TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Is TM Spy still the way to go for pulling data from Model S?

Discussion in 'Model S: User Interface' started by George S. Bower, Jul 13, 2018.

1. George S. Bower

I've been researching this and there was a bunch of posts here on TMC about TM Spy. TM Spy is like Leaf Spy. It is used to pull data from your Model S such as battery temps etc that are not normally displayed.

Most of the posts on TM Spy are a year or 2 or more years old. I notice that the app is still listed in play store for android but it still is a preliminary release so I'm wondering if TM Spy is still the way to go or if maybe another app is now better.

I have a 2012 Model S.

It looks like I need to make a custom adapter cable and buy a blue tooth dongle as explained here:
    Using TM-Spy to see Model S data..

Then download TM spy into my phone.

Questions:
    Is TM Spy the way to go?
    Is the custom cable and bluetooth dongle described in the link above what I should make for my 2012 Model S.??

Thx,
    George

2. Ande

Ande Member

"scan my tesla" is far more advanced, with more data, and better logging to files for later processing/analysis.

3. George S. Bower

Thx Ande,
    Thx, that's what I gather from some others as well
    Scottf200 has been using both. Looks like the same adapter cable and blue tooth dongle will communicate with either cell phone app.

4. snd92

snd92 Member

The recommended BT dongle for TM-Spy, LeLink, is not compatible with Scan my Tesla. For the last one OBDLink MX or LX are recommended. Cable adapter is the same for both.