Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

IS Towing with the CT going to be practical?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have a reservation for the CT (about 445,000 away, based on 112744100). I can wait till next year if I had to.
But, I made the "mistake" of test driving the Y. ...and I'm getting the itch.
I am hearing some worrisome (low mile) range estimates when it comes to towing (~6000lb camper) with the CT (or any EV, for that fact).
I don't think stopping every 150 miles to recharge will be pleasurable.
Would it be better to keep an F150 on the side (for towing) and go for the Y as a daily driver?
...or should I trust the practicality of towing with a CT?
Any thoughts?
I have watched alot of videos about electric vehicles and towing and I feel confident that the Cybertruck will work great at towing and the range will depend on alot of different factors like driving speed, aerodynamics of the trailer, the weight of the trailer (ETC.). I am planning on getting a bunkhouse travel trailer around 6,000lbs weight and I will test that to see what kind of range I can get. The RV industry is working on alot of all electric RV trailers with Lithium Ion battery packs so maybe that can help with the range. Will just have to see what is available once I get my Cybertruck.

Reactions: kayak1
I have watched alot of videos about electric vehicles and towing and I feel confident that the Cybertruck will work great at towing and the range will depend on alot of different factors like driving speed, aerodynamics of the trailer, the weight of the trailer (ETC.). I am planning on getting a bunkhouse travel trailer around 6,000lbs weight and I will test that to see what kind of range I can get. The RV industry is working on alot of all electric RV trailers with Lithium Ion battery packs so maybe that can help with the range. Will just have to see what is available once I get my Cybertruck.
Unless you are urinating in a Pepsi bottle you are going to stop every 150 miles anyway. With a proposed range of 610 you would have to be hauling an air stream silver bullet and you'd probably (dependent on circumstances) still get 300 miles range. Trust the towing CT.
Where you are on the list, you might want to get a Model Y to tide you over. I am 223,600 and 90,000 on the Tri-motor list and I don't expect to see my CT before the end of 2023.

Reactions: israndy

The Lithium battery upgrade for RV's is for the RV electrical system, and has been around a while now. It allows you to run low load systems when boondocking longer. The wheels in an RV are not driven, and these batteries are not sufficient to feed power back into the vehicle either.

If someone was thinking about towing an additional HV battery, weight and cost would quickly make this impractical.

The wheels in an RV are not driven, and these batteries are not sufficient to feed power back into the vehicle either.
Actually, they are talking about powering the wheels and putting in a big battery.

• Informative
Reactions: israndy
Actually, they are talking about powering the wheels and putting in a big battery.
Interesting, and I'm a fan of Airstream. I still think the odds of this seeing the marketplace is very low though. This would add a significant amount of weight to the trailer, further reducing the available payload of the truck. Then there's the added cost and complexity to the trailer, which already isn't cheap.

If it gave multiple duty though, it might be worth it:
1) Your home's powerwalls could be in the trailer. Peak shave and backup power every day, trailer on occasional vacations. And you can easily take the powerwalls with you when you move.
2) the powered wheels could enable you to drive the trailer at slow speeds to jockey it around (like when you have to disconnect for a Supercharger).
3) the large battery could enable A/C without a generator while dry camping for a few days

If it gave multiple duty though, it might be worth it:
1) Your home's powerwalls could be in the trailer. Peak shave and backup power every day, trailer on occasional vacations. And you can easily take the powerwalls with you when you move.
2) the powered wheels could enable you to drive the trailer at slow speeds to jockey it around (like when you have to disconnect for a Supercharger).
3) the large battery could enable A/C without a generator while dry camping for a few days

For a dual use of backup for the home and full off-shore power for the RV, I can see this as a use case regardless of the Cybertruck being in the equation. That assumes the cost and weight factors work out. Camping in my area, without AC is a challenge with the heat and humidity.

I still say the best option currently in the market for an RV is the Ford F-150 Hybrid with the generator option. It has enough towing and payload capacity (12,700/2,120) to get the job done. Plus, you can put the truck into the generator stand-alone mode, which will fully power your RV for a very long time.

Has Tesla released any data yet on the expected payload data specs for the Cybertruck? All I've seen is towing. Keep in mind most people will hit the payload limit long before the towing capacity when towing.

