Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Issue with Level 2 Charger

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi, I have a Lectron Level 2 charger for a NEMA 14-50 outlet, that we use for both our nissan leaf and tesla model Y. we've had it for under a year and has been working fine until this past weekend. It still charges our leaf fine but now when we try to charge our model Y, it gives us an error message of overheating and stops charging after a few minutes. Our lectron charger has the option of changing the Amps from, so we've tried it at 32A, 16A, and 13A, and get the same overheating error each time.

Has anyone had this issue? Is it a Tesla issue since the fast charger works fine for our leaf? I've thought about just getting the tesla Gen II 14-50 outlet and seeing if I get the same issue. I've emailed lectron and I've setup an appointment with Tesla service (but it'll be awhile due to work before I can take it to them). Thanks in advance.

Or something wrong with the outlet...
If you plug-in and out regularly to that outlet, the contacts in the outlet may become looser which results in more heat under the load. Probably Tesla mobile charger can detect that heat and gives you a warning.
Switch off the outlet on the control panel, open the outlet and try to tighten the wires with a screwdriver a little more.

Upvote 0
Is the message from the MY or the Lectron? Does the Tesla to J1772 adapter seat firmly in the J1772 plug? When you try charging the next time, check the tesla inlet, the adapter, and plug for temperature. Are any of them really hot (not just warm)? Also try the car at a regular destination charger to check whether the problem moves with the car.

Upvote 0