Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Issue switching between profiles/phones

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I recently bought a model 3 and set my phone up as the primary key with a profile, and then set my husband's phone up with its own profile. The first time we were in the car together, it switched automatically from his profile to mine when I got close to the car, as I would have expected. The second time we were both in the car, it didn't automatically switch, and didn't recognize my phone at all. I tried rebooting my phone, no dice. I un paired and repaired, no luck. I followed all the troubleshooting steps to no avail and ended up having to reboot the car before it would properly pair with my phone. Since then, despite my phone being set to the default, the car won't switch from my husband's profile to mine, even when his phone is no longer there and mine is. Anyone know why this might be or have any idea how to fix it?

I'm not sure what you have done or haven't done, but you do have to take an additional step to actually associate a particular phone with a particular profile. It doesn't just happen, and it has nothing to do with whether or not your phone pairs with the audio system (that's a completely separate thing).

My wife and I are currently sharing my Tesla while she waits for her car to be built/delivered. We used to both have practically identical seat adjustments, but after driving an SUV for awhile, she now prefers the seat to be higher and closer, which necessitates the profile switch so I don't bang my knees on the steering wheel getting in. Unfortunately her phone's Bluetooth is slightly more powerful than mine apparently because it almost always picks hers up when we approach the car together. So even though I have my phone set up to automatically switch profiles, it only works when I'm driving alone. For that reason, I've basically just resorted to manually switching profiles anyway. It's not that big a deal. I will set her profile up with Easy Entry so that the seat moves back when the door opens and should give me enough time to manually switch profiles in case her profile gets picked up inadvertently.

• Helpful
Reactions: jjrandorin
Upvote 0
I'm not sure what you have done or haven't done, but you do have to take an additional step to actually associate a particular phone with a particular profile. It doesn't just happen, and it has nothing to do with whether or not your phone pairs with the audio system (that's a completely separate thing).

My wife and I are currently sharing my Tesla while she waits for her car to be built/delivered. We used to both have practically identical seat adjustments, but after driving an SUV for awhile, she now prefers the seat to be higher and closer, which necessitates the profile switch so I don't bang my knees on the steering wheel getting in. Unfortunately her phone's Bluetooth is slightly more powerful than mine apparently because it almost always picks hers up when we approach the car together. So even though I have my phone set up to automatically switch profiles, it only works when I'm driving alone. For that reason, I've basically just resorted to manually switching profiles anyway. It's not that big a deal. I will set her profile up with Easy Entry so that the seat moves back when the door opens and should give me enough time to manually switch profiles in case her profile gets picked up inadvertently.
I did set my phone to pair with my profile and my husband's to his...but now that you mention it, I didn't redo that when I unpaired and re-paired my phone when I was troubleshooting. I will go check that, thank you.

Upvote 0
I have had a similar issue with my profile versus my wife’s profile and our linked phones. We both have the profiles set up with our phones linked to our respective profiles, but sometimes when one of us gets in the car alone after the other has driven it the car remains on the former profile. Even though it detects our phone through Bluetooth and unlocks the doors, it doesn’t always switch to the new profile. Any thoughts?

Upvote 0
I have had a similar issue with my profile versus my wife’s profile and our linked phones. We both have the profiles set up with our phones linked to our respective profiles, but sometimes when one of us gets in the car alone after the other has driven it the car remains on the former profile. Even though it detects our phone through Bluetooth and unlocks the doors, it doesn’t always switch to the new profile. Any thoughts?
We have also had the odd situation where my wife will go out to get in the car, and the car will unlock and let her in (presumably picking her phone up via Bluetooth), but will connect to my phone ( which is in the house) via Bluetooth and start playing music from my phone when she tries to listen to music.

Upvote 0
We have also had the odd situation where my wife will go out to get in the car, and the car will unlock and let her in (presumably picking her phone up via Bluetooth), but will connect to my phone ( which is in the house) via Bluetooth and start playing music from my phone when she tries to listen to music.
The phone as key (i.e. which phone unlocks the car) has nothing to do with the Bluetooth audio connection. Consider those two entirely separate things. It doesn't matter which phone unlocks the door.

