Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Is Xpel inside overkill?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm bringing my 3 to get OptiCoat next week and I asked the detailer about doing Xpel for the center console since its a fingerprint and scratch magnet.

They quoted me $200 and said they use a four piece kit that takes care of the cupholders, storage, phone cover and screen. I tentatively agreed but don't know if its overkill. On one hand I could spend $60 on the RPM Tesla kit and $20-30 on a screen protector. On the other hand I have no artistic skill with things like this and would rather it be done correctly.

Anyone else do it? Is it worth it?

I have no artistic skill either, but watch some videos. It looks pretty easy. Even they screw it up multiple times and just lift it up and try again.

$200 sounds like robbery. Retail price for the wrap/screen protector should be < $75. I get that you're paying for the installer's skill, but I'd imagine a pro would have these on in < 30m.

I've applied a similar static film to my windows (that involved cutting & wet apply), and that was a lot easier than I expected. I have a similar kit (not Xpel), just won't have time the next few weeks to try the install myself to help build your confidence :)

Reactions: P85_DA
For me $200 would be overkill. I went ahead and took apart the console, traced out some matte black vinyl and applied it If I had to do it again I would just order a $30 precut vinyl and put it on.

Or just print out the FREE template and trace out the Xpel and apply it. You can get Xpel for cheap on ebay.

Below link has the template and is the source for the precut vinyl sold on Amazon.

Vendor - Open Source DIY Model 3 Console Wrap Template

• Informative
Reactions: P85_DA
Material wise, it'll cost 20 bucks from amazon and to cut it yourself. There are kits you can self install for less than 50 bucks.
It takes about 20 minutes (and if i'm slow) to install.
But people see Tesla owners as cash cows...

First off, it is definitely worth doing some way or another. Second, the price sounds just a bit high for materials and labor, but you're in Boston which is an expensive place to live. The installer needs to make a living so I would be inclined to pay it.

I'd definitely do it... that's not a bad price, and is the one thing I wish I would have done with my car. I've been very surprised how the soft plastics in the car trim can be dented and dinged by tumblers and phones in hard acceleration.
@johndorian disagrees because I made a really bad joke on another thread... don’t let that deter you from the xpel wrap

I had a guy come to my place in the Bay Area and do the Xpel console wrap wet installation for $150. And I didn't negotiate the price with him -- may have gotten it down if I had. So $200 is way too much, particularly if you are bringing the car in to them for a bigger job. The screen protector installation is real easy. I am not very handy but did the installation myself with some care and it turned out just fine.

For more perspective:

On Ebay
12inch x 36 inch Xpel Ultimate PPF more than enough to cover your console, will set you back a whooping $26.22 shipping included.

Ebay XPEL Ultimate Paint Protection Clear Bra - Protects Car Paint From Scratches USA | eBay

For $3 more you can get precut kit in matte black, carbon fiber or whatever new color scheme he has next

https://www.amazon.com/Kenriko-Tesla-Model-Matte-Console/dp/B07CZL8ZR5?tag=tmc064-20&tag=tmc064-20

As far as skill level, its like putting on a screen protector on your phone EXCEPT its a lot easier to peel it off and go at with multiple attempts to get it just right.

Last edited: