Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Issue with Go Off Grid Function

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
This is with the android version 3.10.14. The new version is not yet available. However, the pairing/go off grid options have appeared.

This morning I decided to try out the new function. Going off grid was seamless, since the Powerwall was already discharging. The documentation indicates that whenever the load exceeds 5kw/7kw, the grid relay will instantly reconnect. This would be a great way to see what our limitations will be in a grid down situation.

Oops. I already know that starting up my A/C has an momentary load greater than 7kw. Continuous, it's about 2kw. So, let's test it. When I clicked on the air, I heard the gateway relay click. 👍 Then in that moment, I realized I heard the compressor on the refrigerator stop and restart. Going around to the furnace, I could see that it had rebooted. Looking at the app, still in off grid mode. After that, it was a matter of chasing down everything that reboots in a hard blink. 💩

So this was an unfortunate, yet valuable, experience. If the grid is really down, I need to make sure the A/C won't try to run. ( I already know it's foolhardy to run the clothes dryer.) Has anyone else tried to push the envelope on the off grid test?

David

Where I live I often lose power so I have the opportunity to test it quite often. I have done a variety of testing to find the limit (I have 2 Powerwalls). My clothes dryer uses propane so that isn't a problem. I have a 2 stage AC compressor and found it will start on low stage (I can lock out high stage) when the solar is producing as long as my spa and well aren't running. Once I've locked out the AC the well and spa can work normally (along with the rest of the house) but I don't know if they have ever tried to start at the same time. Once I've got the AC started in low stage it will continue to run and the well can start as long as the solar is producing.

So, if the power is out and it is hot, I start the AC when the solar is producing (I lockout the spa and make sure the well isn't running) and supercool the house. I then shut off the AC and until I need to repeat the cycle.

Looks like the option in the v3 app disappeared now.. I had it and had paired my phone, but, checking now (since my system was upgraded to 21.31.1 not too long ago) and don't see it there.

You can go off grid by switching the gateway off and leaving the powerwall+ on.
before there was this fancy new feature "old timers" on here would switch off main breaker from grid to go off grid 😝
So i was thinking any advantage other than wear and tear on main breaker .. and ease of not having to walk back and forth to your original main panel as far as using this feature to simulate an outage ?

Reactions: MorrisonHiker
before there was this fancy new feature "old timers" on here would switch off main breaker from grid to go off grid 😝
So i was thinking any advantage other than wear and tear on main breaker .. and ease of not having to walk back and forth to your original main panel as far as using this feature to simulate an outage ?

I think that’s the big thing for me. Although other than simulating an outage the other use case I can see is during bad storms occasionally I’ll get some power fluctuations that will cause my lights to flicker, but sometimes it’s not enough to cause the system to switch off of the grid. Or it will switch off the grid, then switch back onto the grid a few minutes later and then switch off again shortly after that.

With this option I can just take my house off the grid for the duration of the storm and use my own nice clean power. Obviously I could have done that before by throwing the service disconnect, but in my case that’s outside on the side of the house, so I’m not gonna want to run out there in the middle of a bad storm.

Reactions: Electrph and GJones
This is with the android version 3.10.14. The new version is not yet available. However, the pairing/go off grid options have appeared.

This morning I decided to try out the new function. Going off grid was seamless, since the Powerwall was already discharging. The documentation indicates that whenever the load exceeds 5kw/7kw, the grid relay will instantly reconnect. This would be a great way to see what our limitations will be in a grid down situation.

Oops. I already know that starting up my A/C has an momentary load greater than 7kw. Continuous, it's about 2kw. So, let's test it. When I clicked on the air, I heard the gateway relay click. 👍 Then in that moment, I realized I heard the compressor on the refrigerator stop and restart. Going around to the furnace, I could see that it had rebooted. Looking at the app, still in off grid mode. After that, it was a matter of chasing down everything that reboots in a hard blink. 💩

So this was an unfortunate, yet valuable, experience. If the grid is really down, I need to make sure the A/C won't try to run. ( I already know it's foolhardy to run the clothes dryer.) Has anyone else tried to push the envelope on the off grid test?

David
Nope, why risk damaging something?

I get an error when PW is full or charging and solar production is high, warns me that if I go off grid, I may have a brief loss in power. Now, I've seen a brief power loss issue as well if I manually flip the main breaker in the same condition. Power in the house will glitch just long enough to cause devices to reboot. If I do the same during lower or no solar production, Go off Grid works as well as flipping the main service disconnect to off (seamless power transfer).

It should show up between Settings and Support in the app. You can also get to it by scrolling to the bottom of Settings.
Thanks for the reply. I wonder what I'm missing.
Screenshot_20211014-155022_Tesla.jpg

Attachments

• Screenshot_20211014-155031_Tesla.jpg
    Screenshot_20211014-155031_Tesla.jpg
    108.2 KB · Views: 86
I used to have GO OFF GRID in my App but last month (Jan 2022) I had a second PW installed and at the same time the replaced my old TEG1 with the new Gateway 2. Now the Go Off Grid option no longer shows on my App. How do I get it back?
In v4 of the mobile app, I still see it located on the main screen, between Settings and Support. Also, if you tap on Settings and scroll down toward the bottom, you might see it there, above Pair Phone to Powerwall.

If you don't see it in either of those locations, you can try accessing the gateway via the IP address (that you'd need to get from your router).

In v4 of the mobile app, I still see it located on the main screen, between Settings and Support. Also, if you tap on Settings and scroll down toward the bottom, you might see it there, above Pair Phone to Powerwall.

If you don't see it in either of those locations, you can try accessing the gateway via the IP address (that you'd need to get from your router).
My system was installed a couple months ago and the go off grid option has never shown up in the app. If I log into the gateway directly, it does show up there.

Reactions: Billme