Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Is UHFS sound upgrade worth it?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I occasionally like to blast some music, but mostly listen to talk radio. How good are the stock speakers? I know this is very subjective, but looking for input from owners on regrets or opinions. Is it worth the money? I likely would never do an after-market upgrade, so not interested in that as a third option.

i think the balance of opinion is that the standard audio is barely average, and the UHFS is a considerable improvement, but is high cost considering it is still far from the best automotive audio available.

This issue more than any requires you go listen to each yourself if at all possible as only you can judge the value vs sq.

Reactions: Ulmo and Sawyer8888
It's really really subjective. For me, I got UHFS twice and would get it again on my next car. I found the stock audio to be really lackluster and barely competitive with a new Honda Accord. UHFS is much improved but it's nothing to write home about — it's somewhere between a German luxury car's basic and upgraded audio package.

But with that said, the most common thing you will hear is that an aftermarket sound system will give you the biggest improvement. But you really have to ask yourself if having a stereo shop doing that kind of work on your car is your cup of tea… It makes sense for some, for others they are not as comfortable about the warranty implications and no longer having Tesla as your one stop maintenance shop….

Reactions: Ulmo
The system is super clear. However, it's lacking in bass big time. I find that even with he low frequencies boosted really high with the EQ, you can't feel the bass unless you get the volume up to 3 or 4. Lower than that and it's a bit like an AM radio. I currently own a 2013 Ford Fusion and 2015 Honda Pilot and I can't say the Tesla system blows the doors of those. Maybe in clarity but there's bass response on those 2 cars that just isn't in the Tesla. I'm considering the NVX subwoofer but that's $1000 + installation. I haven't heard the standard audio system but if it has less bass than the premium, then get the premium or maybe get a new subwoofer regardless.

Wow, this is really disappointing. I didn't realize the stock and even premium system was so poor...
I would highly recommend going to a store and listening to the stock and UHFS systems. Sound quality is very subjective in terms of what bothers some.

I think UHFS is perfectly satisfactory. I just think there exists far better automotive sound systems such as the $5000+ B&O Advanced Sound package Audi and BMW offer or the Mark Levinson system on the Lexus LS600hL I tested.

If you can afford the option and care about music quality, particularly having any bass response at all, I would strongly recommend UHFS.

Wow, this is really disappointing. I didn't realize the stock and even premium system was so poor...

Lifelong music nut, guitar player and drummer here. . . Also a bit of an audiophile (Martin Logan, Focal, etc.)

I listened to stock (awful), and UHFS (beyond adequate) and am now a month into ownership of UHFS and think the UHFS sound is great and certainly sufficient for the use you are describing. There is a very significant difference between stock and UHFS.

Issue is, if you really apply yourself you will likely find better quality speakers and amp options from aftermarket sources- lots of people pay a ton more than the UHFS upgrade price to do it.

More pertinent question for you is, is UHFS adequate? Short answer is Yes. Follow up question is harder to answer. . .Is it a good value. Probably not, but for convenience of having the better system in the car when I picked it up I was willing to pay a few extra $. Based on what you're describing (90% talk radio), it should exceed expectations. Would get UHFS and never look back. I'm not.

Enjoy.

I boosted the 2 lowest frequencies to just about maximum. The remaining frequencies are at roughly +6. The 2 high frequencies can get piercing at higher settings.

These settings definitely helped. The clarity is always there. I haven't had this much clarity on any stock system in any car I've owned even when I've paid for the "premium" systems.

I think what's more disappointing is that the only way to get the highest quality audio source is to use a USB stick or pay for higher quality Slacker stream. It's such a shame that I can't play music directly from the port on my iPhone or iPod. Pretty much every car with a USB port allows this.

I haven't gone the USB stick route because I'm lazy. So I haven't heard a non-compressed source playing through the UHF system. Maybe it sounds way better.

I had a Reus system in my S85D and decided to order the UHFS in my S100D.
Reasons: the UHFS is certainly acceptable for its price compared to pricey options like a Reus system. Having it uninstalled and reinstalled was going to cost as much as as just ordering UHFS and because I am no where (other side of the country from Cliff & Reus) it would have been a juggling nightmare to coordinate. Having had both I am glad I chose UHFS instead of standard with the Reus upgrade. Probably one of the biggest things to me is with UHFS you can select "high bit rate" with Slacker and with a standard audio option the choice is NOT available. Seeing that 99% of my listening is through Slacker that made the whole decision a no-brainer

There is a lot of hyperbole related to people's opinion of the audio. If it is at all possible to bring your own sources and test, do it. Then you will know for you. I find the UHFS very well balanced. Most modern cars seem dead set on pummeling you with bass. The Tesla system is very balanced. Is that a good thing, a bad thing, or neutral? Only you can say for you.

Reactions: dangerbear and Ulmo
We passed on the upgraded audio system and I initially regretted it. The bass is noticeably lacking in the standard format. Bear in mind that I am not a huge fan of ridiculous bass, but I enjoy it from time to time when listening to the right music. It should be felt even at low volume.

Within the past month since taking delivery, I have driven three Model Ss (my '17, a '13 and a '14). The two loaners had the upgraded audio, however even with the equalizer settings at or near the max, the base was still insufficient unless turned up to a decent level.

After experiencing the so-called upgraded audio again (test drive previously), my regrets quickly turned to relief. I am happy that I did not blow a bunch of cash on a barely-adequate upgraded sound system. It is possible that the older-model loaners may not match the audio quality of today's new builds. In will take my my savings and invest in an aftermarket option eventually.

Venomboy said it best regarding the upgraded audio...

The system is super clear. However, it's lacking in bass big time. I find that even with he low frequencies boosted really high with the EQ, you can't feel the bass unless you get the volume up to 3 or 4. Lower than that and it's a bit like an AM radio. I currently own a 2013 Ford Fusion and 2015 Honda Pilot and I can't say the Tesla system blows the doors of those. Maybe in clarity but there's bass response on those 2 cars that just isn't in the Tesla. I'm considering the NVX subwoofer but that's $1000 + installation. I haven't heard the standard audio system but if it has less bass than the premium, then get the premium or maybe get a new subwoofer regardless.

Like others have said, the UHFS is noticeably better than the stock audio system. However, when I compared the two audio systems before purchasing using selected high quality audio tracks on a flash drive, I decided to go with the standard audio and then install the NVX Boost 10 inch subwoofer and amplifier. I think a reasonable price for UHFS would be about $1000, not $2500. After spending about $1700 for an installed NVX Boost subwoofer, I am satisfied with the overal sound quality of the standard audio system. If you like bass like I do, I believe that the NVX sub out performs the UHFS subwoofer, and I saved $800. If you aren't familiar wit the NVX sub woofer, just do a search and you will find plenty of posts about it.

Reactions: Sawyer8888
I think what's more disappointing is that the only way to get the highest quality audio source is to use a USB stick or pay for higher quality Slacker stream. It's such a shame that I can't play music directly from the port on my iPhone or iPod. Pretty much every car with a USB port allows this.

What, really? What kind of nonsense is that? These technological marvels can't play music through a cord from your phone? Only lower quality bluetooth?

Years ago I put a Pioneer aftermarket stereo in my 2003 Highlander. USB port on the front. Bought a USB kit for my Honda Odyssey. iPod integration. My current Fusion and Pilot have USB ports that connect to the stereo.

I travel a lot and I often rent a smaller car for driving around. Typically a Kia, Hyundai, or Nissan (can't beat those $30/day rentals!) and all of them have USB ports integrated with the stereo and none of these cars cost over $30k.

C'mon Telsa, hook us up with a usb hookup.