Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Is Wifi/Cellular needed to install update (after download)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I got a message today to schedule software install. I waited until I got home to install. During the install, the Tesla was doing some serious "uploading", very little downloading. After the install finished (got a message on my phone), the uploading continued for 15 minutes. What is it uploading, driving data for FSD, vehicle diagnostics, etc.? I was monitoring this on my router.

Thanks.

I got a message today to schedule software install. I waited until I got home to install. During the install, the Tesla was doing some serious "uploading", very little downloading. After the install finished (got a message on my phone), the uploading continued for 15 minutes. What is it uploading, driving data for FSD, vehicle diagnostics, etc.? I was monitoring this on my router.

Thanks.
It's downloading all your personal information and embarrassing photos so Tesla can steal your identity and blackmail you.

Seriously: are you looking at the uploaded info in terms of TIME or DATA? Many home internet plans have much slower upload speeds than download (Speedtest by Ookla - The Global Broadband Speed Test is one place to check this) and this may be why you are seeing the "serious" uploading. I doubt you are uploading more data than you are downloading during an update (though I could be wrong - I often am).

It's downloading all your personal information and embarrassing photos so Tesla can steal your identity and blackmail you.

Seriously: are you looking at the uploaded info in terms of TIME or DATA? Many home internet plans have much slower upload speeds than download (Speedtest by Ookla - The Global Broadband Speed Test is one place to check this) and this may be why you are seeing the "serious" uploading. I doubt you are uploading more data than you are downloading during an update (though I could be wrong - I often am).
My router app shows download and upload data in quantity of data, not speed. I'm very familiar with Speedtest and with my upload and download speeds.

Total upload was over 21MB for that short period. Download was less than 1 MB. About 15 minutes after the update was complete, the Tesla started downloading and still is, to the tune of over 121 MB. Upload is much less now. I'm assuming I've got another update coming in, guess I'll know shortly. It might be a newer version of FSD.

My router app shows download and upload data in quantity of data, not speed. I'm very familiar with Speedtest and with my upload and download speeds.

Total upload was over 21MB for that short period. Download was less than 1 MB. About 15 minutes after the update was complete, the Tesla started downloading and still is, to the tune of over 121 MB. Upload is much less now. I'm assuming I've got another update coming in, guess I'll know shortly. It might be a newer version of FSD.
If you're on FSD Beta, it is probably sending a lot more data back to the mothership for the AI learning.

Thanks.
You are correct in what it is uploading. Even a few small videos can take time.