Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Is your gear selector stalk backlit?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I recently had my gear selector stalk replaced due to the silver ring rattling and noticed afterwards the gear labels are backlit. However, my loaner (car is back in service for other issues) does not. Both are relatively new (mine is a 12/17 75D, loaner is new 2018 75d with pup standard). Did I just not notice it before or did I get a different rev? Is it part of the premium interior?

I landed here because the silver trim ring on my gear selector just broke off. :( Mine is not backlit (2015 S 85 w/autopilot). Will need to get it replaced soon before the warranty runs out.

Here is the before pic... I'll try to post what I get after they replace it.
Xdn8HjyNT7OwHjVc%jFlvw.jpg

I landed here because the silver trim ring on my gear selector just broke off. :( Mine is not backlit (2015 S 85 w/autopilot). Will need to get it replaced soon before the warranty runs out.

View attachment 381193

Mine looks like this. For those wondering, Tesla uses the stalk from the Mercedes Benz parts bin for this.

Ok, I think I know what is going on.. I'm pretty sure all the Stalks are backlit. I did my AP column upgrade today and initially it was lighting like my old one so I was very excited. However my Cruise Control was not working, and found out my steeringwheel config was incorrect. Got that updated and Cruise was fixed. However I notice my stalk was no longer lit. I'm positive it was lit before because at first I was so excited. I even took a picture!

Reactions: appleguru

View attachment 381193

My current column is a 15+ since it is a heated wheel column, but it was new so not from a certain car. My car is a dec 13 which original column was lit. And the new one was also lit when I initially installed. However after updating to correct config the backlit went away. Trying to figure out how to get it back.

Do you happen to recall if your software got updated during replacement? Meaning your updates were behind if you don’t have your car on WiFi long enough to get update? Maybe a release broke the light.

Attachments

• A64C7AAC-7D8B-4670-82A8-BDE2F692B3E4.jpeg
    A64C7AAC-7D8B-4670-82A8-BDE2F692B3E4.jpeg
    287.7 KB · Views: 111
Last edited:
@TonyT You retrofit a heated wheel onto a '13? I'd love to see a DIY post with a BOM of that! There aren't enough retrofits of things like this and I'd love to add a heated wheel for next winter.
Not done yet. I’m missing the controller. And need to identify the pins in sccm I can use to feed the power where it should go. Hopefully I can get it soon.

A few lifelong dreams. Own a Tesla and have a heated steering wheel. So figured it would be best to combine them.

Last edited: