Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Is two months too long to wait for update?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I’m right there with you and I keep wondering if my MCU is failing and causing me to not get updates. I don’t think it really matters much until the FSD update goes widely available. If I am still not getting that update then I will panic. Strangely it makes me feel slightly better knowing others are also waiting for updates wondering if something is wrong, and Hoping that means there is nothing wrong.

Several comments here on TMC have hinted that Tesla has pointed out launching software fixes to cope with original eMMC and it has stated to be version greater than 2020.36.xx. I’m on version 36.11. and it’s first time that the voice command struggles to comply - i.e. one of the easter egg “ Santa Clause sledge” took ages to come up. Voice command performance has not been that sluggish before... So it must be something grater than current overall 36.11 version that we all can count on.

Be glad you haven't got the latest update. In a recent patch the reintroduced some of the bugs that they previously fixed to include one especially annoying bug that was around for 6-months+ before finally being fixed. It involves the Bluetooth connectivity where the music option you use streams music but if your phone is connected via Bluetooth (like most people do when they get in the car) whatever audio app you were using on your phone app thinks that the Tesla is streaming so it will stream silently in the background. You have no way of knowing unless you open said app and look at the time to see if it's counting down. This can be especially annoying if you 1) listen to podcasts as it will rip through several episodes w/o you knowing or knowing where you were previously and 2) soak up mobile data the entire time in the background w/o you even knowing it's happening. They finally fixed it at some point this summer but I've noticed that it started doing it again recently. I'm on 2020.36.11 FWIW. Also of note is that my car started downloading a new map update yesterday afternoon but I had to leave WiFi for an appointment. When I returned it said it started downloading again but must have paused because it should have downloaded just fine overnight. It says specifically it's a map update though so I'm not expecting any firmware update but correcting that obnoxious Bluetooth bug they reintroduced sooner than later would be nice.

ETA: Disregard the statement about the map update. I went out to double check and it was done so I guess it just installs map updates w/o asking first. It must have completed the install and just applied it at some point last night since I no longer have a progress bar and instead it just says it's up to date as of this morning.

Last edited:
My 2015 70D is also on 2020.36.3.1.
I have not heard of any new features that I am eager to get, so I am not in any rush for a new update that may break something that works today....or should I be pessimistic and say, that will most likely break something.