Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Issue with keyless entry with iPhone 12s and iPhone 12 minis?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
No problem here. Ive had more problems with a Huawei phone, which is known to have very aggressive battery saving software. But I also havent used the iPhone 12 long enough to make a fair comparison.

spoke too soon. getting the same problem with the iPhone 12, with about the same regularity as the Huawei.

now it's getting a bit annoying having to whip out the keycard; or needing to go in the app, manually unlock the door, re-estabish connection, etc

Mine works great but my wife has the same issue randomly having to open the app to get it unlocked. I am starting to think it is more of an issue with version or bluetooth or privacy settings than it is with phone model. I am on 14.2, bluetooth=on, location=always for Tesla app. I will have to check her version/settings for comparison.

Reactions: Coltcon
I often have the problem with my XS Max, so good to know I will still have the problem when I upgrade soon to the 12 Max.

For what it’s worth, my XS Max had a faulty Bluetooth chip. Noticed my AirPods and Apple Watch would disconnect frequently even at close distances. Wonder if this is also the case for you and these new devices.

I used a Bluetooth stats app to check the signal of nearby devices and compared to a friend’s phone and noticed my signal was terrible at the same difference. Apple ended up replacing my phone and been great since.

My iPhone 12 has been virtually flawless, much like the SE I had before it. And the XS before that.

But I never force close a thing… You guys may have something with that idea. I ditched that habit when I switched from Android five years ago.

I just upgraded from an 8+ to 12 Pro Max, and I too am having more issues with the phone not connecting. I'd say before the switch I could just walk up like 98% of the time, but since getting the new phone it seems to only directly connect about 60% of the time.

• Informative
Reactions: jsmay311
12 Pro Max working perfectly. I have had an odd thing happen were sometimes if i open the app and preheat the car, the car wants the app at least running in the background. Close it from the background and the car throws up key warnings till you open the app again. But if you walk up to the cold car with the app completely closed its fine.

Also having problems with a new 12 iPhone.
There is something going on here either with Tesla or Apple and I hope it is fixed soon.
Tonight car opened with phone but would not start without the key card...frustrating!:(

I was having some issues with unlocking my 3 for the first few weeks after getting my iPhone 12 Pro Max. Things seem to be working normally again since I updated to the iOS 14.3 beta.

I'm honestly surprised to hear about all the issues. I've used the phone key with four different phones, both Android and iOS, and have very rarely had any issues. It's never worked well with the phone in my back pocket or behind my body, but nearly bulletproof with it facing the car.

I have been having the same problems since I got the 12 Mx. sometimes door doesn’t open but also sometimes I get in and hit the brake and it asks for the card key so the phone isn’t connecting right away as well. It’s intermittent but enough to be annoying.
Same issue for me but I have an android ASUS phone. The lock and unlock work without WIFI but once in the car I get the tap the card on the consol until I pull out the phone from my shirt and then it works as the key. Not sure about the walk away lock though so I manually use the app to lock. It has only worked perfectly before the last update 2020.44.25 and since it has been painful.

Intermittent problems with 12 pro. I now just hold the door handle for a few seconds. If it doesn’t unlock I pull my phone out and it usually unlocks after I wake up the phone with the side button. My iPhone 8 worked great for over six months. I then upgraded to an XS and it worked great for over two years. 12 pro is not working well.