Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Is your regen always set to high?

Is your regen always set to high?

• Yes, 100% of the time

Votes: 109 87.9%
  • No, depends on circumstances

Votes: 8 6.5%
  • No, it’s always set to low

Votes: 7 5.6%

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I saw last spring claims of people driver several miles in 40F weather and still being stuck with low regen?

Based on my Model S experiences, I dont think it is supposed to work that way. The user manual instructs you to put regen on Low for snow/ice implying you need to manually do that, the car wont do it for you.

Reactions: ℬête Noire
when i drive its set to high/standard. I do however at times turn it off when i have passengers who get sick due to my lifting foot of the gas, slows down and accelerate again does not matter if i drive or autopilot. I love this feature quiet a lot, saves on brakes and extras some juice back.

I have no problem with it. By modulating the position of the accelerator I'm getting exactly the amount of regen I want. I wouldn't be decelerating any differently in an ICE car. My last car was a Porsche. I always braked using the engine by downshifting. Very close to our regen deceleration, but no brake lights until that final 5 MPH when I had to hit the regular brakes. Perfectly normal.

I've read threads here from people afraid that the brake lights come on too easily, perhaps spooking drivers behind them. And threads like this one from people afraid that the brake lights don't come on soon enough and someone will ram them from behind. But how is this different than normal engine braking in a manual shift car (pretty much as strong as our regen but no brakelights), or just a light touch of the brakes while approaching a slower car in an automatic (very little deceleration but brakelights are on)? Our brakelights are off for light deceleration and on for significant deceleration. Sounds like a perfect balance to me.

Based on my Model S experiences, I dont think it is supposed to work that way. The user manual instructs you to put regen on Low for snow/ice implying you need to manually do that, the car wont do it for you.
Yeah, it was just some weirdness that was reported around the Model 3. However it's not exactly what is expected and could just have been a biological sensor system error ;) or even had some software issues with the thermal controls at the time. *shrug* There is going to be enough Model 3s in the snow this year, including some in the bitter cold, that we'll get a much firmer lock on it.

When I start driving the car after it's been sitting outside at work and it is 30F or so, the regen has been limited to between 33% and 50%. It takes a bit for things to warm up and regen to start increasing.

What would you expect from non-EV cars? Isn't there a point where you aren't accelerating and you aren't braking, but still slowing?
Honestly, even if your brakes aren't working, the car behind you should be at a distance that they can still brake in time. If you think about it, TACC doesn't use brake lights to determine if the car in front of you is braking.

Fair enough. I just need to trust the car and my fellow drivers on the road (although the former I trust more than the latter :p)

I had the same worries when I first started driving the car, but I am mostly over it now. I think the low field of view out the back makes it feel like people are a lot closer than they are, so that really doesn't help the feeling of "I'm about to get rear-ended"

Reactions: halfricanguy
I don't like that the brake lights go on without my explicit input. Sure I can let off the throttle a little, but at what point exactly do the brake lights go on? No one can say for sure. Manual cars in low gear can slow at a similar rate yet their brake lights don't go on.

I'd prefer to have the brake pedal also activate more regen. That way I control when the brake lights go on. Most all other EVs do it this way, just not Tesla.

I don't like that the brake lights go on without my explicit input. Sure I can let off the throttle a little, but at what point exactly do the brake lights go on? No one can say for sure. Manual cars in low gear can slow at a similar rate yet their brake lights don't go on.

I'd prefer to have the brake pedal also activate more regen. That way I control when the brake lights go on. Most all other EVs do it this way, just not Tesla.
Brake lights will come on in a Tesla when one of two things is met, either you hit the brake pedal or the car is decelerating at 0.08 g this is for the safety of those around you. If you don't want the lights to come on, then let you foot off the accelerator more slowly.

When you're talking about blended brakes, if you've driven a car with those you'd understand the implementations suck. The transition between regen and physical brakes is not good an if you lose traction, you might run into the car in front of you.

Plus, if your purpose is to regen hard without brake lights then it's likely you're doing it to make someone behind you angry. You're just going to end up getting rear ended or have some other road rage incident.

