Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Issue switching between profiles/phones

I recently bought a model 3 and set my phone up as the primary key with a profile, and then set my husband's phone up with its own profile. The first time we were in the car together, it switched automatically from his profile to mine when I got close to the car, as I would have expected. The second time we were both in the car, it didn't automatically switch, and didn't recognize my phone at all. I tried rebooting my phone, no dice. I un paired and repaired, no luck. I followed all the troubleshooting steps to no avail and ended up having to reboot the car before it would properly pair with my phone. Since then, despite my phone being set to the default, the car won't switch from my husband's profile to mine, even when his phone is no longer there and mine is. Anyone know why this might be or have any idea how to fix it?

RTPEV

Mar 21, 2016
Durham, NC
I'm not sure what you have done or haven't done, but you do have to take an additional step to actually associate a particular phone with a particular profile. It doesn't just happen, and it has nothing to do with whether or not your phone pairs with the audio system (that's a completely separate thing).

My wife and I are currently sharing my Tesla while she waits for her car to be built/delivered. We used to both have practically identical seat adjustments, but after driving an SUV for awhile, she now prefers the seat to be higher and closer, which necessitates the profile switch so I don't bang my knees on the steering wheel getting in. Unfortunately her phone's Bluetooth is slightly more powerful than mine apparently because it almost always picks hers up when we approach the car together. So even though I have my phone set up to automatically switch profiles, it only works when I'm driving alone. For that reason, I've basically just resorted to manually switching profiles anyway. It's not that big a deal. I will set her profile up with Easy Entry so that the seat moves back when the door opens and should give me enough time to manually switch profiles in case her profile gets picked up inadvertently.

• Helpful
Reactions: jjrandorin
Upvote 0
I'm not sure what you have done or haven't done, but you do have to take an additional step to actually associate a particular phone with a particular profile. It doesn't just happen, and it has nothing to do with whether or not your phone pairs with the audio system (that's a completely separate thing).

My wife and I are currently sharing my Tesla while she waits for her car to be built/delivered. We used to both have practically identical seat adjustments, but after driving an SUV for awhile, she now prefers the seat to be higher and closer, which necessitates the profile switch so I don't bang my knees on the steering wheel getting in. Unfortunately her phone's Bluetooth is slightly more powerful than mine apparently because it almost always picks hers up when we approach the car together. So even though I have my phone set up to automatically switch profiles, it only works when I'm driving alone. For that reason, I've basically just resorted to manually switching profiles anyway. It's not that big a deal. I will set her profile up with Easy Entry so that the seat moves back when the door opens and should give me enough time to manually switch profiles in case her profile gets picked up inadvertently.
I did set my phone to pair with my profile and my husband's to his...but now that you mention it, I didn't redo that when I unpaired and re-paired my phone when I was troubleshooting. I will go check that, thank you.

Upvote 0

About Us

Formed in 2006, Tesla Motors Club (TMC) was the first independent online Tesla community. Today it remains the largest and most dynamic community of Tesla enthusiasts. Learn more.

Do you value your experience at TMC? Consider becoming a Supporting Member of Tesla Motors Club. As a thank you for your contribution, you'll get nearly no ads in the Community and Groups sections. Additional perks are available depending on the level of contribution. Please visit the Account Upgrades page for more details.

SUPPORT TMC