Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Is Your MCU1 Model X Still on 2019.40.2.1?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
That is my take as well. I'm trusting that they are working on a work around to provide as many features as possible to the MCU1 AP 2.0 buyers as possible. After all, selling FSD implies that those who purchased it will eventually be able to enjoy what they purchased. It is hard for us to argue that all the games and toys were promised, and frankly I can live without them. But the complete FSD was promised and many of us bought the product. I wonder if they now regret making all the promises. But they did promise and we relied on that promise in our purchasing decision--so they have to deliver--eventually. I wonder if we will eventually become a smaller and smaller number of unfulfilled owners. With all their expertise, I can't help but wonder if they are not trying to find an upgrade solution that will be less costly that a whole MCU/AP3.O swap out. Maybe a new combo board that combines the MCU and AP computers on to one board in some existing space. That would show commitment to early adopters who trusted TESLA to deliver on promises.

That is my take as well. I'm trusting that they are working on a work around to provide as many features as possible to the MCU1 AP 2.0 buyers as possible. After all, selling FSD implies that those who purchased it will eventually be able to enjoy what they purchased. It is hard for us to argue that all the games and toys were promised, and frankly I can live without them. But the complete FSD was promised and many of us bought the product. I wonder if they now regret making all the promises. But they did promise and we relied on that promise in our purchasing decision--so they have to deliver--eventually. I wonder if we will eventually become a smaller and smaller number of unfulfilled owners. With all their expertise, I can't help but wonder if they are not trying to find an upgrade solution that will be less costly that a whole MCU/AP3.O swap out. Maybe a new combo board that combines the MCU and AP computers on to one board in some existing space. That would show commitment to early adopters who trusted TESLA to deliver on promises.

I’m starting to get really upset about FSD. Come December my 2016 X will be out of warranty and 4 years old. How is it that there is no recourse for an option that we paid for and never delivered upon? I’ve been debating about trading up, but there is just something that rubs me the wrong way that I’m not getting something that I paid for and I can’t get a refund.

Reactions: DiamondHands
I’m starting to get really upset about FSD. Come December my 2016 X will be out of warranty and 4 years old. How is it that there is no recourse for an option that we paid for and never delivered upon? I’ve been debating about trading up, but there is just something that rubs me the wrong way that I’m not getting something that I paid for and I can’t get a refund.
Agreed. They need to at least provide a path forward for those of us who paid for FSD on AP 2.0 vehicles to at a minimum trade up to the newer vehicles with no additional charge for FSD on the new vehicles. I think the FSD software license should follow owners once they’ve purchased for the lifetime of their Tesla ownership as long as they have continuous Tesla ownership, though this is unlikely to happen. I think it is logical though to reward those of us who were early adopters / supporters of the technology to at least get the FSD at no additional charge on an upgrade to a 2020 or 2021 vehicle.

I recently had an appointment at my local SC and was told the following: My vehicle (2017 MS 100D, AP2.5, MCU1) was ordered/configured with Enhanced AutoPilot but not pre-ordered with FSD. As such, I'm in the queue behind VIN owners who ordered FSD as part of their base/build configuration. After those, upgrades will go in order of FSD order/payment date and when they have stock in inventory for replacement of the HW3 computer.

This does NOT include a MCU1 to MCU2 upgrade!

I've inquired multiple times how I can obtain the MCU2 upgrade and have been told that while there are reports of these upgrades being available at cost, nobody is aware of a kit, procedure, or cost associated with doing so. As I understand it, the involvement of MCU2 is well beyond a board swap - it requires a new display screen, the entire computer and associated wiring harness behind the screen, a new bluetooth radio with associated antennae, a new LTE/wireless configuration with associated antenna, and interfaces to the HW3 assembly. It's non-trivial, for sure. I'll keep asking 'til I get an answer on pricing and availability. Apparently, MCU2 is not necessarily a pre-requisite for HW3, nor necessary for Netflix viewing, etc... I cannot confirm nor dispel this notion but will be happy to report back if/when I find out.

• Informative
Reactions: Bigriver
As much as it pains to say it but my gut says Tesla is not going to upgrade AP2/MCU1 anytime soon to HW3. Those who are saying they are waiting to finish MY code first is just another excuse. First it was all about M3 so not enough boards to upgrade older vehicles then came the VIN by order BS then starting with east coast BS then Q1 and now it's MY! Honestly Tesla's history shows they have done such promises in past and when the crowd gets smaller and smaller everybody forgets those promises. I do not trust this company one bit and will not give anymore of my hard earned money to these crooks.

Was stuck on 2019.40.2.1 for six weeks. Just updated to 2020.4 this evening. Hurray! What's new:
Additional vehicle information.
Additional voice commands.
Text messaging support.
Camp mode while parked.
Voice keyboard.
Save dashcam clips by honking horn.
Driver profiles save add'l nav settings.
Teslas speak Danish now.
We can play backgammon.

• Informative
Reactions: KerryOH
Maybe this was why there has been a pause, from Twitter: green on Twitter
@greentheonly: New hardware incoming.
Integrated inductive phone charger (Qi) for S/X cars.
Two new S/X battery types in several configs (not yet sure of the capacity - TBD)
new lumbar (so new seats?)
New charge port type.
New suspension version.
I would speculate all these are imminent 1/
@greentheonly: due to FW timing. Tesla seemed to have realized no matter what they do stuff leaks through firmware so froze releases on week 40 and just backported absolute necessary stuff to limit leakage
And now past the new year this must be hw they put into cars now/vsoon so cannot avoid it