TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

is tire pressure indicator not accurate in cold weather or my tire shop install winter tires poorly?

Discussion in 'Model 3: Driving Dynamics' started by coolmanfever, Dec 31, 2019.

1. coolmanfever

coolmanfever Member

Hello all,

I took delivery of model 3 last week.

My local tire shop swap out the stock summer tire with Nokian HAKKAPELIITTA R3 winter tire today. R3 winter tires were placed on the stock aero rim. But after driving for 30 min, I notice the psi indicator on central console is very different compare to what local shop told me which is 45 psi (see photos).

is tire pressure indicator not very accurate in cold weather condition (at freezing and below freezing level)? or did my shop install the winter tires poorly?

Thank you so much

20191231_182603.jpg
    20191231_182709.jpg

• Funny x 1
  2. SSedan

SSedan Active Member

Seems like the one tire might have a leak, which could be poor install or a factory flaw in the tire, or dumb luck and running something over.

Possible they just didn't fill it right? Did it read higher at first?

3. jmaddr

jmaddr Member

A 45 to 42 difference is not major and could just be the difference in the two gauges.

The 42s are nothing to worry about but the 31 is REALLY bad. Go put a manual guage on the left rear quickly. Agree with the above, either the tire shop incorrectly inflated it, or it has an issue, or you are just the unluckiest person in the world to pick up a puncture in the first 30 minutes of driving a new tire.

4. coolmanfever

coolmanfever Member

I duuno if the reading was higher at first for rear left tires. The photo I took was the first time I use Tesla center control to display psi which is about 3 hours later after installation. I do not have a manual pressure reader. I guess I will have to go to shop after new yr for them to take a look.

5. SSedan

SSedan Active Member

Of it lost 14psi in a few hours it will be flat before the tire shop opens.
    I would check it before driving or you could knock it off the bead damaging the tire and rim.

6. coolmanfever

coolmanfever Member

I found a manual pressure gauge from my basement and tried reading each tire manually. All manual reading correspond to center console digital pressure reading. The rear left still read 31 psi.

7. M_D129

M_D129 Member

#7 M_D129, Dec 31, 2019
    Last edited: Dec 31, 2019
    MN Model 3 owner here. Early in the cold season, and after I got my winters put on and mine were a little haywire. I’ve found the sensors to be quite accurate.

I would drive it to the nearest station with air, and put in 45 and verify on all. From Cold. Don’t drive a long distance. You should see them hold steady. Obviously if PSI drops significantly, then bring to the shop. Keep in mind, average is 1psi per 10 degrees of cooling.

8. SD_Engnr

SD_Engnr Active Member

It's not uncommon to have a leak at one of the TPMS sensors, so that could be why you're down to 31.

9. brkaus

brkaus Well-Known Member

Or get a good bike pump - wouldn’t do it from flat, but adding a few psi isn’t too bad.

there are also lots of 12v compressors available. Although, from my experience, tend to wear out quickly.

10. Need

Need Active Member

I had a leak in one of the tires of my Model 3 for like 6 months. It was a slow leak and I was too lazy to take it to fix. So it would leak like 3 PSI per week. And I bought this to pump it back up every week:
    https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07JC8MB1T/

It works great and the digital gauge on it is accurate. I fixed the tire a few months ago and now I just use it to pump up the tires when it get colder and colder. I just keep it in the frunk.

• Informative x 1
  11. coolmanfever

coolmanfever Member

thanks guy. I use a manual gauge to check again this morning. Still at 30.7 psi. I do not mind pumping air in. But I think better to have shop look at in case there is a defect in the tire.

12. Need

Need Active Member

Probably leaking at the valve or something. Since they installed the tires, they should fix it for free... unless it is a nail. At my local tire shops, they fix nails for free too even if you don't buy the tire there. They gather goodwill for future business.

• Like x 1
  13. brkaus

brkaus Well-Known Member

Definitely should be checked.

14. ZappCatt

ZappCatt Member

legaldisclaimer.PNG
    LOL, that tire pump has a "unique" legal disclaimer!

15. Need

Need Active Member

LOL. Looks like they put the disclaimer on the wrong product. On their Snow Foam Cannon page, they are missing this disclaimer. But watering flowers and bathing dogs? Hmmmm....

• Funny x 1
  16. holmgang

holmgang Active Member

If it read 31 before, and 30.7 now, it could be anything from temperatire-based variance, or noise margin of the reading.

31 isn't the end of the world.

Go to a gas station. Pump all tires equally. (Ideally, double check with a quality gauge). Reset TPMS in the computer. Then check again in a day

17. coolmanfever

coolmanfever Member

Brought in my car to shop. It turns out whoever installed the tire did not pump up to 45 psi. They inspect the tire and there is no leak. Thank God

• Like x 1
  18. holmgang

holmgang Active Member

I'll take my payment in bitcoins, thanks

• Like x 1
  19. coolmanfever

coolmanfever Member

good one! Unfortunately, I don't have bitcoins. We can try
    X.com :)

20. Big Dog

Big Dog Active Member

what was teh temp in the shop vs outside air? As a general rule, the tire pressure will drop 1 lb for every 10 degrees (F). (sorry, you'll have to do the conversion to C). For example, if the shop was say 50F degrees and you drove outside into 20F degrees, you'd immediately experience a 3 lb pressure drop in tire air pressure.