Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Is Update “Available” Upon App Notification?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
When I receive a notification on the app that a new update is available, does that mean it has already been downloaded to the car, and just needs to be installed, or by activating on the app, I am effectively initiating the install?

In other words, my car is currently in an underground garage at work, with a poor LTE signal (and sometimes no signal). I just received an update notification on my phone. If the update has already been downloaded to my car, then I don’t see any problem with trying to initiate the update from my phone. However, if initiating the update on my phone means the car will first have to download the update, I may be better off just waiting until I get home after work with a strong signal.

Does that question make sense? Does the car need a good signal (LTE or otherwise) to install an update?

All other updates I have installed, I have done so from home with the car “above ground” and a good signal.

Thx