Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Is tire damage covers under warranty on initial tires?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
i had my X in about a week ago for a faulty door latch, and just had the remaining tread measured at 4/32 on the inside of the rear tires (@15,800 miles) - wear was even all around, just 1/32 less on the front. They inflated all to 45 psi. I have the original 20 in continentals. I figured I'm good for another 5 to 7K.

Then the next day I got a low-pressure warning, down to 36 psi. I added air. Then Friday again. Then this morning it was down to 36 again....so I pulled into a Big-O with a "free flat repair" sign. They checked and said its not repairable, as it's too close to the sidewall - but if I have a warranty, I should go to the dealer (their words). On an unrelated note, it was comical watching the tech try to open the door....evidently they'd had a few S's in, but no X's yet - he couldn't figure out why the handles wouldn't present!

Am I going to be stuck with buying new tires, or will I luck out and have it covered? Anyone have similar experience? If I am going to have to buy new tires anyway, I want to see the options out there other than just what I am offered through Tesla.

Any input?

Dan

i had my X in about a week ago for a faulty door latch, and just had the remaining tread measured at 4/32 on the inside of the rear tires (@15,800 miles) - wear was even all around, just 1/32 less on the front. They inflated all to 45 psi. I have the original 20 in continentals. I figured I'm good for another 5 to 7K.

Then the next day I got a low-pressure warning, down to 36 psi. I added air. Then Friday again. Then this morning it was down to 36 again....so I pulled into a Big-O with a "free flat repair" sign. They checked and said its not repairable, as it's too close to the sidewall - but if I have a warranty, I should go to the dealer (their words). On an unrelated note, it was comical watching the tech try to open the door....evidently they'd had a few S's in, but no X's yet - he couldn't figure out why the handles wouldn't present!

Am I going to be stuck with buying new tires, or will I luck out and have it covered? Anyone have similar experience? If I am going to have to buy new tires anyway, I want to see the options out there other than just what I am offered through Tesla.

Any input?

Dan
Tires are not covered under warranty in the case of a puncture - Tesla's warranty (just like all other warranties) covers defective design or workmanship, a puncture is a wear and tear issue that is your responsibility to fix.

The only time you would expect warranty repair to a tire is an issue with the compound, balance or construction of the tire.

As for recommendation on tires other than what Tesla recommends, try searching these forums as the discussion has been had before and relies somewhat on your own input as to what you want in a tire.

If you buy the replacement tires from Tire Rack (they have the 20" Conti-Silents) they include a road hazard warranty that would have covered the situation. I had 1 replaced from curb damage. Also, your wear sounds excessive. I have 15,500 miles on my Conti's and still have 7/32nds all the way around.

Tesla does not provide road hazard warranty on their tires. Last year on my S85D, I had a nail go through the tire 1 inch from the sidewall and it could not be repaired. I had to buy a new Michelin from Tesla for $350.

You can buy road hazard insurance from Discount Tire for all tires on your car for $173. Purchasing road hazard insurance is a lot cheaper than replacing one tire.

Thanks for the input, everyone. Kind of what I thought. I'll probably replace both rears to keep them consistent and keep the one at 4/32 that is still good as a spare. I've definitely read on here about all kinds of opinions on tires...so will go back and read some more and figure out what'll work best for me.

My priorities are best price, range, and how long they will last. Ride quality is less important, my previous vehicle is a truck so ride quality is vastly superior regardless.

thanks again - took a look at the other thread, some good ideas there. My tire pressure warning was on again, so I stopped by a little hole-in-the-wall place and got a used tire for $50 - that way I'm good for a few thousand miles and I can do the whole set at the same time. I talked to America's tire, they are about 1100 out the door for some Perelli's, with a road hazard warranty.

But while at the little hole-in-the-wall place, I had a good conversation - they are talking 450 to 550 out the door for a full set. What do I really need to look out for? The place has been there for years, they actually have some very high-end wheels and tires as well. I'm used to buying tires based on the size, warranty, and of course matching the specs of the vehicle (load bearing, speed rating, etc.) - but assuming those things are equal, what else should I be considering? I don't want to get tires that could mess up my car, but if I'm going to go through tires fast, anyway (which I came in expecting), then if I get a set for 1/2 the price that only lasts 3/4 as long, I still come out ahead, right?

What am I missing?