Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Isle of Wight advice

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hope everyone's doing well!

Later in the year, covid permitting we have a postponed trip to Isle of Wight, booked before my M3 was on the scene. As such were staying on the western edge of the island and our accommodation doesn't have charging and the car can't get close enough to the accommodation to plug in.

The extent of my travels thus far has been about 60 mile round trip (nowhere to go in covid times!) and lots of local runs.

No superchargers on the island, just a few random slow ones from the look of zapmap etc

My plan was to supercharge at Portsmouth for the crossing and hope that lasts.

Just wondering if anyone who's experienced it had any top tips etc.

Apologies for the trivial nature of my worries, just want it to not turn into a 'told you so' affair!!

The IoW is tiny, so if you’ve charged before sailing across, you really shouldn’t need to charge whilst on the island, unless you’re planning on driving laps around the island. However, there are a couple of rapids listed on ZapMap, a GeniePoint in Cowes and a BP Pulse in Ryde. There’s also a whole bunch of fast chargers in car parks dotted around. I really wouldn’t stress over it!

Reactions: billuk
Hope everyone's doing well!

Later in the year, covid permitting we have a postponed trip to Isle of Wight, booked before my M3 was on the scene. As such were staying on the western edge of the island and our accommodation doesn't have charging and the car can't get close enough to the accommodation to plug in.

The extent of my travels thus far has been about 60 mile round trip (nowhere to go in covid times!) and lots of local runs.

No superchargers on the island, just a few random slow ones from the look of zapmap etc

My plan was to supercharge at Portsmouth for the crossing and hope that lasts.

Just wondering if anyone who's experienced it had any top tips etc.

Apologies for the trivial nature of my worries, just want it to not turn into a 'told you so' affair!!
I picked up a 25m 13A weatherproof extension lead from tough leads back when I got my first model 3. 13A weatherproof extension lead (compatible with all EVs)

I used it on holiday in France (with appropriate heavy duty adaptor) as well as here in the UK and it works a treat. Would 25m be long enough to get from a plug to your car?

Thanks for your replies.

I picked up a 25m 13A weatherproof extension lead from tough leads back when I got my first model 3. 13A weatherproof extension lead (compatible with all EVs)

I used it on holiday in France (with appropriate heavy duty adaptor) as well as here in the UK and it works a treat. Would 25m be long enough to get from a plug to your car?
No sadly not, its some cottages with shared amenities and the parking is away from them a little way.

I would be interested to hear how the car copes with getting on and off the Cowes chain link ferry
Oh that sounds ominous, anything in particular you had in mind?

Reactions: drewpost
It struggles at various states of tide

1615989436159.png

Last edited:
The IoW is tiny, so if you’ve charged before sailing across, you really shouldn’t need to charge whilst on the island, unless you’re planning on driving laps around the island. However, there are a couple of rapids listed on ZapMap, a GeniePoint in Cowes and a BP Pulse in Ryde. There’s also a whole bunch of fast chargers in car parks dotted around. I really wouldn’t stress over it!

Thank you that's reassuring. I'm sure I'm overthinking it!

It struggles at various states of tide

View attachment 645225
Ah ok, probably give that a miss then, as were arriving via Fishbourne. Good to know though thanks.

I just had a look and and was impressed with the number of options ... no need for a Supercharger on the Isle of Wight ... slower charging will be absolutely fine. Presumably you're going when things are open so some of the destination chargers may well also be available to you.

7 of us went there in our Peugeot 807 about 6 years ago. It’s a truly nostalgic place. Was served diesel from a genuine 1950’s Shell pump with the illuminated shell on top. Thoroughly enjoyed it. Must go back
might be as well to have an old 15 amp round pin adaptor for your granny charger. Just in case 😉

• Funny
Last time I went to the isle of white it seemed stuck in an ancient timewarp. As long as you take plenty of hay your carriage should be fine.

In all seriousness though the island is small and warm in the summer so range shouldn't be an issue and a slow charge top up somewhere should be all you'll need.

I live on the Isle of Wight and have a Gen 2 Nissan Leaf and M3LR. There is a rapid charger at the Wightlink fishbourne ferry terminal when you get off the boat (there is also one on the Portsmouth side of the terminal). The only other rapid charger I know of is in a car park in Newport (in the centre of the Island). Where abut in West Wight are you staying, as there are some Tesla destination chargers over that way? The island is only 26 miles to drive across point to point and a 70 miles coastal trip, you should not have to worry at all with charging. If you have any questions, give us a shout.

Zap map shows a handful of hotels / restaurants with Tesla destination chargers. A lunch or a dinner for a couple of hours will provide a useful top up. There are a couple of supermarkets, also with fast charging. Alternatively take your UMC with a 3 pin extension reel capable of 13 amps. Just make sure the reel is fully unwound if you’re doing this.

Thanks all, think maybe I've blown it out of proportion, thinking IoW is bigger than it is!

I live on the Isle of Wight and have a Gen 2 Nissan Leaf and M3LR. There is a rapid charger at the Wightlink fishbourne ferry terminal when you get off the boat (there is also one on the Portsmouth side of the terminal). The only other rapid charger I know of is in a car park in Newport (in the centre of the Island). Where abut in West Wight are you staying, as there are some Tesla destination chargers over that way? The island is only 26 miles to drive across point to point and a 70 miles coastal trip, you should not have to worry at all with charging. If you have any questions, give us a shout.
Thanks Sabs, we're staying in Norton, there's a destination charger at Tapnell Farm that could be useful, and the Newport one thanks.