Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

ISS News and Discussion

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Grendal

SpaceX Moderator
Jan 31, 2012
Santa Fe, New Mexico

I read that as that now that Russia isn’t being paid to ferry astronauts to/from the ISS, they’ve decided it is too expensive for them. China would be a good replacement but relations haven’t been great. EU?

I‘ve always thought the ISS was a very expensive endeavor mostly because ferrying humans is still expensive. Maybe Starship will change the economics?

Rogozin bein' Rogozin!

The next few years are going to be interesting for Russian space. Russia as a country has really been heating up over the years (Military action, etc) and its been apparent that they're willing to let their space program tread water...I mean I guess that's kinda been the case since the beginning...I digress. Anyway, there's certainly some clever ideas in the pipeline, but there's really no money to bring them to fruition. Its hard to imagine there being a lot of appetite to put up a research station that's a smaller, crappier version of the one that's already up there...

Somewhat related, I wonder what the agreement is on one's on orbit modules if they formally leave the agreement? Certainly there won't be some partial disassembly of the thing, but like...what happens if a Russian module starts to fall into a state of disrepair? How much information do The Americans have on the module and can they fix it without any Russian support? Or will they need to duct tape/chewing gum a reverse engineered fix?

Rogozin bein' Rogozin!

The next few years are going to be interesting for Russian space. Russia as a country has really been heating up over the years (Military action, etc) and its been apparent that they're willing to let their space program tread water...I mean I guess that's kinda been the case since the beginning...I digress. Anyway, there's certainly some clever ideas in the pipeline, but there's really no money to bring them to fruition. Its hard to imagine there being a lot of appetite to put up a research station that's a smaller, crappier version of the one that's already up there...

Somewhat related, I wonder what the agreement is on one's on orbit modules if they formally leave the agreement? Certainly there won't be some partial disassembly of the thing, but like...what happens if a Russian module starts to fall into a state of disrepair? How much information do The Americans have on the module and can they fix it without any Russian support? Or will they need to duct tape/chewing gum a reverse engineered fix?

And where do we buy space hardened duct tape / chewing gum anyway? I want some of that stuff :D

• Funny
Reactions: bmah
And where do we buy space hardened duct tape / chewing gum anyway? I want some of that stuff :D

CB359.

Before that it was 9309 or for high temp applications, 9394. Don’t forget the micro beads to maintain bondline thickness!

All-manner of tapes for all different things. Kapton, fiberglass, aluminum, etc...

(ISS probably(?) has actual duct tape—most of the “space grade” stuff is really for vacuum environments where TML and CVCM are really important)

CB359.

Before that it was 9309 or for high temp applications, 9394. Don’t forget the micro beads to maintain bondline thickness!

All-manner of tapes for all different things. Kapton, fiberglass, aluminum, etc...

(ISS probably(?) has actual duct tape—most of the “space grade” stuff is really for vacuum environments where TML and CVCM are really important)
I don't know if I want Funny or Love, or even Informative. Too bad I can't do them all :)

It's a real thing - that's awesome (I'm putting these into the bubble gum category).

• Funny
Reactions: bxr140 and Grendal
Iffn you like to lose yourself in product specs, the riveting Sheldahl Redbook has all manner of spacey tapes. 🚀

And the good people at Click Bond have all your "I didn't know I needed that gizmo" mounting and assembly gizmos. Pretty much all of their products are someone from some industry coming to them with a "I need A Thing do to This Thing" request and then Click Bond goes and makes That Thing.

Given the latest geopolitical developments (the Russian invasion of Ukraine driven by Putin’s personal pride and his fantasy version of history) I’m thinking that Russia is going to withdraw from the ISS even earlier than anticipated (months, next year, who knows) as the country’s relations with the US and Europe are now in a tailspin. As we know, Russia stated last year that some of it’s ISS modules are beyond their design life.

I have read that a critical component of Russia‘s ISS participation is using the Progress resupply vehicle’s thrusters to periodically raise the orbit of the ISS. As far as I know there is currently no other way to perform that essential function.

So I’m wondering if SpaceX can come to the rescue and develop a new version of Cargo Dragon (”Thrust Dragon”? ;-) with sufficient thruster capability to perform that critical function?

Reactions: Grendal