Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Issue with free supercharging in Ohio and California

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I Purchased my 2019 model S during a promotional period and was promised free supercharging. This worked for the first month of ownership but it began charging me later. When I asked the sales guy about it he said there was an issue with providing free supercharging in Ohio and California due to lawmakers. I searched the Internet and found nothing on the Tesla blog or anywhere else about this issue. I asked my friend who also owns a Tesla in Ohio and he still has his promotional free supercharging. The Tesla website is still selling new vehicles with free supercharging and the issue is not mentioned.

I feel like I’m getting the runaround as no one else seems to have this issue. Is there anyone else who is being denied the free supercharging with the same explanation?

...Ohio and California due to lawmakers...

Your salesperson has been confused with:

"Unfortunately, Ohio and Virginia residents are not eligible for referral program awards."

But your transaction has nothing to do with a referral award.

Tesla will straighten it out but it might take quite an effort from you to talk to the right person.

Tesla MIGHT straighten it out if you talk to the right person enough times and after way too much effort on your part.

You have likely been snared by Elon's cost savings shenanigans. I believe the current strategy is to tell you whatever pops into the mind of the person speaking to you, (no need to be accurate) followed by ignoring you in hopes you'll just get fed up and stop asking.

Best of luck to you.
You might get fed up, but don't give up.

Just start declining charges on the credit card, when the credit card asks for backup documentation, show your sales/build sheet or whatever you have showing that your car should have free supercharging. It will make Tesla actually have to deal with it by trying to provide justification to the credit card company, so if there is in fact a legal reason, their lawyers should provide one in writing. Or, maybe they will find the right person to fix it, they have access to employees that you don't.

Your salesperson has been confused with:

"Unfortunately, Ohio and Virginia residents are not eligible for referral program awards."

But your transaction has nothing to do with a referral award.

Tesla will straighten it out but it might take quite an effort from you to talk to the right person.

I made this same point to my sales guy and he said the sales incentive and referral program are under one umbrella. Sounds like I just need to hound him.

...sales incentive and referral program are under one umbrella....

Not true.

A referral is objectionable to some states because of the argument that it takes jobs away from salespeople, dealerships, advertisements, and eventually community charity like dealership-sponsored baseball games...

However, they can't argue if a company change car prices at any time, either for more or less money or more or fewer features and benefits.

I Purchased my 2019 model S during a promotional period and was promised free supercharging. This worked for the first month of ownership but it began charging me later. When I asked the sales guy about it he said there was an issue with providing free supercharging in Ohio and California due to lawmakers. I searched the Internet and found nothing on the Tesla blog or anywhere else about this issue. I asked my friend who also owns a Tesla in Ohio and he still has his promotional free supercharging. The Tesla website is still selling new vehicles with free supercharging and the issue is not mentioned.

I feel like I’m getting the runaround as no one else seems to have this issue. Is there anyone else who is being denied the free supercharging with the same explanation?
Hi,

I was promised free supercharging when I purchased my Model S LR in December 2019 in Sydney, Australia and they have been charging my credit card for supercharging since I picked it up. Elon Musk tweeted that there was free supercharging for life on all new Model S and Model X in August, 2019 so it was not something that wasn't known.
I complained to Tesla Service and was then promised it would be fixed. I was refunded a few charges, but I am still being charged since then. Unfortunately it is now the end of March (3 months) and it still has not been fixed.

The new work from home Covid-19 plan at Tesla Australia seems to have caused less response to emails than even before!

Richard