Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Issue related to car delivery - Anyone have escalation contact information?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hello all,

I was scheduled to take delivery of my 2023 Tesla MYLR tomorrow 2/25/23. I received a phone call from the delivery center that the vehicle was delivered with a broken/defective windshield wiper arm and they cannot deliver the vehicle in its current state due to this being a safety hazard. They said the eta for a new arm piece is 2 weeks but could be longer, could be shorter.

As I'm sure all of you know, but the federal tax credit guidelines are possibly changing in March 2023, unknown exact date or what the change will be if any at all. It is possible this 2 week delay won't change anything. But it is also possible that this delay leads to me missing out on the full 7500 federal tax credit, due to Tesla's fault in building a defective car.

Does anyone know who I can contact about this issue and see if Tesla will honor this 7500, if I miss out on it? Any corporate or higher-up individual I can get in touch with?

Did you ask the SC if they could allow you to take delivery of the vehicle and just not let you drive it off the lot until after the wiper arm got fixed? That would seem like the easiest way to ensure that you take delivery before March to qualify for the tax credit.

I have a hard time seeing a situation where Tesla would give you $7500 of tax credit (which isn't coming out of their pockets to begin with, but Uncle Sam's instead). Especially given that delivery dates are just estimates and not guaranteed anywhere.

Seems like if you got a hold of the right person at your local SC, that you could explain the situation to them and maybe they could work with you? If I were happy with the condition of everything else except for the broken wiper arm, I'd accept the vehicle and make a payment and just have them keep the car until they got it fixed.

This OP will need to try to work this out with their delivery center. There is no "higher up email / phone number" anyone here has to contact someone about this. If there was, it would have been disconnected a LONG LONG time ago because of the number of people who would have tried to escalate X and Y and Z and A and B (all the price talk, every single delivery issue, etc).

Hello all,

I was scheduled to take delivery of my 2023 Tesla MYLR tomorrow 2/25/23. I received a phone call from the delivery center that the vehicle was delivered with a broken/defective windshield wiper arm and they cannot deliver the vehicle in its current state due to this being a safety hazard. They said the eta for a new arm piece is 2 weeks but could be longer, could be shorter.

As I'm sure all of you know, but the federal tax credit guidelines are possibly changing in March 2023, unknown exact date or what the change will be if any at all. It is possible this 2 week delay won't change anything. But it is also possible that this delay leads to me missing out on the full 7500 federal tax credit, due to Tesla's fault in building a defective car.

Does anyone know who I can contact about this issue and see if Tesla will honor this 7500, if I miss out on it? Any corporate or higher-up individual I can get in touch with?
Tesla is not going to honor if the tax credit rules are changed before you take the delivery but you could still take your chances as it is not exact when in March the new tax credit rule will be effective and which Tesla models will be affected.

Did you ask the SC if they could allow you to take delivery of the vehicle and just not let you drive it off the lot until after the wiper arm got fixed? That would seem like the easiest way to ensure that you take delivery before March to qualify for the tax credit.

I have a hard time seeing a situation where Tesla would give you $7500 of tax credit (which isn't coming out of their pockets to begin with, but Uncle Sam's instead). Especially given that delivery dates are just estimates and not guaranteed anywhere.

Seems like if you got a hold of the right person at your local SC, that you could explain the situation to them and maybe they could work with you? If I were happy with the condition of everything else except for the broken wiper arm, I'd accept the vehicle and make a payment and just have them keep the car until they got it fixed.
I tried to explain the situation multiple times, and the sales advisor basically had the attitude of "not my problem". I will have to contact them again regarding if they will let me purchase the vehicle, and just not let me drive it off the lot but based on my conversation from today, it is not likely that they'll let me do that.

Tesla cannot change/will not falsify your "placed in service" date required for the IRS form, so that avenue is closed, no point in calling anyone. Expecting Tesla to cough up $7500 is out of the question IMO. How do you think all the buyers who bought just ahead of the price decrease feel? They aren't going to be compensated, and shouldn't be.

Tesla deliveries are pushed back all the time. While I am sure they didn't intend to create a tax credit issue for you, the nature of your delay is immaterial or who's "fault" it is - Tesla has identified and agreed to correct, that's all you can reasonably expect. The only way you might be able to preserve your tax credit, as suggested in post #2 above, may be to arrange to take delivery (accept and pay) with your SA and have the WW issue corrected with a service call at a later date. That might mean you can't drive the vehicle off the lot at delivery, but then that's already the case.

Last edited:
Just drove half way to Charlotte NC to pick up my model Y. Got a text almost an hour into the drive and was told the vehicle is on hold due to a faulty wiring harness for wifi.

They knew about this the day before and let me drive half way there on rt 85 which is almost all under construction.

Vert bad customer communication!!

Just drove half way to Charlotte NC to pick up my model Y. Got a text almost an hour into the drive and was told the vehicle is on hold due to a faulty wiring harness for wifi.

They knew about this the day before and let me drive half way there on rt 85 which is almost all under construction.

Vert bad customer communication!!
I’m curious why you didn’t speak to someone ahead of time asking if the car was checked over? I wouldn’t get in the car until it was verified to be ready for delivery.