Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Issue with front passenger window

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I searched using a few different things but did not find this, has anyone seen this problem?

My wife rolled down the passenger window to talk to my son, as she brought it back up there was a noise like someone pulling their hand across a balloon - and black goop came up out of the door. I cleaned it off, assuming it had been on the window, unseen before. But once clean, rolled down and back up - same. This is a really sticky black substance.

Took crome trim off, and look inside (with window down) - there's a flap of vinyl or similar rolled over at the down by the door handle - which has a long bead of said goop along the top edge (as well as a hole where presumably it attaches to something. As the window goes down, this flap wraps around the wires, and as it comes up - most of the time - it deposits more goop, then lays against the window.

I am assuming this is a weather-proofing flap for the door handle - but not certain. Anybody know for sure - so I can describe it in Tesla terms for the service center ???

Any input gratefully received.

I searched using a few different things but did not find this, has anyone seen this problem?

My wife rolled down the passenger window to talk to my son, as she brought it back up there was a noise like someone pulling their hand across a balloon - and black goop came up out of the door. I cleaned it off, assuming it had been on the window, unseen before. But once clean, rolled down and back up - same. This is a really sticky black substance.

Took crome trim off, and look inside (with window down) - there's a flap of vinyl or similar rolled over at the down by the door handle - which has a long bead of said goop along the top edge (as well as a hole where presumably it attaches to something. As the window goes down, this flap wraps around the wires, and as it comes up - most of the time - it deposits more goop, then lays against the window.

I am assuming this is a weather-proofing flap for the door handle - but not certain. Anybody know for sure - so I can describe it in Tesla terms for the service center ???

Any input gratefully received.

Tesla Service knows about this intermittent issue--as you described the black sealant gets onto the window due to the weatherproofing patch coming loose. Just call and make an appointment--they will take care of it.

FWIW. search these forums and you will find other instances.

Tesla Service knows about this intermittent issue--as you described the black sealant gets onto the window due to the weatherproofing patch coming loose. Just call and make an appointment--they will take care of it.

FWIW. search these forums and you will find other instances.

Thanks for the reply, could not come up with search terms which found it. Kind of good to know it's a know issue.

I have had this problem. There is a misalignment issue. I had it fixed about 18 months ago and it seems to have come back. Not the black goop, but a banging sound and the window will occasionally autoreversing back down, which I think it due to an obstruction in the door. I noticed that some people tend to push the window when closing the door, which I think has been part of the problem.