Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

ISO 2016 Model S

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I've reserved a 2013 MS on Turo for 2 days next weekend just to "be sure" I want a Tesla but I'm fairly certain it's a done deal...
That said, once/if the wifey agrees, I'll be in full-scale hunting mode for a 2016 MS.
We'll probably wind up going through Tesla but the whole delivery process steers us toward traveling a ways to pick the thing up.
I figure I'll throw a little blood in the waters here to see if there's anyone trying to sell there's privately.

Would love to have:
  • Solid Black, Obsidian Black or Midnight Silver exterior
  • Black or tan interior
  • Dual motor
  • 75 or higher

I think the idea is to get behind the wheel of the ‘13 to see just what driving an EV is like. Also to see if the car is big enough for the family.
The ‘16 will then be that much better, right??

Yes the 16 will be much better in every way. The most obvious improvments other than the general fit and finish are the improved seats, awd (if included) and autopilot. I've had a 2014 P85 and now a 2016 90D and the newer car is better and offers the same performance as the 2014 P version.

So I've decided to save a few bucks and do an overnight test drive of a new Model S instead of renting on Turo.
This turns things around quite a bit!
Do you think now we're going to fall in love with this new beast and feel like we're settling for a '16???
Whatever...
We simply can not afford the new car and will need to just get over it!

BTW. The guy at the DC Tesla shop set us up to pick up on New Year's Eve and since they're closed on New Year's Day, we get to keep it for the extra day, BONUS!!

Reactions: Cheburashka
We test drove a new model S and made the decision to buy, but I try to never buy new. We went the CPO route. I just patiently monitored ev-cpo.com until a good one came up. I found one manufactured in nov 2016. It was in Orlando and we’re in Atlanta, 452 miles away. I bought it and opted to pickup instead of $2,000 delivery. $152 one-way plane ticket and I got to spend all day in our new car checking it out. Two weeks in, we absolutely love it.

my main criteria was that it have full self driving. I had not studied the forums in great depth. In hindsight, I would have liked to have a better understanding of the issues surrounding the different auto pilot Hardware levels, and compatibility with MCU1. I probably would have made the same decision, but I’m slightly concerned about the path to FSD with a car equipped with MCU1 and AP2.0. Give that some serious consideration.

Reactions: croman
So I've decided to save a few bucks and do an overnight test drive of a new Model S instead of renting on Turo.
This turns things around quite a bit!
Do you think now we're going to fall in love with this new beast and feel like we're settling for a '16???
Whatever...

BTW. The guy at the DC Tesla shop set us up to pick up on New Year's Eve and since they're closed on New Year's Day, we get to keep it for the extra day, BONUS!!
I can’t speak for 2016 suspension but the Raven suspension is just fantastic. Now they have 3 settings including a new comfort mode with latest update. This was a huge deal in my decision to buy new.

Whatever...

I don't think so. I drove a 2019 long range which was terrific of course, but I also could not afford the new car. I am happy with my 2015. Yes, I wish my MCU was faster, but the 2015-2016 cars are not garbage. AP1 works very well, the MCU is functional (except the browser!) and the fit and finish is still decent. You'll be happy with the $30k or so that you save by buying a used car. :)

I test drove a 2019 and am buying a 2016, basically the same spec as you want. 75D, obsidian black metallic, AP1, tan leather. Got it for 44k. Just couldn't justify 80+k for a new model S, and cannot live with the minimalist interior (and light headliner) of the model 3/Y. If they keep on with that, I imagine that my next EV may well be another manufacturer.
I did consider a newer FSD-equipped car, but decided against paying a premium for that given the uncertainty of the FSD upgrades being available for an MCU1 car.
Really looking forward to my "new to me" Tesla.

Honestly, FSD falls into the “bells & whistles” category for me.
Not a big deal and I really don’t wanna become that guy who’s scrolling Facebook while truckin down the road ;-)
The primary catalyst is zero gas (vs my obscene Yukon).
It looks like there are a ton of Model S’ in Newburgh, NY that meet my criteria.
It may be worth the trip up there to pick one up the old fashioned way...

Honestly, FSD falls into the “bells & whistles” category for me.
Not a big deal and I really don’t wanna become that guy who’s scrolling Facebook while truckin down the road ;-)
The primary catalyst is zero gas (vs my obscene Yukon).
It looks like there are a ton of Model S’ in Newburgh, NY that meet my criteria.
It may be worth the trip up there to pick one up the old fashioned way...

Yeah, mine is in Newburgh, but apparently that's only a "storage location" and you can't pick up the car there. They're delivering mine to me in Mount Kisco (12 mins from my house) for no charge.
My primary goal was no gas too, but AP seemed like cool tech. I think AP1 will be enough of a novelty for a while. Have my doubts that FSD will really fulfill the promises that Elon is making about robo taxis, but as a driver assist system (especially for traffic jams), seems like a worthy feature.

I've reserved a 2013 MS on Turo for 2 days next weekend just to "be sure" I want a Tesla but I'm fairly certain it's a done deal...
That said, once/if the wifey agrees, I'll be in full-scale hunting mode for a 2016 MS.
We'll probably wind up going through Tesla but the whole delivery process steers us toward traveling a ways to pick the thing up.
I figure I'll throw a little blood in the waters here to see if there's anyone trying to sell there's privately.

Would love to have:
  • Solid Black, Obsidian Black or Midnight Silver exterior
  • Black or tan interior
  • Dual motor
  • 75 or higher
TDB, I for one think you are going about your decision in a truly methodical manner. If you have never seriously considered owning an EV before, you definitely do not want to rush in. It is very important to convince your most frequent passenger before you make the commitment. I made my decision without a firm buy-in from my wife and she still considers the Tesla "my toy"! Make sure you get the following two experiences:
1. Supercharger. Have your wife plug it in.
2. Full acceleration. You may want to do this alone.

Don't let distance (within reason) deter you from finding the perfect car. I flew out and picked mine up from Chicago and drove it 750 miles home to NOVA (2 days). It was a great way to get familiar with the car. The $2k delivery fee was far too bitter a pill to swallow for what amounted for a $500 trip.

AP is a real game changer in stop and go traffic and long highway trips. FSD was not a lure for me since I actually enjoy driving otherwise.