Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Is your US made SR+ LFP charging to 253 or 262?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
It might be all good but legally, can Tesla sell a car that claims 262 on the sticker but clearly it shows 253? I am wondering because there was a huge topic about this a month ago in another forum.

Ps update as well and still shows 253 but happy I got the other features.
I have the same thought. Tesla sold the car with incorrect Monroney sticker. It said 262 miles range but scanning the QR code goes to 2019 SR+ page which is rated 240 miles.

As long as the vehicle performs according to the EPA test result and gets about 262 miles on the exactly EPA test cycle when new, it’s allowed.
There is no indication of the EPA test result for 2021 LFP Model 3. It is not on EPA website and the Monroney sticker that came with it can't be trusted either.

For me, I don't care if it displays as 253 or 262 as I am getting more than 253 now anyway. The important thing is the available energy (normal buffer).

It is just icing on the cake to know the actual tested range and efficiency as 141 MPGe combined is shown on the Monroney sticker.

There is no indication of the EPA test result for 2021 LFP Model 3. It is not on EPA website and the Monroney sticker that came with it can't be trusted either.

For me, I don't care if it displays as 253 or 262 as I am getting more than 253 now anyway. The important thing is the available energy (normal buffer).

It is just icing on the cake to know the actual tested range and efficiency as 141 MPGe combined is shown on the Monroney sticker.
This is a good point. However, it can take a few months for the test results to be approved and posted on the EPA website. So my guess is that when the documents are published at the EPA website (Basic Search | Document Index System | US EPA) they will show a test date at Tesla's labs prior to the date of first sale, and the results will match the Monroney you received, showing 262 miles.

But we'll see - this is a somewhat odd situation, but in fact the same thing happened for Model S Plaid more recently. It wasn't that the EPA test hadn't been done - the data simply hadn't been released.

I'd look for something to show up within the next couple months (and you might see the software update around the same time, though obviously what the car displays (as long as it is the "maximum" value) doesn't matter at all in this specific case).

Now the base Model 3 is listed at 272 miles (EPA). I'm still confused about the pack size in my SR+ LFP, which had a Monroney sticker with 262 miles but still charges to 253 miles at 100%. Do we think there's any chance our LFP cars get the bump to 262 miles eventually, or should we stop hoping that happens?

Now the base Model 3 is listed at 272 miles (EPA). I'm still confused about the pack size in my SR+ LFP, which had a Monroney sticker with 262 miles but still charges to 253 miles at 100%. Do we think there's any chance our LFP cars get the bump to 262 miles eventually, or should we stop hoping that happens?
As @AlanSubie4Life has said, we technically are getting it even though it is not showing it. We probably will see an update on those numbers but I would have to agree, I have done trips from Orlando and Jacksonville from Tampa and I feel I am getting more miles than what is listed.

Reactions: AlanSubie4Life
Quick question. Anyone in this forum with the 21 LFP SR+ got the new firmware update? I was wondering if the charge rate changed from 253 to the sticker range of 262 miles. Thanks!
I moved from 2021.11.103 to 2021.36.5.5 over the weekend. At 100% I show 253. However, I do not know with 100% certainty that I have the LFP. Yes, I opted for a car from inventory. Ordered on 8/30 and picked up on 9/18. At pickup they said I have NCA, at the SC they looked up the VIN and said I have LFP but wouldn’t give me a print out where it said that. The window sticker does not specify LFP or NCA.
Anyone know how to know what type battery I have for sure?
I charge to 80% most of the time. So far only charged to 100% once.

Start with post 17,845 or so.

Reactions: GeoG
Start with post 17,845 or so.
Greatly appreciate it. I will check it out.

I moved from 2021.11.103 to 2021.36.5.5 over the weekend. At 100% I show 253. However, I do not know with 100% certainty that I have the LFP. Yes, I opted for a car from inventory. Ordered on 8/30 and picked up on 9/18. At pickup they said I have NCA, at the SC they looked up the VIN and said I have LFP but wouldn’t give me a print out where it said that. The window sticker does not specify LFP or NCA.
I charge to 80% most of the time. So far only charged to 100% once.
My SA told me via the VIN number, it should be recorded on their end. I simply asked, "Can you tell me what battery pack I have with my VIN." I never say I think I have such and such. I was told by three different people (one of them my SA) that I have the LFP pack and charge that sucker to 100% all the time.

