Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Issue with my backup camera after update

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Just a black screen. Sometimes it returns after about 30 seconds. Sometimes not. It’s a well known bug that seems to appear between updates.

I might be making it up but to me it seems to happen more when my USB drive has a lot of sentry/dashcam footage. After I delete the videos it seems to work super fast. If I take out the USB completely it seems to show the backup camera instantly every time.

I don't think it depends on updates... for me on the same update it's perfect for a while then it starts showing up again.

It is black for lile 2 seconds after putting it into Reverse as the camera turns on. But I do not think that is what the OP is referring to.

I have also witnessed that if the camera is on for reverse and you touch the screen for any other reason the camera closes and will not return unless you go to park and back to reverse.

Could this be your issue? My darn kid likes to play with the radio when I am backing out of the garage...

Reactions: billionaiire
It is black for lile 2 seconds after putting it into Reverse as the camera turns on. But I do not think that is what the OP is referring to.

I have also witnessed that if the camera is on for reverse and you touch the screen for any other reason the camera closes and will not return unless you go to park and back to reverse.

Could this be your issue? My darn kid likes to play with the radio when I am backing out of the garage...

This is probably not OP's issue (and I also get black screen for a few seconds sometimes before the picture appears when put in reverse) but, what you have mentioned here is another pretty annoying issue. When in reverse mode, there should not be a way to CLOSE the camera as mentally we are thinking that we have a sense of what is behind the car (given the poor visibility from the rearview mirror).

but, what you have mentioned here is another pretty annoying issue.
Yes. Kids who play with the radio are the worst. I have one of those too. Always complains my music is too loud...this younger generation are such killjoys!

And agreed, you shouldn't be able to kill the camera by touching the screen. You can bring it back by hitting the camera button near the wiper controls, but far from ideal.

• Funny
Reactions: billionaiire
I had this happen too, a few times, right after update. Maybe it is confirmation bias / placebo effect, but since I've been doing post-update reboots, the black backup camera has not happened again.
(reboot while holding the brake pedal...)

Yes. Kids who play with the radio are the worst. I have one of those too. Always complains my music is too loud...this younger generation are such killjoys!

And agreed, you shouldn't be able to kill the camera by touching the screen. You can bring it back by hitting the camera button near the wiper controls, but far from ideal.

Wow. This is a new level of trolling.

After the v10 update my backup camera is black for about 5-10 seconds then comes back on, never noticed before the update. After it comes back on it seems to be fine for that period but then comes back after the car has been sitting.