Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Is Windshield Harder to Make Streak-Free Than Others?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Believe that Tesla specifically mentions not to use RainX on their windshields.

From Adams website blog...

No sealants or glass prep has been done yet. Tesla says don't use rain-x on the windshield because of possible chatter (I wouldn't use Rain-X ever) but was looking to seal/protect the glass all around (including the windshield)

Believe that Tesla specifically mentions not to use RainX on their windshields.

From Adams website blog...

No sealants or glass prep has been done yet. Tesla says don't use rain-x on the windshield because of possible chatter (I wouldn't use Rain-X ever) but was looking to seal/protect the glass all around (including the windshield)
Whats wrong with RainX on a Tesla??

Been using it since I got the car, no streaks ever and rain just beads away.

Reactions: hcdavis3
Believe it may have something to do with either automatic windshield wiper camera or UV filters on the upper tint of the windshield.

There have been several changes to the RainX formula over the years. Maybe they just recommend putting no additional coatings over the windshield. Believe several customers have come into service centers complaining of windshield wipers chattering. May have been caused by RainX.

Several other manufactures warn against using it as well.

No chattering issue with RainX. I found that putting it on the windshield, but not over the sensor, means that the wipers will wipe a little more often relative to the amount of water on the windshield, because the sensor sees the full amount of water, while the rest of the windshield sees less, since most has beaded away. So, for people who find the wipers not wiping enough, I'd try RainX on the windshield but not over the sensor.