TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Israel to Back Electric Car Plan

Discussion in 'News' started by danny, Nov 12, 2007.

1. danny

danny Administrator

http://jalopnik.com/cars/news/israel-to-back-electric-car-plan-321692.php

I have been saying Israel should do this. They are a great country for this to work due to its small size and expensive gasoline.

2. TEG

TEG TMC Moderator

I wonder if Tesla is planning to jump on that bandwagon?

3. tonybelding

tonybelding Active Member

I don't see Tesla going for that, but I could imagine Th!nk or Mitsubishi doing so. They have product plans more aligned with this sort of venture.

Also. . . You can go around the world and cherry-pick locales where electric cars would be most viable: Israel, Hawaii, London. . . But the USA is the biggest waster of petroleum in the world. If you really want to tackle the larger global problem, the USA is the number one place to do it.

And Elon Musk is not known for thinking small.

4. danny

danny Administrator

I see what your saying, Tony, about the US being the best place to go for first but I do think it might be a good idea to show the world that it can work somewhere else. Trying it in Israel for example has a greater chance of quick success and therefore would offer a sort of "study" on how to get it done.

5. Kardax

Kardax Member

I think Tesla might someday export to Israel, but I don't see them participating in a battery swap scheme anywhere in the near future. That technology is little more than a 3D animation at this point; the technical challenges of implementing it could very easily eat all of Shai Agassi's $200 million.

Tesla has avoided making bets on unproven technology wherever they could, and they won't start here.

-Ryan

6. Tesla2Go

Tesla2Go Member

Truly amazing, a proposal that makes this much sense.....