The nice (or maybe not nice) thing is that for Bluetooth audio, you can set a Primary Phone that the audio system will prefer as the phone/audio source it will connect to first. So for example, in my car, I have it set to my phone, and in my wife's car, it's set to her phone. This usually makes sense, but on a recent road trip where we took her car, I was controlling the audio from my phone, so I had to keep on re-connecting to my phone for audio, but usually the primary phone capability makes sense.

As for your previous post, I can't say that's my experience any more, and in fact, after the most recent software update, the car has amazed the hell out of me for picking the correct profile. It seems to actually be trying to figure out whose phone is nearest the driver door when they get in. We don't have to try to time getting into the car with the driver going first...the car seems to correctly set the driver profile of the person actually getting in the driver's side. It did this 100% correct for the recent week+ long road trip we took and swapped drivers frequently. I am very impressed with the latest software (I think we are on FSD Beta 2022.45.something).

Upvote 0
The phone as key (i.e. which phone unlocks the car) has nothing to do with the Bluetooth audio connection. Consider those two entirely separate things. It doesn't matter which phone unlocks the door.

The nice (or maybe not nice) thing is that for Bluetooth audio, you can set a Primary Phone that the audio system will prefer as the phone/audio source it will connect to first. So for example, in my car, I have it set to my phone, and in my wife's car, it's set to her phone. This usually makes sense, but on a recent road trip where we took her car, I was controlling the audio from my phone, so I had to keep on re-connecting to my phone for audio, but usually the primary phone capability makes sense.

As for your previous post, I can't say that's my experience any more, and in fact, after the most recent software update, the car has amazed the hell out of me for picking the correct profile. It seems to actually be trying to figure out whose phone is nearest the driver door when they get in. We don't have to try to time getting into the car with the driver going first...the car seems to correctly set the driver profile of the person actually getting in the driver's side. It did this 100% correct for the recent week+ long road trip we took and swapped drivers frequently. I am very impressed with the latest software (I think we are on FSD Beta 2022.45.something).
Thanks for the response. Yes, I set my wife’s phone to be the primary on her profile and my phone to be the primary on my profile. I seem to remember the screen saying that the phone would be primary for that specific profile, but I can’t remember the exact words. However, that’s not really what the car is doing. Do you know if only one phone can be set as primary and this applies to all profiles? When you set a phone as primary does it override any previous phone that was set as primary?

Also, doesn’t the phone that unlocks the driver door determine which profile the car is set to?

Thanks again.

Upvote 0

Note that we don’t have FSD beta. We have a 2023 model 3, and it says we are on version 2023.6.9. We have installed all the software updates that we have received since we got the car about a month ago.

Upvote 0
Thanks for the response. Yes, I set my wife’s phone to be the primary on her profile and my phone to be the primary on my profile. I seem to remember the screen saying that the phone would be primary for that specific profile, but I can’t remember the exact words. However, that’s not really what the car is doing. Do you know if only one phone can be set as primary and this applies to all profiles? When you set a phone as primary does it override any previous phone that was set as primary?
I think the Primary phone is with the car, not the profile. At least that's what appears to be the case in our case. So maybe that is why you think it is misbehaving.

Also, doesn’t the phone that unlocks the driver door determine which profile the car is set to?
This is how it appears to be working now for us, but that's only as of the very last software update we got. Before that it seemed to be whatever phone it detected first as we walked up to the car.

Upvote 0
I think the Primary phone is with the car, not the profile. At least that's what appears to be the case in our case. So maybe that is why you think it is misbehaving.

This is how it appears to be working now for us, but that's only as of the very last software update we got. Before that it seemed to be whatever phone it detected first as we walked up to the car.
Yes, it’s certainly possible that it’s just that I don’t understand how the settings really work. That is key to getting the behavior we want!

I just went out and moved the car in the driveway, and it stayed on my wife’s profile, even though I opened the door with my phone and her phone is nowhere nearby. I’m definitely not sure what’s going on… but I did notice that we just got notified of a new software update. Will go ahead and install that tonight and I will check over the settings again and try to get my wife’s phone to be the primary phone for audio.

Our goal is to have the car profile automatically set to whoever is driving. It would be preferable for it to default to that person’s phone for audio as well, but if that is not possible, we will set my wife’s phone as primary for audio. Hopefully that is doable. We’ll see!

Upvote 0