Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Is Unlimited Supercharging Speed Limited?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Based on the above i’m looking forward to receiving 2020.48.26 in my vehicles if supercharging speeds are speeding up. My current supercharger speeds are similar, actually a bit lower, the OP before the update.
Definitely let us know once you get it whether there is a change or not. I still don't know if it is a fluke or if it will be taken away after the next update again. Was extremely helpful on our recent 900 mile trip only having to charge 20-30 minutes at a time instead of 35-50. Overall reduced our total charging and travel time by about 40-45 minutes.

I just did this yesterday, although a bit lower. I arrived at the SC with 3% slowly started at 45kW and when I hit 17% I was at 132kW, and I maxed out at 148kW at 25% SOC. from there I tapered off. My battery was warm, I had driven for about an hour +/- to get to the SC. Exterior temp was 31F.

I have a 17' 90D MX. Not sure if it makes too much of a difference, but I was at a V3 SC. I have in the past gotten 157kW at peak charging, although it was warmer out when this happened.

Have you actually checked battery temp? Was the Supercharger stop planned in navigation for the whole hour? Just driving at this temperature at US (I assume) highway speeds does not heat the battery enough. Either the car does it (if the charging stop has been entered long enough) before arrival or it takes some time to build it up at the charger. The latter might have happened given the start at only 45kW. One can try to Jojo battery temp up by accelerating and decelerating aggressively a couple of times. Tesla Bjorn has shown that at the arctic nicely.

Have you actually checked battery temp? Was the Supercharger stop planned in navigation for the whole hour? Just driving at this temperature at US (I assume) highway speeds does not heat the battery enough. Either the car does it (if the charging stop has been entered long enough) before arrival or it takes some time to build it up at the charger. The latter might have happened given the start at only 45kW. One can try to Jojo battery temp up by accelerating and decelerating aggressively a couple of times. Tesla Bjorn has shown that at the arctic nicely.

I did put the charger into the navigation system around an hour or so prior to actually charging. On my way out, the nav system had me going to a closer Supercharger, but I stretched to get to a 250Kw one instead of the 150Kw. On my way back I selected the 250 one from the start.

I had been limited to no more than 108 kwh charging for some time, with a rate of around 60 kwh once over 50% and dropping fast. I have over 15,000 kwh of DC charging since most of my usage is traveling. On 12/26/2020 I updated to 2020.48.26 software and immediately noticed 155 kwh charging again as well as higher rates above 50% than I have seen in a while. I didn't know if this was a fluke or not, but I continued on my trip from MA to FL a few days later and noticed high speed charging along the way. Still receiving this today. Hopefully Telsa has revisited the charging rate limitations or the effects to the batteries and this stays the same. I don't know if I should reject future updates until I find out if others have had this experience, and to make sure future updates don't restrict it again.

Has anyone else with limited supercharging noticed this?
I reported a month ago that my car’s specs were very similar to yours but that I hadn’t experienced any throttling. THEN on my mid-December trip, every SC max was.... 107 kW. Once it briefly “spiked” to 109 kW. Very definitively capped. I was able to find in my Teslafi data one almost identical prior charging session for comparison (start and end SOC, outside temp, and even same previous driving as this is a trip I make often) and the total time of my charge was only 5 min shorter when I hit a peak of 138 kW. It doesn’t appear my taper was affected. So the 5 min longer/session is not a big deal to me, but it did make me feel that my car crossed the “old” line.

Your noting recent higher kW charging rate is very interesting. I have not SC’d since my mid-December trip. I will try to remember to report back in next time I SC.

Looking forward to trying the new update.

I've been capped to 108kW on my 100D since August 2019 (unhappily starting in the middle of a cross-country road trip!). Tesla have been wholly unhelpful and simply stated that they "were unable to verify any faults or concerns with your vehicle's systems at this time" when I asked them to look at the problem late last year.

• Informative
Reactions: Big Earl
I have 2017 MX 90D with 52k miles. I love the 2020.48.30. The supercharger speeds are very good now.
I see a peak rate of 132kw and tapering also not as bad as before.
Before this version of SW..I used to only see peak rate of ~90 to ~100kw and quickly tapering.
Is this some error on Tesla or a permanent change?

Looking forward to trying the new update.

I've been capped to 108kW on my 100D since August 2019 (unhappily starting in the middle of a cross-country road trip!). Tesla have been wholly unhelpful and simply stated that they "were unable to verify any faults or concerns with your vehicle's systems at this time" when I asked them to look at the problem late last year.

Old 100 packs used to receive the 108kw cap if you DC fast charged more than 15,000kwh. Not as bad as the other packs. Hopefully with new software that is removed.

I have 2017 MX 90D with 52k miles. I love the 2020.48.30. The supercharger speeds are very good now.
I see a peak rate of 132kw and tapering also not as bad as before.
Before this version of SW..I used to only see peak rate of ~90 to ~100kw and quickly tapering.
Is this some error on Tesla or a permanent change?

No one knows yet. Hopefully a permanent change that won't result in battery damage.

• Informative
Reactions: Les236 and 21five
Old 100 packs used to receive the 108kw cap if you DC fast charged more than 15,000kwh. Not as bad as the other packs. Hopefully with new software that is removed.

Thanks for the additional information; that aligns fairly closely with my experience. Looking forward to trying the new software (I think it's out to about 75% of the fleet now, according to Teslafi, but I'm lagging behind).

Thanks for the additional information; that aligns fairly closely with my experience. Looking forward to trying the new software (I think it's out to about 75% of the fleet now, according to Teslafi, but I'm lagging behind).

Ended up leapfrogging that update and got 2020.48.37 installed on Sunday. Tried Supercharging yesterday at a v3 station and was happy to get ~150kW peak when I started charging from ~20% SoC. I'm closer to 20,000kWh from DC fast charging now, and just over 60K miles. Glad to have this arbitrary cap removed.

Had a quick look at some charging curves, and although the curve goes down faster initially, it seems to stay a few kW above the earlier curve when tapering above 50% SoC. Happy to see >500mi/hr charging, even if only for a minute or two!

Highest I ever got (134kW) on my 2016 75D was in January, the day I traded it in. Used to be pretty much 97 tops until a few months prior to that.

Interestingly my Sig X has never really done a high+brief peak. Instead it ramps quickly up to about 110 and stays there a really long time before tapering, which I sort of prefer since it shortens overall charge time.

Anyway both of them do/did tons of supercharging. I don't seem to have experienced throttling.

Attachments

• 3CBE3AAA-7A26-4842-A3BD-4D14E9989940.jpeg
    3CBE3AAA-7A26-4842-A3BD-4D14E9989940.jpeg
    496.3 KB · Views: 78