Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Issue with android phone and radio staying on

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi there
I was wondering if anyone there has seen this weird problem.
I have a 2015 Model S 85D and it is running the latest firmware. Suppose I am driving and am on a call with audio coming from car speakers via bluetooth. I park and step out of the car with the call still going on. When I walk away from the car suddenly the radio comes on. Even when I try to lock the car using the keyfob, the radio wont shut off. The only way to stop the radio is to disconnect the call, open and close a car door.
The Tesla service center claims they can not replicate the problem. They have tried using iPhones but my phone is a Samsung Galaxy S8 Android phone. I dont have this problem with the loaner car with ,my phone.

Any idea? Is this just phone and car compatibility issue or something else? Has anyone seen this problem?

Thanks. That doesnt really work. In fact when I move the call to the the phone speaker and step out of the car, it doesnt help. The only thing that helps is, turn off bluetooth on the phone before stepping out of the car.
Anyways, I went to Tesla service center again and replicated the issues on their iPhones also.
The technician seemed quite puzzled with the issue as well. He suspects that the MCU might need replacement.

This is likely another one of the "media player improvements" added in the Version 8.0 release 2 years ago - and still not fixed.

8.0 introduced a number of strange bugs (features?) - especially related to turning the media player onto the wrong source when re-entering the vehicle (even when the media player had been previously turned "off") or frequently forgetting the current song position, current song, or currently selected media source/station.

Perhaps 9.0 will fix these problems... [Or introduce new unexpected "features".]

This is likely another one of the "media player improvements" added in the Version 8.0 release 2 years ago - and still not fixed.

8.0 introduced a number of strange bugs (features?) - especially related to turning the media player onto the wrong source when re-entering the vehicle (even when the media player had been previously turned "off") or frequently forgetting the current song position, current song, or currently selected media source/station.

Perhaps 9.0 will fix these problems... [Or introduce new unexpected "features".]

I can only hope that you are right...I rather gate it when I get back in the car and the podcast has restarted it it has changed to a completely different source. I'm no software engineer, but I can't imagine that this is all that complicated to fix

We started having problems with the media player when Tesla first introduced sleep mode in 2013. After resuming from sleep, the media player would forget what it was doing at the end of the previous driving session. Fortunately, the software had a setting to completely disable sleep mode, and that provided a workaround.

Tesla later changed the sleep settings (Version 7?) forcing all cars to go into sleep mode overnight - eliminating the workaround.

And the problems only seem to have been made worse with the Version 8 release.

The media player is running on a processor shared by multiple applications - and that is put into sleep mode whenever the car is parked for more than a few minutes. It appears the media player software isn't methodically recording the current state, and when the software goes into sleep mode and then resumes, the media player isn't restoring the most recent state, which is producing a number of undesirable "features" like having the media player turn on when returning to the car.

This shouldn't be that difficult to fix - if someone would just spend a little time combing through the media player software and more frequently saving the current state, especially before the software goes into sleep mode.

Anyways, so the service center here changed the MCU but that has not helped. I still have the issue with radio staying on in the car after I exit with phone call on. The service center guy is saying this happens only for cars in VIN range and not in the newer models. Apparently cars from different years are on different firmware branches. So basically Tesla is saying it is a Firmware issue and not hardware issue.
So the only option I have is to remember to disconnect my phone from Bluetooth every time I am existing especially if I am on a call. That is an extremely annoying workaround!

Anyways, so the service center here changed the MCU but that has not helped. I still have the issue with radio staying on in the car after I exit with phone call on. The service center guy is saying this happens only for cars in VIN range and not in the newer models. Apparently cars from different years are on different firmware branches. So basically Tesla is saying it is a Firmware issue and not hardware issue.
So the only option I have is to remember to disconnect my phone from Bluetooth every time I am existing especially if I am on a call. That is an extremely annoying workaround!

Any idea what the VIN range is? Useful information for those shopping used.

It is in 0909XX range.
Frankly I have little confidence in the service center's ability to reproduce and diagnose the problem. They had sent the car back 2 times before claiming the issue was fixed!
What is surprising is, apart from one other person no one on this forum seems to have this specific issue.

I experienced wonky Bluetooth behavior (sound quality and volume issues) when I changed the Bluetooth codec my phone would use when linked to the car. Took me two days of wondering until I remembered and changed it back.
Just throwing this out there for lack of any other leads.