Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Issue after rain, Car throws a list of errors and will not move, once it dries out back to normal

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have had a problem that continues to plague my 2013 Model S. After a rain i have had this had this happen 4 times this year. I would go to my car and open the rear door and throw my backpack in the back seat and then open the drivers door. Upon opening the front door I am greeted with a chorus of alert sounds and a list of errors popping up on my center screen. Parking brake disabled (car may roll), car is in neutral, and on and on. the car fully boots but just keeps ringing with the errors over and over. If I get out and shut the door the handles retract and I am unable to get them to present since it thinks the car is in gear. the only things I can do at that point is pop the frunk or vent the sunroof in the app. At that point it has been towed to the local service center and they have replaced the Body control module on attempt 1, and checked it again on the second visit and on the 3rd visit they spent 2 weeks looking for any visible issue with no resolution. I have been told the next step it a complete look over of the wiring harness in the hopes of finding the issue. What is so confusing to me is after each issue the car becomes operable again after it "Dries out". Each occurrence happened after a light to moderate rain shower. The most recent happened friday. I drove to work when it was dry and the car sat in the parking long at work. After a rain shower I went to leave work and the car did the whole error show. in the 45-60mins waiting for the tow truck the car must have dried enough to come back alive.

Does anyone know what could be the issue? I am thinking it has to be some sort of connection in line with where water would drain down off the car. need to figure this out because I dont want to have a fair weather car because fair weather is limited in michigan

Thanks

It sounds like possibly could be an issue with moisture getting in one of the connectors somewhere that is causing a short. If that's the case, sometimes the exact combination of error codes can be a clue. What would also help with this is that it's the same list of errors each time. The hope is by looking at the specific combination or errors that this helps point to a specific circuit, or possibly common ground or voltage supply that's shared by multiple devices, that helps narrow down or target what part of the total electrical wiring network to troubleshoot.

Sorry, that's not necessarily a lot of help, but the only suggestion I can offer.

is issue fixed? completely same thing at my TMS 2014, nobody can find a problem

Might be same as this one

Might be same as this one

Took my car from a serivce, and since that its driving, all good! The thing they fixed was something to do with TPMS module, the gen 1 was retroffited with gen 2, and the old connector wasn't sealed, and got water in it which was causing short to the CAN.

• Informative
Reactions: Gtech
Took my car from a serivce, and since that its driving, all good! The thing they fixed was something to do with TPMS module, the gen 1 was retroffited with gen 2, and the old connector wasn't sealed, and got water in it which was causing short to the CAN.

You probably got the Baolong to Continental retrofit. Baolong module mounted near rear aero shield, Continental mounted interior near rear seats.

If car is built before 10/14, LDU and rear brake electrical connectors are also towards the rear of the aero shield on the subframe. But maybe slightly higher than the Baolong TPMS module. You can see in figure 3 of the above PDF when they plug the Baolong connector. Something to consider if the Baolong TPMS connector got corroded.

Update from my side : Last time they fixed something with TPMS module, i had no problems till today.. Big moisture outside, rain, sit in my car, put in into reverse and to my surprise - ABS/Steering assist errors popped up, the doors wont unlatch easily, the handles wont go out all together, only one by one.. Starting to get sick of this car.. i rechecked both ground studs under frunk, remade them for 100% good conenction, the errors wont go away..

Where else i should look for a problem? Obviously moisture gets somewhere and it triggers all errors, and the car is bricked till the sunny and dry weather comes..

TMS 2014 85