The downside of the hybrid with generator is that it still burns gas. It is, however, less likely to be troublesome like most generators that aren't regularly used.
I haven't seen much in the payload specs for CT. I'm guessing from the shape, that it will be huge but probably limited by the wheels. I haven't seen any talk about a dually version.

The downside of the hybrid with generator is that it still burns gas.
We tow an Airstream with our Ram and use a propane powered generator when we’re boondocking. Propane generators have slightly less power but the advantages far outweigh the power loss. We can let it sit for long periods of time with no maintenance (no gas conditioner necessary) and our trailer always has propane available so I don’t have a 2nd fuel source sloshing around in the back of the truck. It will be an easy transition to swap out the Ram for the CT and keep my current generator system.

Towing is such a varied subject. My neighbors tow all the time. They tow farm equipment. They tow boats. And the CT would do 100% of their towing needs. Towing an RV is different because it is done for such long distances. My neighbor has not towed his boat for more then 60 miles. Most of the tows are 30 miles. So the vast majority I know would be fine with cyber towing.

Reactions: Holladaym66
For a dual use of backup for the home and full off-shore power for the RV, I can see this as a use case regardless of the Cybertruck being in the equation. That assumes the cost and weight factors work out. Camping in my area, without AC is a challenge with the heat and humidity.

I still say the best option currently in the market for an RV is the Ford F-150 Hybrid with the generator option. It has enough towing and payload capacity (12,700/2,120) to get the job done. Plus, you can put the truck into the generator stand-alone mode, which will fully power your RV for a very long time.

Has Tesla released any data yet on the expected payload data specs for the Cybertruck? All I've seen is towing. Keep in mind most people will hit the payload limit long before the towing capacity when towing.
CURRENTLY there is no EV truck available to buy. The Ford truck is still vapor ware until a consumer actually takes delivery.

I just read the article you linked to, and I don't see it saying that.

There is this line, which is just from Samanthan Rutherford, the writer of that article at EVPulse. It is pure speculation:
"what if the trailer itself provides some level of electric drive assist, alleviating some or most of the power used to drag the extra heft?"

Then here's the line that is actually from Airstream:
"Airstream is in active discussions with major players in this space, discussions about everything from marketing engagements to more technical partnerships,” said McKay Featherstone, Airstream vice president of product development, regarding the topic of an future electrified Airstream camper. “This idea is moving beyond the concept phase, and the path to an EV trailer is becoming much more clear."

It mentions an electrified camper. That says nothing at all about motorized driven wheels in the trailer--and it shouldn't. From people who know about the physics of trailers and towing, they say this is insane and dangerous and something that should NEVER EVER be done. You don't want any "push" from behind from the object that is being towed.

Reactions: outdoors
I just read the article you linked to, and I don't see it saying that.

There is this line, which is just from Samanthan Rutherford, the writer of that article at EVPulse. It is pure speculation:
"what if the trailer itself provides some level of electric drive assist, alleviating some or most of the power used to drag the extra heft?"

Then here's the line that is actually from Airstream:
"Airstream is in active discussions with major players in this space, discussions about everything from marketing engagements to more technical partnerships,” said McKay Featherstone, Airstream vice president of product development, regarding the topic of an future electrified Airstream camper. “This idea is moving beyond the concept phase, and the path to an EV trailer is becoming much more clear."

It mentions an electrified camper. That says nothing at all about motorized driven wheels in the trailer--and it shouldn't. From people who know about the physics of trailers and towing, they say this is insane and dangerous and something that should NEVER EVER be done. You don't want any "push" from behind from the object that is being towed.
The devil, of course, lies in the details. A lot depends on the definition of "assist". I've seen other places talk about a motor on the wheels.
Clearly, a sophisticated control system would be required. I suppose that, if done right, it could actually make towing safer.

The devil, of course, lies in the details. A lot depends on the definition of "assist". I've seen other places talk about a motor on the wheels.
Clearly, a sophisticated control system would be required. I suppose that, if done right, it could actually make towing safer.
It's very unlikely to be safer than normal towing, as you're adding an additional risk factor. As noted you never want the trailer to be pushing you. This results in dangerous instability. However you do want to be able to slow (brake) the trailer manually when needed without impacting the pull vehicle's brakes. A brief squeeze on the brake controller will get rid of trailer sway before it gets out of control. A trailer with powered wheels would have to precisely match the pull vehicle's speed at all times and under all conditions.

