Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

ISO 2016 Model S

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I’m not adverse to making a day out of getting a car.
Mount Kisco is a 5-hour drive home for me.
One thing that is a little concerning is the nearest Tesla service center to me has absolutely horrid reviews on Yelp.
I place a lot of value in how a dealership treats its clientele after purchase and if these reviews are any indication of what I’m to expect in the event that my car needs service, that’s a total deal breaker for me.

Service Center experiences are all over the place. There are some that have justifiable problems that Tesla deflects, but there are also some needy owners who harp on every little fault.

You could always schedule something at the Tyson's service center, though it would be less convenient than Rockville. My anecdotal experience at the service center was good. They recently took care of several things under warranty without an issue, though I did not have a loaner for the 2 days they had my car. I have never owned a car under warranty, so this is a new experience to me.

Service Center experiences are all over the place. There are some that have justifiable problems that Tesla deflects, but there are also some needy owners who harp on every little fault.

You could always schedule something at the Tyson's service center, though it would be less convenient than Rockville. My anecdotal experience at the service center was good. They recently took care of several things under warranty without an issue, though I did not have a loaner for the 2 days they had my car. I have never owned a car under warranty, so this is a new experience to me.

in the 3 years and 44k miles of ownership, I have visited the service center a grand total of ZERO times. Had mobile service to my house twice. Once to replace a 12v battery and once to replace my seat upon delivery. (Was stitched weird). Home service has been fantastic.
I live in Michigan and therefore will need to drive out of state one time before the warranty is up to do a check.

I wouldn’t not buy a car based on the experience I “might” have at a repair facility. Besides, if absolutely necessary, there could be a verified repair shop closer but you would be on the hook for warranty items.

Reactions: voltage
I've reserved a 2013 MS on Turo for 2 days next weekend just to "be sure" I want a Tesla but I'm fairly certain it's a done deal...
That said, once/if the wifey agrees, I'll be in full-scale hunting mode for a 2016 MS.
We'll probably wind up going through Tesla but the whole delivery process steers us toward traveling a ways to pick the thing up.
I figure I'll throw a little blood in the waters here to see if there's anyone trying to sell there's privately.

Would love to have:
  • Solid Black, Obsidian Black or Midnight Silver exterior
  • Black or tan interior
  • Dual motor
  • 75 or higher
Honestly, FSD falls into the “bells & whistles” category for me.
Not a big deal and I really don’t wanna become that guy who’s scrolling Facebook while truckin down the road ;-)
The primary catalyst is zero gas (vs my obscene Yukon).
It looks like there are a ton of Model S’ in Newburgh, NY that meet my criteria.
It may be worth the trip up there to pick one up the old fashioned way...
TDB, I felt exactly like you do, until I tried it. It reduces the stress of driving big time! I always used cruise control on long drives, but constant attention was required to make sure you were not gaining on the car in front of you. Now that is history, since Tesla will not only adjust its speed but actually stop and restart. So assume you are stopped in traffic. While stopped you start checking your audio options; the car will restart, when the car in front starts to move and jolt you back into paying attention - what a lifesaver. My wife's Lexus will slow down to about 18 mph and give up audibly signalling you to take control.

I have done autopark when other cars are not breathing down my neck (autopark is relatively slow). I have done automatic backing out of my garage, entering the garage is problematic because the car stops 8 inches from the wall - my garage is so small I can only allow 4 inches. I have tried autosteer, both with navigation and without. I usually do not do that when my wife is with me because it scares her too much. The latest softwars update shows traffic signals, stop signs and a few other road markings. As soon as full featured self drive is released, I intend to try it, but may not use it much if it requires my constant attention.

Seriously, these are all features that I’m super-pumped to “kick the tires” on but the most enticing is no gas. I’m currently driving a 2015 Yukon XL Denali and I think the amount I spend at the pump is roughly equal to what some folks pay for housing. It’s obscene.
I’ve never bought a car sight unseen before and this part of the deal is what’s most difficult to get past.
I’ve got my saved search on EV-cpo.
I know we will want a 2016 dual motor with as many options as we can get in the $45k range. Black, midnight silver or grey.
Test drive is tonight through tomorrow and hopefully the wife is won over and the family fits comfortably.
Thanks for all your help!

I purchased a 2016 Model S 70, no regrets. Canceled my Model 3 reservations and picked up a used one for a great deal from Tesla with a warranty. However, I did not know the difference between 2016 and 2016.5 until AFTER I purchased it. You can Google the differences and see if it affects you or not. Given that I never had a Tesla before, AP1/MCU1 is fine for me for what it serves the purpose for.

^ Firmware updates. You claimed, “I would not want anything that isn't an MCU2 car at this point, you arent getting anymore updates.” What updates are you saying MCU1 is not getting? Your general statement is simply not true.

• Disagree
Reactions: croman