Now the base Model 3 is listed at 272 miles (EPA)

Definitely seems to be a different pack than the 262-mile capable one you guys got. Though the new vehicle seems to have taken a hit on 0-60 time?

we technically are getting it even though it is not showing it.
Yup. Now, you’re not going to get the energy that is required to get 272 miles, but that’s ok. Things (nearly) always get better.

My SA told me via the VIN number, it should be recorded on their end. I simply asked, "Can you tell me what battery pack I have with my VIN." I never say I think I have such and such. I was told by three different people (one of them my SA) that I have the LFP pack and charge that sucker to 100% all the time.
Thanks. I get conflicting info.
Here is what I got when I had a chat with them... see attached pic.

Attachments

• LFP vs NCA.JPG
    LFP vs NCA.JPG
    37.8 KB · Views: 119
  • Funny
Thanks. I get conflicting info.
Here is what I got when I had a chat with them... see attached pic.
That’s probably right. The LFPs need to be charged to 100% as I understand it for good SOC Estimation. However this does not mean that higher % on an LFP will not lead to accelerated calendar aging. It may well be less of an issue than for NCA chemistry, but it still may not be optimal for longevity.

These batteries are going to lose capacity, and probably faster the higher % they are charged to (though it is definitely unknown how much, and it may be less than the NCAs).

There is some discussion in this post - he also posted some data from lab tests of LFPs a few pages earlier:

MASTER THREAD: Range Loss Over Time, What Can Be Expected, Efficiency, How to Maintain Battery Health

• Informative
Reactions: GeoG
That’s probably right. The LFPs need to be charged to 100% as I understand it for good SOC Estimation. However this does not mean that higher % on an LFP will not lead to accelerated calendar aging. It may well be less of an issue than for NCA chemistry, but it still may not be optimal for longevity.

These batteries are going to lose capacity, and probably faster the higher % they are charged to (though it is definitely unknown how much, and it may be less than the NCAs).

There is some discussion in this post - he also posted some data from lab tests of LFPs a few pages earlier:

MASTER THREAD: Range Loss Over Time, What Can Be Expected, Efficiency, How to Maintain Battery Health
Greatly appreciate the input. My wife drives the M3. She puts a max of 100-120 miles a week. So I have set it to 80% charge and plan on charging to 100% probably once a month or so.
I will review the link you sent for additional info and tips.

It was my understanding that if you have an LFP battery, you should be charging it to 100% daily, no??
I honestly don't know what the norm is or what Tesla recommends because I get conflicting info from them. I suggest you do your own research and use your judgement. I am charging to 80% once per week and 100% once a month.
@AlanSubie4Life had provided a link for some recommended battery charging options.

It was my understanding that if you have an LFP battery, you should be charging it to 100% daily, no??
I charge to 100% and will note if I see any chance but even Elon in a Twitter post said how LFP batteries, the science behind it, prefers to be charged fully. That’s why he preferred it over NCA but they both have their pros and cons. I’m not a battery expert but I’m not worried. People with older teslas have charged to 100% and supercharge daily and have not noticed huge impacts but results vary by location.

jesabae37f3_lr.jpg

Per this paper, if you look at graph d, there isn't much difference between 20, 60 and 100% depth cycles. You still have 90% initial capacity after 3,000 cycles.

253 miles x 3,000 cycles = 759,000 miles on odometer. 786,000 if we use 262 miles per charge. This battery will go past a million miles.

My normal use is 100% -> 30-40% before I recharge so my cycle depth is actually 60-70%.

The beauty of LFP is the usefulness of the top end of state of charge (SOC), durability when dipping into lower SOC and reliability of power until 5% SOC -- when voltage starts to tank.

jesabae37f3_lr.jpg

Per this paper, if you look at graph d, there isn't much difference between 20, 60 and 100% depth cycles. You still have 90% initial capacity after 3,000 cycles.

253 miles x 3,000 cycles = 759,000 miles on odometer. 786,000 if we use 262 miles per charge. This battery will go past a million miles.

My normal use is 100% -> 30-40% before I recharge so my cycle depth is actually 60-70%.

The beauty of LFP is the usefulness of the top end of state of charge (SOC), durability when dipping into lower SOC and reliability of power until 5% SOC -- when voltage starts to tank.
Wow! Great link, thanks!

jesabae37f3_lr.jpg

Very interesting graphs.