Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Is Your MCU1 Model X Still on 2019.40.2.1?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My end of 2017 model X has been stuck on 2019.40.2.1 for almost 3 weeks now. I had generally been on the cutting edge of getting new updates, as I was an early purchaser of FSD and have my software setting at Advanced. From Teslafi I’ve noticed for quite awhile that there have been 23% of the Teslafi S/X population still on this version. Is it us MCU 1 folks?

Trying to decide whether to reach out to Tesla to get an update pushed to the car before a long trip I have coming up.

My 2017 MCU1 is also on 40.2.1. My 2018 MCU2 got 40.50.7 on release date. The software screen clearly states that you cannot request version updates and it will be released to your configuration when it's ready. At any rate, you are not missing out on anything. I wouldn't worry about it. When true FSD comes out however, Elon better gets everyone swapped to AP3 computer first or else it's going to be hell.

My 2017 MCU1 is also on 40.2.1. My 2018 MCU2 got 40.50.7 on release date. The software screen clearly states that you cannot request version updates and it will be released to your configuration when it's ready. At any rate, you are not missing out on anything. I wouldn't worry about it. When true FSD comes out however, Elon better gets everyone swapped to AP3 computer first or else it's going to be hell.
My X autopilot has ping-ponged dreadfully while on 40.2.1, and all I know is that the X didn’t do this before, and my 3 is much better on 40.50.7.

When scheduling an appointment from the app, one of the options to tick is a software update. Those who have ended up woefully behind in updates have successfully used that method. My understanding is that you don’t actually have an appointment, but they contact you and push the update. I’m not interested in bothering Tesla on this if I can see from the Tesla community that there may be a reason our cars are held back at this version.

Yep, my March 2017 MCU1 X is also still on 40.2.1 - and ditto on the early FSD purchase and advanced updates, but no 40.50. I'm guessing that Tesla's got us on hold until they release the HW3 kit for MCU1/AP2 cars... And I probably wouldn't bother requesting an update from the Schedule Service menu item in the app, since it'll just get canceled... They said "several weeks" in the Inbox, so maybe late Jan or into Feb...

Reactions: DiamondHands
....get an update pushed to the car before a long trip I have coming up.

To get ready for a long trip, my philosophy is: "If it ain't broke, don't fix it."

If I am already familiar with the current version, I would not want to get a new version just for a long trip because there might be some new bugs that I'll have to troubleshoot during the trip.

Reactions: KerryOH
I am in the same boat, my 2017 Model X is stuck at 2019.40.2.1

I tried 3 times to schedule a service appointment using "Accessory Installation & Upgrades" and required a retrofit of hardware. But I received the same text message after a day or two from Tesla saying this:

The hardware is being sent to the Service Centers with name and VIN attached. Once they receive it, they will reach out to have you schedule for installation. At this time, we do not have an ETA, as they are being rolled out by configuration, Region, and Model. We are cancelling the date and time for this appointment, and placing this on hold until you have acknowledged receipt of this message. Thank you, Tesla Virtual Service

Same here... My 11/2016 Model X P100DL+ fully loaded with FSD is stuck on 2019.40.2.1 - scheduled an appointment to request HW3, was told same thing about VINs, but told to ask again beginning of February, which was nice. I'd just hope we'd get HW3 now. I have an issue with steering wheel memory not working... but my steering wheel has had issues many times: vehicle not going into park even when doors opened, engaging AP, function buttons, and the heater went out... they replaced everything, and now when I drive my steering wheel slowly goes to the highest position... then I move it back, hit save, and it slowly goes to the highest position. I'll put a service request in for that soon, but was hoping it'd be part of the HW3 upgrade. Patiently waiting, still love this vehicle more than any other in my life. Love, love, love. Love.

Reactions: scottf200
Our 2018 X has had 3 updates and is now on 40.50.7.

Our 2017 S is still stuck on 40.1.1.

Over the weekend, Musk indicated the "feature complete" FSD release should be out soon.

Even though we purchased FSD with both vehicles, since they don't have the HW3 processor (yet), not optimistic we'll see the new FSD software working on either vehicle, anytime soon - especially our 2017 with MCU1. Our 2018 X didn't get the FSD improvements in the holiday release.

Musk also promised last year FSD owners would get Early Access to new software releases, that doesn't seem to be happening either...