Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Issue with keyless entry with iPhone 12s and iPhone 12 minis?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have used iPhones (6 and 6S) with my March 2018 Model 3 for more than 2 and 1/2 years with no problems. Recently however, we upgraded to iPhone X and iPhone 12 and have encountered problems. Seems the phones on occasions can become disconnected from the car. Not sure if this is an Apple problem or a Tesla problem but I am hopeful that one or both companies will resolve this (Bluetooth ?) issue soon.

I am thinking this is more of a Tesla/IOS software issue, and it just happens to coincide with the iPhone 12 release. I have a 2020 SE, and it has been working perfectly until ~2 weeks ago. I feel like 70% of the time it is working now. Maybe more iPhone users can chime in.

I am thinking this is more of a Tesla/IOS software issue, and it just happens to coincide with the iPhone 12 release. I have a 2020 SE, and it has been working perfectly until ~2 weeks ago. I feel like 70% of the time it is working now. Maybe more iPhone users can chime in.

As an iPhone 6 user limited to iOS 12, I’m hopeful this is a correct assumption and it gets resolved OTA.

Aside from an early issue when I had a bad Bluetooth antenna, I’ve had consistent key behavior with the 6. If the car has gone to sleep (e.g., overnight), I’ll have to make the app active more often than not (occasionally works without but I rarely test it anymore - especially during preheat months). However, I can count on one woodshop teacher’s mangled hand the number of times it hasn’t worked in a store parking lot (I don’t drive to work so don’t have an 8 hour day to test against).

As for the sleeping behavior, I tried leaving background refresh, location, and Bluetooth on in different combinations (prefer not for battery performance and security), and there was limited improvement.

I was planning on stepping up to a 12 mini in January or so but am watching this thread before making the leap. Thanks for updating it and I hope my experience with the older iOS adds some useful data to the mix.

Maybe I spoke too soon. Happened today after 40 minutes in the gym. Had been using BT headphones but turned them off before heading to the car yet, once I got there, the car wouldn't open until I woke the phone/app. Mind you, I had parked the car right in front of the building and, due to proximity, maybe it got confused by the headphone conflict (car didn't take over the audio at any time).

So, maybe it is in the Tesla firmware rather than iOS since I'm still on iOS 12.4.9 but Tesla's 2020.48.10 (just updated today); then again, this could've just been that rare occasion mentioned before.

In my experience the XS max worked most of the time. but with the 12 I have to unlock the phone all the time, which isn't seemless at all.

True. It completely negates the value of having a phone as a proximity key. If you don't know if it's going to work or not, so you have to fish out your phone just in case, or have to put everything on the ground so you can pull out your phone, you are much better off paying the price of a key fob version, which stinks because it's a step back to having something else to forget and lose.

This thread had me concerned about my plans to get an iPhone 12, so I created a poll asking iPhone 12 + Model 3/Y owners about their phone key reliability:

POLL: Phone Key Reliability with iPhone 12 and Model 3/Y?

So far the results are encouragingly positive (although I wouldn't be surprised if linking it in this thread elicits some more negative responses).

upload_2020-12-15_1-51-8.png

Iphone Mini 12 here and had 8 Plus, same issue, sometimes I can't get in with phone in pocket, have to take phone out to let screen wake up and then I can get in, it's a bug in either the app or IOS or bluetooth, I am still fine with it...it'll get fixed some day. No biggy.

Reactions: Raechris
anyone have the regular 12 pro?

Yes, go the 12 Pro in Dec. Just got back from a trip where I stayed at a house with the M3 parked outside. Basically the phone NEVER worked as a key and even opening the App did not help. The phone was just disconnected. Several times I had to use the App to unlock the car and only after I used the key card could I turn on the car. Since I got back home, the problem has gone away. I did look up suggestions for solutions and the Tesla suggestion is to turn BT on and off and that did work, temporarily.

IOS 14.4
Tesla 2020.48.35

Sentry was on the whole time on the trip but is off at home.

FWIW - I have noticed connectivity issues with the iPhone 12 Pro, data and call drops. Not necessarily blaming Tesla.

I have active phones sitting unused with active lines (iPhone 11 and a modern LG something rather), would like to compare. But nowhere to go....