TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Issue charging and power outage

Discussion in 'Model S: Battery & Charging' started by RYCO, Jun 10, 2016.

1. RYCO

RYCO Member

So the other day i needed to take my charging cable with me so as i walked buy the plug i pulled it out of the wall. Since im new to this, i didnt think about disconnecting it from thr car first. i couldnt unplug from the car after that. So i plugged it into wall again, waited for it to communicate then start charging. Did the normal push the button to get it out and it wouldnt release. Took about 5 min to get it to let go. So, how do i fix that if i loose power to the out let either by an outage where power isnt restored before i need to leave or if i accidently do that again?

2. bkp_duke

bkp_duke Member

I believe in the car there is a screen option to unlock the port, and I think this is only shown when the cord is plugged in, but no current is running.

3. mikeash

mikeash Active Member

You can unlock the charge port from the touchscreen in the controls area, or by holding down the trunk button on your key fob for about three seconds.

4. kort677

kort677 Active Member

where the car's doors locked? if your car's doors are locked the charge port will lock the connection and the charger cannot be removed.

5. TexasEV

TexasEV Active Member

This is probably what happened. If you mistakenly unplug the UMC and plug it back in again, the cable is ready to disconnect in a few seconds. When approaching the car from the rear (or standing at the charge port in the rear) it's easy to forget that the doors are still locked so the charge port is also locked.

6. RYCO

RYCO Member

Cool. Thanks. Maybe ill play with it and try to recreate it and see what i did.