Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Is this what Tesla's Roof will look like?

Is this what Teslas Roof will look like?

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I had seen this roof on electrek.co and wondered what the chances were that this is exactly what Elon was talking about.

Do you guys think this is the future Tesla Roof?

Forward Labs shows how a SolarCity/Tesla roof could look better than a traditional roof while generating electricity

RedHouse.jpg

Maybe, who knows. Not sure that a metal looking roof would qualify as more aesthetically pleasing than tile or shingles. But then again, it just has to look better than black solar panels...

For an industrial roof, maybe, but for one's home, the roof should be pleasing to look at. You don't want, for the next 30 years, to have to avert your eyes every time you turn into your driveway. Standing-seam metal roofs like Forward Labs' product would be acceptable for industrial and commercial roofs, and appropriate for some homes in snow country where snow slough-off is highly valued, but I think few homeowners would like that look. Try to imagine a Tudor style, ranch or Spanish stucco home with a metal roof.

I think the solar roof materials that I have seen, when compared with traditional slate, tile or shingles, are the esthetic equivalent of a Nissan Leaf compared to a Model S.

profiled-solar-tile-300.jpg

solar004.jpg

In the UK most of our roofs are either red clay tiles or black slate. The style above are pantiles as opposed to flat ones. Red Clay Pantiles are very common. So if you could get the colour of the solar tiles to be red, then it could work, especially on new builds with the cost of tiling a roof being +£4000, if the solar tiles make the roof then it would dramatically reduce the cost of installing solar.

4887747028_55da9b6fc0_z.jpg

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: GoTslaGo
Maybe, who knows. Not sure that a metal looking roof would qualify as more aesthetically pleasing than tile or shingles. But then again, it just has to look better than black solar panels...

I think that metal roof looks very aesthetically pleasing. And it can be done in various colors.

Those kind of roofs are expensive but durable.

The question for me would be the cost.

Reactions: callmesam
I think that metal roof looks very aesthetically pleasing. And it can be done in various colors.

Those kind of roofs are expensive but durable.

The question for me would be the cost.
They cost about double. However, you gain it back. They have about 30mm of air space, so it's as if your house is always in the shade. Also hail doesn't bother them. You do need to find someone who is qualified to install them. Most roofers are not.

• Informative
Reactions: GoTslaGo
The biggest esthetic issue is just that the current panels are bolted onto part of the roof and don't cover it. They often put solar shingles on just part of a roof too so they looked like a mismatched patch from some damage.

Anything that just covers the entire roof seamlessly would be a big improvement.