Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

ISS had a leak caused by Russian orbital module

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Grendal

SpaceX Moderator
Jan 31, 2012
Santa Fe, New Mexico
From the article, quote: “The leak has been isolated to a hole about two millimeters in diameter in the orbital compartment, or upper section, of the Soyuz MS-09 spacecraft," NASA officials said in a subsequent statement about the status of the repair work. "The rate of the leak was slowed this morning through the temporary application of Kapton tape at the leak site. Flight controllers are working with the crew to develop a more comprehensive long-term repair."

For “Kapton tape”, read “duct tape”. ;)

Looks like the fix worked. It's held pressure perfect.

"Flight controllers at their respective Mission Control centers in Houston and Moscow worked together with the crew to effect a repair option in which Soyuz commander Sergey Prokopyev of Roscosmos used epoxy on a gauze wipe to plug the hole identified as the leak source."

Reactions: Grendal
From the article, quote: “The leak has been isolated to a hole about two millimeters in diameter in the orbital compartment, or upper section, of the Soyuz MS-09 spacecraft," NASA officials said in a subsequent statement about the status of the repair work. "The rate of the leak was slowed this morning through the temporary application of Kapton tape at the leak site. Flight controllers are working with the crew to develop a more comprehensive long-term repair."

For “Kapton tape”, read “duct tape”. ;)

Kapton tape - don't leave Earth without it.

Or maybe that's - epoxy and gauze - don't leave Earth without it.

:)

• Funny
Reactions: Grendal
The hole causing the issue.
index.php

The repair.
index.php

• Helpful
Reactions: e-FTW
When the story originally broke they were discussing the hole showing signs of being made from the interior, rather than exterior. Something could have changed with more analysis, I don't know.
Okay, I didn’t see that discussion. I can’t imagine something occurring inside the Soyuz that could result in a 2mm hole but of course I know very little about the detailed design and operation of that vehicle. It just seemed to me that a micrometeorite was by far the likeliest explanation.

When the story originally broke they were discussing the hole showing signs of being made from the interior, rather than exterior. Something could have changed with more analysis, I don't know.
My guess based on facts:
· The control-center registered a small air-leak on the station, and did not know where and/or what it was. The people on-board was at sleep.
· The news leaked out (just like air ;) ) and the journalists started to speculate and wrote an article based on that.
· The astronauts/cosmonauts wake up and was asked to try to locate the leak.
· They did discover the 2mm hole.
· The article was updated but they "forgot" to remove the speculation (word-count is word-count after all ;) )