Brake lights will come on in a Tesla when one of two things is met, either you hit the brake pedal or the car is decelerating at 0.08 g this is for the safety of those around you. If you don't want the lights to come on, then let you foot off the accelerator more slowly.

When you're talking about blended brakes, if you've driven a car with those you'd understand the implementations suck. The transition between regen and physical brakes is not good an if you lose traction, you might run into the car in front of you.

Plus, if your purpose is to regen hard without brake lights then it's likely you're doing it to make someone behind you angry. You're just going to end up getting rear ended or have some other road rage incident.
I thought it was a requirement for EVs to engage the brake lights when you hit a certain amount of deceleration while using regen.

I've driven a Spark EV and Fiat 500e for over 3 years. They both have blended brakes and I haven't had a problem with either.

I don't know where you got the idea that I want to make people angry. I just said I don't want the brake lights to go on when I lift off the accelerator. Again, the same thing happens with manual cars in lower gears and they're not trying to make people angry.

I've driven a Spark EV and Fiat 500e for over 3 years. They both have blended brakes and I haven't had a problem with either.

I don't know where you got the idea that I want to make people angry. I just said I don't want the brake lights to go on when I lift off the accelerator. Again, the same thing happens with manual cars in lower gears and they're not trying to make people angry.

I've driven blended regen braking systems for 10+ years. They suck if you want to control for efficiency, they're fine if you want a traditional car style 2 pedal driving.

Before owning my Tesla, I was a huge fan of GM's brake paddle system (regen on demand), but after driving P3D for about 1500 miles, I'd say Tesla's 1-pedal driving implementation is actually far more natural once you get use to it. It took me about 10-30 miles before it felt natural to me but probably 300-500 before I actually got good at it. My thing is to minimize regen when unnecessary, but maximize regen braking when I want it.

My only complaint with the Model 3 is that the Bolt can do a higher regen power than the Model 3 (0.26gs), which is a benefit of the paddle design because that would be equivalent of hitting the brakes hard. If you attempt to have a high regen setting on the Model 3 that has the same capability (supposedly track mode will introduce this), I'd imagine there be a lot more accidents with Model 3's getting rear ended. A manual braking method for 0.3g regen would be very nice for the Model 3 if it could ever be introduced.

Yeah, it was just some weirdness that was reported around the Model 3. However it's not exactly what is expected and could just have been a biological sensor system error ;) or even had some software issues with the thermal controls at the time. *shrug* There is going to be enough Model 3s in the snow this year, including some in the bitter cold, that we'll get a much firmer lock on it.
With so many new owners this summer/fall, I can't wait for the usual seasonal complaints about the cold-limited regen! (I'm already dealing with it here, but I live in the mountains and it has been well below freezing at night.)

At least in the S regen and power limitation are easy to see on the IC display. With the Model 3 I think a lot of drivers won't notice the dots on the power line and end up being quite surprised by the lack of regen. We shall see...

Reactions: ℬête Noire
With so many new owners this summer/fall, I can't wait for the usual seasonal complaints about the cold-limited regen! (I'm already dealing with it here, but I live in the mountains and it has been well below freezing at night.)

At least in the S regen and power limitation are easy to see on the IC display. With the Model 3 I think a lot of drivers won't notice the dots on the power line and end up being quite surprised by the lack of regen. We shall see...
Yeah, I'm not a fan of how subtle the notification for limited regen is. :/ Even knowing where it is I expect I won't ever notice unless I look for it, and thus probable already have a pretty good idea that it's happening. Just not the specifics of the extent.

when i drive its set to high/standard. I do however at times turn it off when i have passengers who get sick due to my lifting foot of the gas, slows down and accelerate again does not matter if i drive or autopilot. I love this feature quiet a lot, saves on brakes and extras some juice back.

You're lifting too aggressively if your passengers feel sick. You're not saving fuel by lifting aggressively (less regen for longer period). You can do it very smoothly. Believe me, one of my 4 legged passengers would puke if it's at all jerky.