Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Is Wifi/Cellular needed to install update (after download)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I just got my new Model 3 last week and a new update is available. I live in an apartment building with no WiFi in the garage (and cellular is really spotty). I realize I need to hop onto a WiFi connection somewhere (or use a hotspot outside) to download the update, but what I am struggling to find is whether the car needs network connectivity to actually install the update. Searched around on the forums for a while but couldn't really find anything other than what connectivity is needed to download the update. (maybe my search-foo is bad :) ). I am asking so that I know whether I should park somewhere outside to install the update, or if it will happily do so in the garage after the download.

I just got my new Model 3 last week and a new update is available. I live in an apartment building with no WiFi in the garage (and cellular is really spotty). I realize I need to hop onto a WiFi connection somewhere (or use a hotspot outside) to download the update, but what I am struggling to find is whether the car needs network connectivity to actually install the update. Searched around on the forums for a while but couldn't really find anything other than what connectivity is needed to download the update. (maybe my search-foo is bad :) ). I am asking so that I know whether I should park somewhere outside to install the update, or if it will happily do so in the garage after the download.
No. I’ve downloaded it over a hotspot and installed it without being connected to WiFi.

No. I’ve downloaded it over a hotspot and installed it without being connected to WiFi.
A hotspot with Wi-Fi enabled is Wi-Fi
The latest version (40.50.1) required me to update via Wi-Fi, which is the first update I've had which required me to do that.

It's one of the first one that shows the message, but it's not the first one to require Wi-Fi to download, there are hundreds of threads on Wi-Fi required to update.

Reactions: afadeev
A hotspot with Wi-Fi enabled is Wi-Fi

It's one of the first one that shows the message, but it's not the first one to require Wi-Fi to download, there are hundreds of threads on Wi-Fi required to update.
Yes, of course, just pointing it out, since not everyone seems to realize that. And people seem to think they need to remain connected to WiFi to install after downloading the update. Hence my comment that the OP can download over WiFi (or a hotspot/wifi) and install later when not connected. Not sure why everyone makes this so difficult.

Yes, of course, just pointing it out, since not everyone seems to realize that. And people seem to think they need to remain connected to WiFi to install after downloading the update. Hence my comment that the OP can download over WiFi (or a hotspot/wifi) and install later when not connected. Not sure why everyone makes this so difficult.

Edit: not meant toward the OP. Of course most people know a hotspot is WiFi. But maybe not everyone took it that way.

Download via WiFi, or install via WiFi once downloaded over WiFi?

Edit: should make you download via WiFI then install whenever you like. Mine did, as usual.

Sorry yeah that's what I meant, it required me to download it via WiFi then I was able to install it whenever. Still first time I had to do that, I've downloaded and installed via LTE before. But I don't do the download and install via LTE very often, usually do it thru my WiFi.

It’s sort of weird. For this latest update. I downloaded over WiFi. When it got to 100% in the app, I stayed on hotspot for 2-3 more minutes and then left the car. Car still keeps saying connect to WiFi to download. So I’m not sure if there was more to download or it won’t install without WiFi

It’s sort of weird. For this latest update. I downloaded over WiFi. When it got to 100% in the app, I stayed on hotspot for 2-3 more minutes and then left the car. Car still keeps saying connect to WiFi to download. So I’m not sure if there was more to download or it won’t install without WiFi
You have to wait for that to finish then. The icon at the top changes and it asks you when you want to schedule the install. When it does that I don’t think you need to be connected to wifi anymore.

Another related question...My apartment complex has wifi but too weak in the garage....will an extender work here? Thanks

It couldn't hurt. As long as you know the WiFi password and can locate it about halfway between the closest access point and your car, it should help. A possible problem would be how will you power it and another would be to make sure it's secure (i.e., not prone to theft). I use a Netgear Nighthawk X6S extender in my garage to reach my car in the driveway.

I suppose you could try talking to the apartment staff and ask them if they can extend the building's WiFi further into the garage but if only helps you, then you may be out of luck. If you can get them to think of it as a selling point for other (or new) tenants, that could sway them to spending some money on the problem.