Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Issue: AP Tracking Vehicles in Adjacent Lanes

rohan3au

Oct 27, 2017
Newcastle, Australia
Hey guys,

Anyone else having this issue the past 2 or 3 software versions?

AP is tracking vehicles in adjacent lanes and slowing, sometimes aggressively, to match their speed. AP has even tracked a vehicle in an adjacent lane that was behind me and slammed the brakes on. This is happening dozens of times on my recent trips and means I have to hover my foot over the accelerator the entire time to stop it phantom braking.

See image below of the car tracking two cars in the left lane that are clearly in their own marked lane. Car would not pass them and matched their speed (105), I had to override by pressing the accelerator.

IMG_7068.JPG

• Funny
Reactions: KenC and SlimJim

RoBoRaT

Zero Farts Given!
Nov 22, 2018
NorthSoCal
Yes. I commute same Freeway and I am always on guard with the same places where car on adjacent lane is yawed towards your lane - then my car will abruptly slow down to avoid what it think is a likely collision.

This is my usual scenario: I'm in HOV lane next to a merge lane (on my right) without any merging car, but Tesla is tracking a car (blackened in screen) the next lane over (on my right still; fast lane on freeway where cars are going 80+ mph and I'm in HOV lane at 75sh mph).

So I look out for (blackened) cars and at the ready to intervene, or just move away on the next lane if feasible.
20201025_061659.jpg

• Funny
Reactions: SlimJim

TomT

Technical Maven
Mar 24, 2014
NE Georgia
Yep, I've seen this behavior a number of times... I seem to remember a release note some time back where Tesla described it as a new feature...

lUtriaNt

Mar 16, 2020
Los Angeles
i noticed this behavior the other day as well. i immediately looked for those reverse arrows you see when the screen shows you the cars are moving slower than you.. dont recall seeing them,, just the car reducing speed.

• Love
Reactions: ElectricIAC

ElectricIAC

Devil’s Advocate
Dec 31, 2019
DFW
Hey guys,

Anyone else having this issue the past 2 or 3 software versions?

AP is tracking vehicles in adjacent lanes and slowing, sometimes aggressively, to match their speed. AP has even tracked a vehicle in an adjacent lane that was behind me and slammed the brakes on. This is happening dozens of times on my recent trips and means I have to hover my foot over the accelerator the entire time to stop it phantom braking.

See image below of the car tracking two cars in the left lane that are clearly in their own marked lane. Car would not pass them and matched their speed (105), I had to override by pressing the accelerator.

View attachment 602288
Yes. Hate it.

RoBoRaT

Zero Farts Given!
Nov 22, 2018
NorthSoCal
Reactions: rohan3au

About Us

Formed in 2006, Tesla Motors Club (TMC) was the first independent online Tesla community. Today it remains the largest and most dynamic community of Tesla enthusiasts. Learn more.

Do you value your experience at TMC? Consider becoming a Supporting Member of Tesla Motors Club. As a thank you for your contribution, you'll get nearly no ads in the Community and Groups sections. Additional perks are available depending on the level of contribution. Please visit the Account Upgrades page for more details.

SUPPORT TMC