Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Is working towards a 360 view? Video

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Today I tapped on the model 3 on my model 3's display. It zoomed out into an overhead view. For a brief second it showed my nearby work that was sitting off at about a 10 o'clock angle from the car (the direction from the cab to over the driver's headlight). But it disappeared after a couple seconds. It looked like the overhead 360 view other cars have. I tried backing up with it going to see if obstacles would show up. I backed past my work truck and towards my garage but nothing showed up.

Here is a quick video of what I'm talking about.

Edit: The thread title should be "Is Tesla Working Towards a 360 View"

The 360° visualization is already there...it's not just a work in progress. You can drag your finger(s) to move the point of view (POV) to wherever you'd like and get the visualization from any angle you want.

But as @Big Earl said, it's just a computer visualization, not real video.

Personally this is one of the less useful enhancements with V10. Maybe it gives some people a warm fuzzy knowing that the car is detecting vehicles even outside of the normal visualization screen, but it seems unlikely to be useful for any actual information gathering. You probably should not be messing around with adjusting the display if for some reason it is critical for you to find out if there is a vehicle 200 feet behind you to your left.

Reactions: APotatoGod
The 360° visualization is already there...it's not just a work in progress. You can drag your finger(s) to move the point of view (POV) to wherever you'd like and get the visualization from any angle you want.

But as @Big Earl said, it's just a computer visualization, not real video.

Personally this is one of the less useful enhancements with V10. Maybe it gives some people a warm fuzzy knowing that the car is detecting vehicles even outside of the normal visualization screen, but it seems unlikely to be useful for any actual information gathering. You probably should not be messing around with adjusting the display if for some reason it is critical for you to find out if there is a vehicle 200 feet behind you to your left.

If that's considered being already there it doesn't work worth a crap. I backed my car past a parked truck, a raised flower bed and towards a closed garage and nothing showed up. Just the normal warning that I was getting close to the garage.

A working ovehead 360 view would be useful for the blind spots even if it is just a visualization that something is there when backing up.

Turning the visualization screen when driving on the road is pretty useless.

If that's considered being already there it doesn't work worth a crap. I backed my car past a parked truck, a raised flower bed and towards a closed garage and nothing showed up. Just the normal warning that I was getting close to the garage.

A working ovehead 360 view would be useful for the blind spots even if it is just a visualization that something is there when backing up.

Turning the visualization screen when driving on the road is pretty useless.

Yep. I don't see the point of it myself. In fact I did it to show a passenger, and she said watching it made her nauseous.

My wife's 2013 Nissan LEAF had an overhead real video display that was incredible. Made it so easy to park the car and see everything around the car. I suspect the Tesla's cameras are mainly facing outward, and not down, and in particular lack a downward facing camera on the front bumper like the LEAF has to get that front perspective. But even a 270 view (everything but the front) would be a useful view as it's mainly when backing when you would use it.

Hopefully a future update will have the 360° camera display? The cameras are there recording so why not display it? Esp. when backing in/out of tight parking spots

The cameras don’t look down far enough to provide a useful 360° view for navigating tight parking situations.

Plus my understanding is Nissan holds the patent for such a display, so they would be owed royalties if Tesla implemented such a system. Worth double-checking that... don’t take my word for it.

Plus my understanding is Nissan holds the patent for such a display, so they would be owed royalties if Tesla implemented such a system. Worth double-checking that... don’t take my word for it.

I would not be surprised at all if that were true. It would explain why this kind of system is not more widespread in the industry.

However, it's also common in industry to cross-license patents, so we can hope that eventually Nissan decides to get back to taking more of a front and center role in the EV segment and perhaps do some patent trading with Tesla.

There is no patent held on “360 video view” of cars.

of course, individual engineering designs for 360 viewing by each car manufacturer are likely to be patented. But 360 video can be engineered into cars many different ways.

For example, BMW also has 360 view and they have had it for at-least 7 years. My 2013 X3 has it and it was great.

My 2017 Infiniti QX60 also has 360 video, and its amazing.

Imo, 360 views should become standard in every car in 5 years - same as backup cameras are today.

I hope Tesla figures out a way to blend the sensor data with video data and come up with their own version of 360 views that would better than the 360 views that exist today.

I think this is something they've been working on for some time in relation to the self-driving tech. In the FSD demo day, you can see the screen displays a lot more information about the surroundings than is shown on the current software:

In particular, check out the renderings of curbs and such.

Of course, this is very different than the 360 degree camera view that's present in other cars. I wish Tesla could make that available, because it is super useful when parking, especially, to be able to see absolutely everything around your wheels.