If Airstream or someone else decides to offer this as an option, then I believe simply adding the battery is the better/simpler way to go between the two.

Reactions: bruce4000
In light of "self balancing" electric motor technology, seems it would not be difficult to build a trailer which would precisely match the intended speed. Effect is seemingly effortless movement without additional apparent pushing nor drag.

With or without powered wheels, the trailer should store/provide enough energy for its own movement thru the intended trip - matching the towing vehicle's nominal range.

In light of "self balancing" electric motor technology, seems it would not be difficult to build a trailer which would precisely match the intended speed. Effect is seemingly effortless movement without additional apparent pushing nor drag.

With or without powered wheels, the trailer should store/provide enough energy for its own movement thru the intended trip - matching the towing vehicle's nominal range.

It could work but would need to be a dual motor or torque vectoring trailer because any slight angle (turning) is going to apply a sideways turning force no matter how small. It would be a fairly complex setup with little benefit to range.

I am not sure I see the advantage of putting motors in the trailer rather than power to the TV. It would not need to be SC sized cables.

We own a 2017 Model X 90D, and have towed a fair amount, both around Tucson, and between the Phoenix Area and Tucson.

The range cut is considerable, ie about 50%.

Normally we could get from our house in Tucson, to Tempe, and then back to Casa Grande to supercharge without any major range anxiety. With towing even a decent sized enclosed trailer (5x8 LOOK), we have to stop in Casa Grande, charge to nearly full, go to Tempe, do what we need to do, come back to Casa Grande, and charge to at least 80% and then had back to Tucson. Alternatively, we can hit a metro supercharger in the Phoenix area, and still need to stop in Casa Grande in each direction, just for less time.

I have also towed a 4,500 pound boom lift from North Phoenix, and for that we did a straight shot from Tucson to pickup the boom lift in North Phoenix, then we supercharged in Scottsdale, then in Casa Grande, and finally got home.

Long distance towing with a Cyber Truck will probably be in the 50% range basis, and as mentioned before, the vast majority of supercharger locations will require you to unhitch before charging.

----

Personal option, owning two Tesla's (Model X 90D, Model 3 LR RWD), I would buy the Model Y now, and keep an older truck around for the times you need to tow the heavy trailer. I would not put the $ into a new truck for occasional use, and heck, you could even rent a truck when you need the heavy towing if you do not do it very often.

We do have a reservation in for a CyberTruck (dual motor), but we are also not in "need of a Tesla" right now, and have no problems waiting to see what it looks like.

-Harry

Attachments

• boom_tesla.jpeg
    boom_tesla.jpeg
    451.6 KB · Views: 192
Reactions: Rocky_H
I can’t speak for a EV towing heavy loads … for the practical experience some folks are posting on YouTube and here are very favorable…. Now … I do tow my 5th wheel trailer (42’ Forest River Sandpiper 13,600 lbs) with my 1 ton 3500 Ram 6.7 Cummins …. my tow range is 240 miles on a single tank… my Truck Stop refueling takes anywhere from 20 minutes to 35 minutes if I’m waiting in line for diesel ($80 later) I pull off… My opinion is if I actually look at REAL world information that’s available… My assessment is the that the CT will perform nicely and giving it real charge time is more on the person’s patience and planning ahead …. I am going to get a Slightly smaller Forest River but my CT will handle it just fine 👍👍

Reactions: doghousePVD
keep an older truck around for the times you need to tow the heavy trailer.
You are, of course, assuming that gasoline or diesel fuel remains as easy to obtain as it is today.
That's kind of like assuming there will be a stable with hay, a payphone, or VHS player around . . .

If I could get a self-propelled Airstream trailer that:
- could tow behind a CT or, better, a Model Y or X
- compensated for much of its added drag for over 200 miles of driving
- had a control system built in to handle the towing dynamics issues pointed out by @Rocky_H
- had supercharger charging capability (150 - 250 KW)
- included battery storage that I could couple into my home's power gateway (instead of a Powerwall) for daily and emergency use
- was self propelled (slowly, of course) so I could easily jockey it into my driveway without having to get the tow vehicle out of the way
A Model S Plaid couldn't get me to the store fast enough to buy it.