Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Is V7.0 Torque Sleep real?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I was suspicious when I placed the car into Neutral and just like before, the energy gauge dropped slightly about 2 seconds later. So I repeated a test I did with earlier versions.

In a level driveway, stopped in Drive, foot off the brake, creep off of course, switching between D and R yields the same result. A slight but undeniable push in each direction.

Then I thought you might have to have a foot on the brake for torque sleep. So I pressed the brake pedal just enough to turn on the brake lights using the "toy car" image. This time as I repeated the experiment I could hear the faint creaking of the brakes as I changed drive modes.

There may be some efficiency improvements in this version, but I definitely do not have 0 mph torque sleep in my 2013 V7 (2.7.56) MS. Does anybody care to repeat this test and post their AP or pre AP car's behavior?

I was suspicious when I placed the car into Neutral and just like before, the energy gauge dropped slightly about 2 seconds later. So I repeated a test I did with earlier versions.

In a level driveway, stopped in Drive, foot off the brake, creep off of course, switching between D and R yields the same result. A slight but undeniable push in each direction.

Then I thought you might have to have a foot on the brake for torque sleep. So I pressed the brake pedal just enough to turn on the brake lights using the "toy car" image. This time as I repeated the experiment I could hear the faint creaking of the brakes as I changed drive modes.

There may be some efficiency improvements in this version, but I definitely do not have 0 mph torque sleep in my 2013 V7 (2.7.56) MS. Does anybody care to repeat this test and post their AP or pre AP car's behavior?

Sorry, but I have no idea what you are talking about. Maybe I missed something? Torque sleep to me is something that happens at speed, allowing one of the dual motors to become inactive when not needed. I heard they had made some adjustments to perhaps allow that to happen in single-motor cars, but I didn't really pursue knowledge of that because I won't own a single-motor car.

This flipping drive stalk position when stopped as a measure of torque sleep is new to me. Can you summarize for those of us not following whatever thread discussed it?

So I would guess that if it does totally de-energize, one must to have creep off. I use creep and the only thing I have noticed is that it is smoother and gentler when I lift my foot off the brake or if I touch the go pedal with brake hold on. Not that it ever was not smooth... I haven't noticed any change in my energy usage.

If the foot is on the brake and the car isn't moving, the motor de-energizes. Pre-7.0, single motor cars would maintain a bit of forward torque in expectation of rolling forward after letting off the brake. Now, the torque is lessened to zero and only starts to come back when the brake pedal is almost fully released.

You aren't going to see any torque sleep benefits on a single motor car while it's moving.