another factory, and there is no Li shortage)

Thoughts?
Elon is targeting 20 million cars by 2030... probably. Given that they had damn better hit 7 million by 2025, dontcha think?

We do see Tesla reaching 20M vehicles/year probably before 2030, but that requires consistently excellent execution.

• Informative
There was a step change at tesla after the S launch and before the 3.

They thought the industry would pivot and that tesla would be a small niche player, except that didnt happen, so they shifted to being a large volume manufacturer and have planned accordingly

You arrive at that number if you assume a 70% per year compound annual growth rate, which is Tesla’s historical growth rate.

2020: 500k
2021: 850K
2022: 1.4M
2023: 2.5m
2024: 4.2M
2025: 7.1M

2021 and 2022 are a given at this point. You can assume Tesla will hit those numbers. 2023 is also very possible with their new factories running near capacity. Next year Tesla will scout for new factory locations, start building them early 2023, finish them early 2024, won’t really be fully on line until 2025. So I think 2024, they won’t hit 4.2M, more like 3.5M at best, and then continue growing faster again after that. So maybe 6M for 2025. Cue the “It’s over” headlines for 2024 🙄

Note that these are insane growth rates for a car company. Also note that other car companies are going to get crushed. Also note that Tesla is more than a car company. It is also a world leader in battery cells, batteries, AI, self driving, Supercharging, solar roofs, stationary storage and who knows what else. Yes, Tesla is still a buy even at this stock price.

So I watched this

I don't think I've seen that specific video (like @jjrandorin, I avoid videos with such extreme clickbait titles), but I have seen similar analyses. The flaw is the ASSUMPTION that growth will continue at recent historical rates. That's unrealistic. If nothing else, such growth will eventually be limited by factors like the demand for cars in the world economy. I don't know about you, but I'll never buy as many Teslas as I do, say, bars of soap. Realistically, the limit will be reached well before then because of competition (from traditional automakers, new startups, and Chinese EV makers), consumer biases (many people are very attached to their favorite brands), regulatory issues (once a single manufacturer grabs too much of the market, the anti-trust regulators will take notice and act), etc. IMHO, Tesla is in a good position to become A major automaker in a decade or two, and maybe even the biggest automaker in some markets, but I'd be completely shocked if they really dominated the industry (as in, sold more than half the cars made worldwide or in big markets like the USA, Europe, or China).

You arrive at that number if you assume a 70% per year compound annual growth rate, which is Tesla’s historical growth rate.

2021 and 2022 are a given at this point. You can assume Tesla will hit those numbers. 2023 is also very possible with their new factories running near capacity. Next year Tesla will scout for new factory locations, start building them early 2023, finish them early 2024, won’t really be fully on line until 2025. So I think 2024, they won’t hit 4.2M, more like 3.5M at best, and then continue growing faster again after that. So maybe 6M for 2025. Cue the “It’s over” headlines for 2024 🙄

Note that these are insane growth rates for a car company. Also note that other car companies are going to get crushed. Also note that Tesla is more than a car company. It is also a world leader in battery cells, batteries, AI, self driving, Supercharging, solar roofs, stationary storage and who knows what else. Yes, Tesla is still a buy even at this stock price.
Both Berlin and Austin are sized for 2m+ (of not yet built out for), they won't need new sites until 6m +

Reactions: mspohr
Both Berlin and Austin are sized for 2m+ (of not yet built out for), they won't need new sites until 6m +
There were reports of Tesla considering new sites for factories in both Europe and US. This would be make sense for improving logistics and increasing the model range. I believe when Tesla hits about 4 million/year of Model 3/Y production, scaling up based solely on M3/MY which sell for over $50k on average will be increasingly difficult. So, Tesla will NEED new manufacturing capacities for cheaper mass market models if they plan to keep growing. My prediction - the construction of two new factories will begin in the middle of next year.

Reactions: pipestem

What are 2018 and 2019 numbers?

It is assumed there are no surprises, it is possible. Your 3.5 million is a reasonable low end prediction.

I don't think I've seen that specific video, I avoid videos with such extreme clickbait titles), but I have seen similar analyses. The flaw is the ASSUMPTION that growth will continue at recent historical rates. That's unrealistic. If nothing else, such growth will eventually be limited by factors like the demand for cars in the world economy. I don't know about you, but I'll never buy as many Teslas as I do, say, bars of soap. Realistically, the limit will be reached well before then because of competition (from traditional automakers, new startups, and Chinese EV makers), consumer biases (many people are very attached to their favorite brands), regulatory issues (once a single manufacturer grabs too much of the market, the anti-trust regulators will take notice and act), etc. IMHO, Tesla is in a good position to become A major automaker in a decade or two, and maybe even the biggest automaker in some markets, but I'd be completely shocked if they really dominated the industry (as in, sold more than half the cars made worldwide or in big markets like the USA, Europe, or China).
Click bait titles are a reality, even when the consent is solid. Just need a skeptical eye and bail when looks fishy.

Of course it is an assumption, based on past production experience. Just like hurricane prediction you have a range.
Demand for cars is not only strong, but growing.
Demand for BEV is very strong, and as more see BEV's, the more demand*
Charging networks are rapidly expanding
Governments are encouraging EV adoption, some places very strongly (and some horribly).
Then the constant stream of reviews saying Tesla is best BEV on road, with as yet nothing that can compete, and if did will need years to ramp up production.

The ONLY limitation I can consider is shortage of Lithium, and other limited supply materials needed for the batteries.
Lithium is the 25th more common element, but is not as concentrated as other minerals, more area and effort to collect, and needs to be separated from compounds. In short, invest in Li mines, they will grow massively.

* Tesla cars are supremely recognizable, and I am sure by now the majority know the logo. Other BEVs, like the Nissan Leaf has a body shape similar to the Versa, and the Mach-E is not that recognizable, and some BEV like Mini Cooper is the ICE version with BEV conversion (OTOH, BMW i3 is very recognizable).
As more see Tesla in neighborhood, others will want to be the Jones.

I despise click bait BS on youtube. The immature and meaningless crap is clogging up the platform.

Reactions: srs5694

The productivity gap is stark. When Giga Berlin begins producing vehicles, which is expected to happen by the end of this year, it will set new standards for vehicle production. According to BI, Tesla can build a Model 3 in ten hours, more than three times as quickly as VW builds an ID.3 at its Zwickau EV plant.

Last edited:
So I watched this
(Edit: discusses the ramping up of Tesla production while other car companies are slow to produce even current ICE cars, predicting a very rapid increase in Tesla market share in car industry)

Thoughts?
I've watched a bunch of his videos. He is an enthusiastic EV and Tesla supporter.
However, I haven't found any fault with his numbers or logic.
Worth watching.

Reactions: Cal1 and Darmie

I despise click bait BS on youtube. The immature and meaningless crap is clogging up the platform.

Look at what happened 2 weeks after the video was released.
VW first admitted they have production limit problem, then invited Elon to their company meeting a week later.
Hertz said they will buy 100k of Tesla, then Uber signed on as a partner.
And recently GM and Ford announced more accessible ramping of EV production.

At the time it did seem clickbait, but seeing what is happening the title is quite accurate.