Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Issue with keyless entry with iPhone 12s and iPhone 12 minis?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I’ve had no issues using my iPhone 12 pro as a key. Occasionally, I’ve had to take my phone out of my pocket and unlock the phone to unlock the car. I think it may be related to occasionally having my body in the way of the car. Lately, I’ve been trying to make sure I approach the car with my phone in direct view of the car (I.e., I keep my phone in my left pocket, so try to approach the car with my left side facing the car). I think this has solved the issue, but I am still experimenting.

I have an iPhone 12 Pro with 14.5 and it's still not consistently connecting. It was nearly perfect with my Pixel 3, plenty good with my iPhone 11 Pro, but only about 80% successful with my 12 Pro. Seriously considering the key fob to stop the embarrassment if my car not unlocking all the time.

purchased the car used in Feb.
never had an issue.

last couple of weeks, car wont react to door handles, takes a minute or so to actually find my phone to open the doors or charge port.
its either a new iphone update, or the recent tesla updates for sure.

Not sure range is that good. Connecting to calls is quite a bit worse than the iPhone 6 it replaced. Known dead zones that cause lost connections are at least twice the distance as with the iPhone 6. So I suspect there may be an inadequate antenna placement. (which also would explain car connection distance).

seems to be the latest iphone updates...(14.5)
Installing 14.5.1 now....
Car will not respond unless the phone is unlocked (with the app in the background and all settings ok'd including background refresh), so maybe 14.5.1 will fix it.
Long term, I see this being an issue, possibly resulting in the 'old tech' key credit card having to be used. Which would suck.

I haven’t chimed in (I think) since having to unceremoniously upgrade to the 12 mini from my 6 back in January. So far, no issues even though I still keep location and background app refresh turned off.

Occasionally, I have to hold the wand button longer than usual if the app hasn’t been accessed for a while and, more than in the past (could be due to added water weight in my thighs), the car will show the key card request screen for start up until I rotate my body inward a bit and let it recognize the phone in my left front pocket; maybe it’s time to change pocket habits.

• Funny
Reactions: smartypnz
seems to be the latest iphone updates...(14.5)
Installing 14.5.1 now....
Car will not respond unless the phone is unlocked (with the app in the background and all settings ok'd including background refresh), so maybe 14.5.1 will fix it.
Long term, I see this being an issue, possibly resulting in the 'old tech' key credit card having to be used. Which would suck.
Double check the Tesla App

Has Location ALWAYS
Has Location PRECISE
Has Background App Refresh Enabled.

You can kill the App Any time, DOES not have to be left in back ground.

You MIGHT need to bring the app up once or twice on a fresh phone, or fresh install of the App.

This method of how iOS communicates over BLE in background has been around since the iPhone 4s.

What is different is recent updates is that iOS has pushed to turn those options I listed OFF (to save battery)
Often with reminders saying “did you know XXXX has used your location 14 times in the last day, do you want to continue?

SAY YES (or ALWAYS) to any prompts for Tesla App. If you say no (or chose only while using Apps) to any, it won’t work as intended. You need them ALL. And you should check them periodically.

Tesla App won’t use much battery. Poorly designed apps that use those hooks can chew up battery.

Double check the Tesla App

Has Location ALWAYS
Has Location PRECISE
Has Background App Refresh Enabled.

You can kill the App Any time, DOES not have to be left in back ground.

You MIGHT need to bring the app up once or twice on a fresh phone, or fresh install of the App.

This method of how iOS communicates over BLE in background has been around since the iPhone 4s.

What is different is recent updates is that iOS has pushed to turn those options I listed OFF (to save battery)
Often with reminders saying “did you know XXXX has used your location 14 times in the last day, do you want to continue?

SAY YES (or ALWAYS) to any prompts for Tesla App. If you say no (or chose only while using Apps) to any, it won’t work as intended. You need them ALL. And you should check them periodically.

Tesla App won’t use much battery. Poorly designed apps that use those hooks can chew up battery.

Add one more thing: make sure your phone is facing the car when you approach it (I.e., phone in left pocket, make sure your left side is facing the car). Ever since I started doing that, I’ve had no issues with the phone key (iPhone 12 pro, IOS 14.5.1). I have my phone settings as described above. Works even when the app is not open in the background.

While it may be true that having all of those things turned on will let you close the Tesla app, there’s no requirement to have anything except Bluetooth turned on (unless you are using summon or homelink). If you have the app in the multitask cue it doesn’t use any more battery or memory than if it were fully closed.

Personally, unless I’m away from my car for an extended period (more than 4 days), I leave the app in suspended animation via the multitask cue because it’s slightly faster to open (mostly due to thumb presses the way I have it filed).

Has anyone who was having this trouble with the iPhone 12 seen improvement with iOS or Tesla updates over the months? I have an iPhone X which has unlocked my Model 3 perfectly over the last year, and I'd rather not give up that awesomeness. But ... I want to upgrade to the 12 Pro.

Has anyone who was having this trouble with the iPhone 12 seen improvement with iOS or Tesla updates over the months? I have an iPhone X which has unlocked my Model 3 perfectly over the last year, and I'd rather not give up that awesomeness. But ... I want to upgrade to the 12 Pro.
My issues just started today. It is frustrating. I've done everything anyone has suggested and still no luck. Right now my phone is connected to some random bluetooth item that is not part of our household. It connects automatically and there is no way to "forget" it as the Info icon is not there. At the same time my phone will not connect to my new Model Y. The Tesla app shows the phone key connected, but it does not open/wake the care when I get close nor does it close/lock the car when I leave. I can use the app to do the functions, but that defeats the purpose of the walk away feature.

I'm beginning to think it is the car and not Apple. Which would really suck as I hear Tesla is not that responsive to customer complaints.

My issues just started today. It is frustrating. I've done everything anyone has suggested and still no luck. Right now my phone is connected to some random bluetooth item that is not part of our household. It connects automatically and there is no way to "forget" it as the Info icon is not there. At the same time my phone will not connect to my new Model Y. The Tesla app shows the phone key connected, but it does not open/wake the care when I get close nor does it close/lock the car when I leave. I can use the app to do the functions, but that defeats the purpose of the walk away feature.

I'm beginning to think it is the car and not Apple. Which would really suck as I hear Tesla is not that responsive to customer complaints.
It is not the car. If it's only happening to iPhone 12s then it's Apple. If it affecting all phones using Bluetooth then it's obviously Tesla. I have an Android phone and have 0 issues. However on Android phones you still have to go to the settings and make sure the phone doesn't put the app in to deep sleep or some type of energy saver.

It is not the car. If it's only happening to iPhone 12s then it's Apple. If it affecting all phones using Bluetooth then it's obviously Tesla. I have an Android phone and have 0 issues. However on Android phones you still have to go to the settings and make sure the phone doesn't put the app in to deep sleep or some type of energy saver.
Good point. I’ve got my phone settings set to not shut anything Tesla related off. What’s really weird is my Bluetooth is connected to some item that is identified with numbers and letters only. I can’t find that item and I can’t turn it off or forget it. Very strange. It makes me think it’s associated with the Tesla itself.

Frustrating and disappointing.